I just missed a Sonnet Duet MDX on Ebay.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Cox Orange, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

2. harrymatic, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014

harrymatic macrumors 6502

Wow, that's the first time I've ever seen an aftermarket MDD CPU in the wild, and I've been casually looking on eBay for one for a long time. From what I've heard though, as it lacks any L3 cache, it's only about as fast as the OEM dual 1.42 CPU.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am so sorry for your loss. You have my condolences.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It works out to about $100.

Think I'll go cry in my 1.6 dual. :D

5. Cox Orange thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, it would similar in speed as the stock Dual 1,42GHz, but it would be interesting from a power per Watt perspective... for the fun of it.

Yes, 100USD for a complete MDD (with defective PSU though), but with the MDX and the stock 1GHz CPU and the graphics card still present. That would have been a cheap Upgrade...

Hehe, I have a normal Dual 1,8GHz 7447 Sonnet G4 (which doesn't fit the MDD), but I guess one can't have enough upgrades, huh? :D

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

THAT is a true statement! :D

7. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Yep, hard to find these days.

If I were you, I would have bidded higher.

8. Cox Orange, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014

Cox Orange thread starter macrumors 68000

I didn't even get to bid. I forget to be there, when the auction ended.
    I always bid in the last 15seconds (of course, not using a bit sniper, so that does not bear a certain risk, if Wifi gets slow...)

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Maybe you will get lucky and the winning bidder won't pay and it will be relisted.

10. Cox Orange thread starter macrumors 68000

Hehe, I already sent the seller an email, that I would gladly take it, if the other buyer doesn't take it or I would buy it from the buyer for 100,-EUR (about 135USD). :D

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Any reply?

12. Aameiel macrumors regular

Aameiel

I know them feels man !! I keeping auctions on iFire's :mad:

13. California macrumors 68040

California

A friend of mine probably would sell his dual 1.8ghz for his sawtooth (?) originally a 500mhz G4 PM?

Not sure if this is what you wanted --or if it would work -- but I know he wants to sell.

14. Cox Orange thread starter macrumors 68000

No nothing...
    Thanks for the info/offer, but...
    Then it is probably the Sonnet Duet 1,8GHz for all models, but the MDD. I have this version allready (I even had two, one overheating, I didn't have the tools at the time to get these torx with a nipple in the middle out, so I sold it with the description, that it freezes at 70% load and probably needed new thermal paste. It was sold for 260,-EUR, about 3(?) years ago. I salvaged it from a DA G4 that had an ACARD 2x RAID PCI card and a DL-Drive in it, too. Got that for 70,-EUR back in the days (about 1 year before I then sold it). Afterwards I bit myself, I did not get the tools instead and reapply new thermal compound. The buyer told me he had fixed it with some good old AS5. Well, but I still have the other one, so it is ok.).
    I know, I should be quiet and "meek" having already this baby (and should I mention, that I actually have a Single 2GHz 7448, too?) *duck-and-cover*

OK, I realise I really have no right to cry. :D

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

16. Zotaccian, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014

Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Who pays such prices for those? I understand those are rare and everything, but still? :eek:
    For probably 30-40USD max. I could consider if I was PM G4 fanatic.

EDIT: Hmm, there are actually couple Sonnet upgrade CPU's for sale in here Europe when looking eBay. Still, not that common CPU's.

17. abbotkinneydude macrumors member

At $400, that's not worth the expense considering it's a used item (I remember seeing the the MDX upgrades at OWC brand new for $500/$600 or less).

It's also possible to overclock a Dual 1.42Ghz processor if you want to get similar performances to the MDX upgrade for less money.

I just bought a Quad G5 off Craigslist for $350 (including a Sonnet Jive with extra drives) and it's already faster than my Penryn BlackBook Dual 2.4Ghz from late 2008.

I would advise pushing the MDD in an inexpensive manner with stuff from OWC, Ebay, Cooler Guys (for the fans), Amazon (...) and keep it around for certain tasks.

However, if you're looking for a big boost in performance, a Dual (or Quad) G5 is quite affordable nowadays.

18. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I saw that earlier when I was looking on ebay for processor upgrades (there was only a dual 1.6GHz for $150 or so a week ago) and all of a sudden I've seen much more G4 upgrades. $400 is just too out there, maybe if I could get one for $75 I would be willing to shove one in my MDD.

19. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

How I wish I am still in the US. How would you install that? Does it mean you have to trash the original copper heatsink?

20. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

MDD CPU's don't overclock well. Their L3 cache tends to burn out with anything over 1.42Ghz after some time and they get much hotter than their already hot temperatures.

21. Cox Orange thread starter macrumors 68000

Wow, when I see this, considering that the last one went for arround 100USD (including the Mac itself with a dead PSU that came with it)...
    You see a lot of 1.0 and 1.2GHz Sonnet Upgrades and even the 1,8GHz single Sonnet 7447 can be seen more often, as you would think. There was also a guy who had a "bucket load" of them a while ago and sold them one after another on the German Ebay platform. Crazy...
    The 1.0/1.2GHz ones go for 25-50EUR in auctions and the 1,8GHz for 50-80EUR in auctions.
    I have an alert message set with Ebay just for the word "Sonnet" and the category "auction".
    Yes, you don't need the copper heatsink anymore. I read in a forum once, that the ROM chip on the MDDs Logicboard is to small and therefore, if you install the Sonnet firmware, the Apple CPU firmware gets deleted, so you can't go back, if you don't know, how to get the old Apple firmware back there.

22. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Intell, can I borrow $400-600?

I'll pay you back some time… :D

23. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Only on 75% interest.

24. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL! Thanks! I think maybe I'll just take one of your cheese hats instead then. Those are free. :D