I just had my first Kernel Panic!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Prof., Mar 15, 2008.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Okay, its 7:00am and about five minutes ago my MacBook experienced its first ever Kernel Panic. Here's what I was doing...

I was surfing the web, I had two tabs open (www.modlife.com and www.macrumors.com) and I was downloading two episodes of Gene Simmons Family Jewels on iTunes then all of the sudden... BAM! kernel panic. I've never experienced one before so I was like "WTF" and then my MB's exhaust fans kicked into full blast and my computer got really hot. Sooo, the little grey box told me to press the power button to preform a force shut down. I complied and I turned my computer off.

Any Idea why this happened?

2. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

You should be fine. OS X crashes every once in a while, just like Windows.

Except for less.:D

3. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

My iMac had a kernal panic when I was running nothing but Parallels, I had just pressed the button to run my Windows Vista virtual machene and... BAM!

4. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Considering I've had my MacBook for almost a year now and this was my first KP, I'd say that's pretty darn good.:cool:

5. murc585 macrumors regular

I have always found that OSX is less stable than Windows. I have been running Vista on the PC in my sig for about a year now and it has onl crashed once (BSOD) and that was because when I was overclocking my E6420 I hadn;t given it enough power.

My old Powerbook G4 12" had a lot of kernel panics, about 10 a year. I have had my MacBook for less than a month and I have already had plenty. One random one and SR MacBooks with 4GB of ram with more than 2 gigs used up kernel panic when dvd player is launched. The issue is with the X3100 driver and Apple has been notified of the issue since November and still hasn;t done anything about it. OSX is much less stable than Windows in my opinion and personal experience.

Get used to the kerne panics!

6. Masizzle macrumors member

^Bill Gates? Is that you?

I doubt you will find many mac and pc users who will agree with that.

7. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

8. chrisgohcs macrumors member

chrisgohcs

yeah i agree to some extend that window vista is somewhat more stable. seriously. my another laptop which is running vista does not have that much a prob. although its a phenomenon that windows have blue screen of death.
    osx has its spinning beach volleyball which i believe most of u experienced before.

i feel that osx is a little overrated.

just my two cents worth.

9. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

I only get the spinning beach ball when I open large apps or when i start up my mac. Other than that I rarely see it.

10. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

kernel panics don't happen that much. I've had mac for a year and a half with 2 computers and no kernel panic..

11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Have you checked your logs

/Library/Logs/panic.log or /Library/Logs/PanicReporter/

Typicallly the items of most interest are

From this example it is obvious that DVD player caused the crash and it relates to an issue with the graphics driver

12. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

QUICKLY - knock on wood... Ahhhhhhhh:D:p

13. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I'm knocking on wood too, still never had one yet. 5 months into the new Mac venture.

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

My MacBook KPs when coming out of sleep occasionally. Funnily enough that is when I have noticed Windows BSODs most frequently as well.

15. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Yep for sure. I have had my iMac for 2.5 yrs and so far NOT one K panic! Just a wee bit better than my 20 some years of windows BSD! --)))) Seemed like at least once a month windoz would lock up or have some kind of "Brain Fart"! :rolleyes:

16. Kittychan macrumors regular

My iMac is a week old. First the speakers were defect out of the box. sent to Apple to repair 2 days later I got Kernel Panic. I am so ...... but what can I do, I cannot change my whole iMac but have to reformat my mac and move on :(

17. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

I too feel that windows is more reliable. I wish it were the other way though :(

I stress my vista machine to the max and download beta video card drivers. I also usually have 3/4 of my 4 gigs used up by running applications. I hardly ever reset the machine unless required by windows update or installing/uninstalling apps. Yet despite all of this, Vista never bluescreens. App crashes do not seem to bring down the os either in my experiences.

However, my macs are secondary machines that I use while at school and on vacations. I do not do anything hardcore on my macs and primarily only use the Apple made apps. Yet the computers seem to completely freeze up and kernel panic more than vista. I notice the freezing a lot.

I wish the opposite were true as I eventually want to switch my desktop to an iMac someday. I know many will feel otherwise and probably have much different experiences with microsoft operating systems, but this is just what I have experienced.

18. sreedy macrumors 6502a

I've had a G3 iMac for about six years (Running OS X for the majority of the time), a G4 iBook for about 4 years and a iMac for about 5 months. I have yet to have a single Kernel Panic, maybe I'm lucky! I'm constantly using all the resources on these boxes too! I've also had a Vista machine at home that my wife uses and to be fair that hasn't crashed either.

EDIT: I also use XP at work on a Dell Desktop, everyday for the last 4 years with no issues!

19. yegon macrumors 68020

I had my first ever experience with a mac last July when I bought a Macbook. After all the talk of stability above and beyond Windows imagine my surprise to get 6 kernel panics in the first two weeks! I was NOT impressed.....

...but flame-me-not! Transpired it had some dodgy ram, which was swiftly replaced by the Apple store, and I've had one kernel panic in the 8 or 9 months since :)

I can only talk from my own experience but it's leaps and bounds ahead of any previous windows lappy's I've had in terms of stability.

20. DENZIE macrumors member

DENZIE

The only times I've ever experience a KP was the day after I upgraded my memory with generic no name stuff, and another time using a beta version of cisco vpn client that at the time was well known for the issue. So I decided to buy some decent memory from crucial and I haven't had a problem since.

As for windows, i don't know what vista is like cos I haven't needed to use it but xp was okay. The problem with windows I found was not a sudden crashing thing, it was the overtime slowdown of the system that lended itself to the occasional reformat. That just was not an option.

21. toxicbomber macrumors 6502a

I hate to say it but I had one yesterday when I plugged in my iPhone and synced it with iTunes! :mad: :apple:

22. GroovyLinuxGuy macrumors regular

GroovyLinuxGuy

Congratulations!!!!...you are now a man...come join the ranks of *nix users and usher in a new era......ahh forget it....congratulations...i hope your first KP didn't hurt too much :)

Cheers

23. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

I agree with that poster! My new macbook crashes nicely whenever my dvd drive gets involved! using handbrake etc seems to just not make it a happy machine! I've had 3-4 in the last week!

It must be a software thing though, as running a regular dvd works fine, just not burning them,or doing other things whilst burning it!

Still love my machine though :D

24. Masizzle macrumors member

Ok, well i never use my DVD drive so maybe that's why. Seriously I have burned one DVD in my life with my BlackBook, and it took forever so I was like "Screw this, I'm not burning any more DVD's."

I wonder if that's what causes these panics. I experienced Kernel panics once. It was probably 5 months after buying my laptop. It happened for one day, But I had like 3 kernel panics. I didn't know how to find out what caused them but they promptly stopped so I assumed it was some software I was using. Since then I upgraded to Leopard and still have yet to see another panic.

Additionally I did upgrade my memory modules, but for non kernel panic related issues.

25. Jpoon macrumors 6502

lol I love your signature
    so funny
    But yeah, I've had this thing for a couple months now, and no problems thus far.