I just got a Retina Macbook Pro and have a little problem.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ramonini, Jul 12, 2012.

1. ramonini macrumors newbie

I have an external Hard drive but I connect it and its not reading it . On the windows laptop i got it reads it fine . I'm asking for help because I'm new to this whole experience . First Mac os product . Is there anything I'm MISSING ?

2. modelbehaviour, Jul 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012

modelbehaviour macrumors 6502

Yes, an external hard drive formatted to a windows computer cannot be read/written to by a Mac unless it is formatted correctly to be read by both - something to do with an MS-DOS file storage system. Flash storage, like a memory stick will work fine between both but a hard drive won't be able to read/write without reformatting.

This article (and this website in general for any other questions you might have) should help:

http://www.myfirstmac.com/index.php/mac/articles/1-external-hard-drive-for-your-mac-and-pc/

3. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

open disk utility and repair the drive permissions, if the drive doesnt appear there, there is something wrong with it.

disk utility is in apps> utilities> disk utility.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's false. Mac OS X can read NTFS formatted drives natively. It just can't write to them natively.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Open Disk Utility and see if it shows there. It's in /Applications/Utilities or you can use Spotlight (Cmd-Space) to find it.

jW

6. midtownhd macrumors member

What's the format of the drive? NTFS/fat16/fat32/exFAT?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The format doesn't matter, as Mac OS X can read any of those formats.

8. alexduff macrumors newbie

Is it a WD my passport USB3.0 drive? If so, there is an issue, in which the retina MBP can't read the drive because of the usb3 port. The only solution till a fix is there is to use a USB 2 hub. I have that exact problem.

9. ramonini thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Rohebot macrumors newbie

I was looking at getting one of those drives too. That doesn't make sense though... a USB 3.0 drive doesn't work in a USB 3.0 port?

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

This is totally accurate...if it were 1995.

----------

????

Considering USB is completely backwards compatible that shouldn't be an issue, but using a USB 3 device on a USB 3 port ...well that's just asking for trouble.

12. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Are you certain that it's an issue with the computer or drive and not just an issue specific to you?

13. blow45 macrumors 68000

rolmao!:D

----------

Huh? How's that?

14. 01mggt macrumors 6502

I have never had an issue reading ntfs drives that I can remember. I know paragon makes an excellent app that lets you read and write ntfs in mac os. It's seamless too, never even know it is there.

15. blow45 macrumors 68000

I always installed ntfs compatibility layers from the get go, so I wasn't aware I could at least read ntfs natively...strange, I don't think I had a mac who read natively, as far as I could remember...

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Format A Hard Drive Using Disk Utility (which is in your /Applications/Utilities folder)

Choose the appropriate format:

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) *Don't use case-sensitive)

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

exFAT (FAT64)
    • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
    • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. *See disadvantages.
    • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
    • Maximum file size: 16 EiB*
    • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
    • You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. *See "disadvantages" for details.

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
    • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
      [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
    • Maximum volume size: 2TB
    • You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.

17. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

He is correct. OS X can read NTFS drives without any additional software required. That feature was added in Snow Leopard iirc

If you're wondering about how it works, it's plug and play. Just plug in your NTFS drive and it'll be read by the OS seamlessly.

Don't waste your money on Paragon's software- their free NTFS-3G alternative works great on ML.

They used to offer it precompiled, but now it's source only. Presumably to make regular joes pay for their application.

Just download/install Fuse4X from here: http://fuse4x.github.com

Then download and install this precompiled NTFS-3G driver (it's the latest Jan 2012 version) from here: https://github.com/downloads/fernandofig/ntfs-3g_osx_binary_image_builder/NTFS-3G.dmg

After rebooting, open the NTFS-3G dmg again, open the 'Switch' application in Terminal, push 'y' for yes, then all currently mounted NTFS drives will be remounted using NTFS-3G so you can r/w. The setting does stick permanently so there's no need to do this every time you plug in an NTFS drive.

Source: http://fernandoff.posterous.com/ntfs-3g-20120115-binary-installer

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Leopard was able to read NTFS, as well. I don't know about Tiger and earlier.

19. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I stand corrected. In my defense, Leopard was a long time ago :p

I know that Tiger did not have factory NTFS read for sure though.

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20050521110452194

21. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Now that is odd. I distinctly remember being unable to read my NTFS-formatted hard drive on my first Intel MacBook. Might have been an issue with my partitioning then as I just formatted the drive to OS Extended/Journaled immediately afterwards.

22. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Apple used to suggest against Fat32 due to potential long term corruption issues when using such a volume under OSX. I'm not sure if this ever changed.

23. Rohebot macrumors newbie

24. alexduff macrumors newbie

There is a known issue with retina MBP and USB 3.0 drives and devices. My WD Passport and Lexar USB 3.0 card reader didn't work, but the latest update solved that for me!

25. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Fat32 is a pain anyway. 4GB limit is pathetic