i just purchased a new mac pro yesterday...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by spencer elliott, May 29, 2010.

  1. spencer elliott macrumors member

    spencer elliott

    Joined:
    May 29, 2010
    Location:
    St. Louis
    #1
    is there for sure a new one coming next month?

    should i return this one today? i havent even plugged it in yet, but i have taken it out of the box.

    i should have come here before going to get it... damn...

    any advice?

    i just wanted to add that im not too concerned with having the "latest" mac pro... but ive saved my money long enough and if there is a new one coming soon then i might as well wait just a little longer.

    i can continue to use my G4 if need be
     
  2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

    Mackilroy

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2006
    #2
    No one outside of Apple knows. If your new machine is fast enough to suit you, why take it back?
     
  3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

    mobilehaathi

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2008
    Location:
    The Anthropocene
    #3
    I would have at least waited until after WWDC.
     
  4. the editor macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2010
    #4
    if i was you "return it" no doubt.

    chances are big there is going to be a release or at least some official info on the Mac Pro (i guess) the Pro is way overdue so an update could be any day now.

    plus you are going to get more bang for your buck, better graphics card, probably bigger HDD (1TB)...so why not return it?
     
  5. spencer elliott thread starter macrumors member

    spencer elliott

    Joined:
    May 29, 2010
    Location:
    St. Louis
    #5
    i dont even know what that is

    im not one for keeping up on such things

    are you saying i should return it? will the upgrades be that great?

    thats what i was thinking

    ok its going back today and ill wait a lil longer

    thanks
     
  6. cherry su macrumors 65816

    cherry su

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2008
    #6
    WWDC is Apple's annual developer conference. Supposedly this year people think that new Mac Pros will be released then. I'm no psychic, though.
     
  7. the editor macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2010
    #7
    good on ya!

    If one would come out in say 3-4 weeks you would feel bad, not because the mac you bought today is a bad machine, don't get me wrong its still a beast...but you would feel bad because you could have gotten more/better for the same amount of money.

    Ive been there:mad:
     
  8. spencer elliott thread starter macrumors member

    spencer elliott

    Joined:
    May 29, 2010
    Location:
    St. Louis
    #8
    so when/if they announce this how long should it take before they are available?

    do they announce it when they are ready to ship?

    i cant wait much longer...:D

    exactly

    they are pricey enough to settle for less

    thanks everybody
     
  9. Murray M macrumors regular

    Murray M

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2010
    #9
    NO: DON"T TAKE IT BACK TODAY.

    1) You've got 15 days to return it (I think)
    2) You're gonna have to pay a 15% restocking fee (I think)
    3) Makes better sense to wait till WWDC and see what happens.
    4) If you wanna pay the 15% to exchange then great, but they might announce nothing or announce something that is not a good deal for you (like the new one will ship in 2 months).
    5) You're gonna feel terrible to pay the 15%, not have a MP to work on, and then [worst case] re-buy the same computer on June 7.
     
  10. pooryou macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2007
    #10
    You are obviously not one to worry about such things, so don't worry about it. Your Mac Pro will work fine.
     
  11. spencer elliott thread starter macrumors member

    spencer elliott

    Joined:
    May 29, 2010
    Location:
    St. Louis
    #11
    actually i didnt get it from apple

    i got it from micro center here in St. Louis

    ive already contacted them about a return... no restocking fee, but only 7 days to return it

    im gonna wait and see what happens... if i have to buy the same computer again then so be it

    oh i know it would work flawlessly, but i would feel stupid if in a few weeks i could get a better machine for the same price.

    like i said ive waited for a mac pro for some time... a little more wont hurt

    to me this makes more sense
     
  12. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

    2contagious

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #12
    If you don't need it until mid-June and there's no restocking fee, I'd definitely take it back and give the possibility of having something better for the same price a chance :)
     
  13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2008
    Location:
    Thule GL @ the TOW
    #13
    ...return it, wait a little longer... what price did you get it from Micro center at?

    If you return and a new one comes out they might discount the "old" models and you could get it cheaper than the new model if you don't need those features... good luck with your decision!
     
  14. inaka macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2010
    #14
    this.

    If they announce a new line that isn't available ASAP, they still may slash prices on existing stock (like the one you just bought) making it kind of silly to buy right now as opposed to waiting about 10 days. I'd return it.
     
  15. thehost250 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2009
    #15
    No one knows

    I can understand keeping it for a few days just to see if the new ones will come out but the truth is no one knows. I had been waiting since around December for the new Mac Pros. I finally went out in January and got one that I have been using in a major way. I could still be stuck in the waiting mode that may be who knows when or I could be doing what I'm doing which is being very productive with a powerful machine. I am a power user who just doesn't spend too much time posting but I can tell you from first hand experience there are no regrets. If and when the new ones come out they are that much better then I will simply sell the one I have and get one. The reality for me is that it has paid for itself many times over so I'm not losing anything. A conference doesn't mean a new computer is coming. Check the threads here and you will a strong uniform sentiment that Apple is catering to the device market at the moment and not necessarily the Pro market.
    At the end of the day the software you're using dictates the necessity of your computer. You can have the most powerful computer available right now but if your software doesn't utilize the power then it's not doing you much good. There are not many programs that make the best use of multi cores so if there were a 32 core computer available now there is still no software that can utilize it so you would never see the benefit.
     
  16. the editor macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2010
    #16
    fact remains that its a bit silly to buy the current Mac Pro at the moment, i think everybody agrees that the current system is a good system, but also everybody who is honest must agree that the current MacPro inst very good value for money because they are "at least" 1000$ overpriced.

    it could come out tomorrow or it could come out in two months, nobody knows, but atleast wait until WWDC to buy a Mac Pro its only 9 days left. Iff you really really need it than by all means buy one, if you can wait...by all means wait, you'll get more for your hard earned money.
     
  17. covrc macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2010
    #17
    Buy Now

    Hi All,

    Having struggled with the i7 iMac for 2 months before giving up due to bad screens, I finally jumped in to the Mac Pro waters two weeks ago. I listened and read all the forums and such, but when all is said in done, I was buying the most computer I have ever had in my life with the most flexibility I could imagine. BUT, I did by refurbished to take the sting out of the POTENTIAL end of cycle for this version of this model. Getting a 2009 Mac Pro 2.6 Quad Core was a steal at $2149 and for the $2049 I paid, even a better deal. Just buy it now and don't sweat it. Fast is Fast, how much speed do you really need. I know the arguments for waiting and they have some merit, but in the end, you don't know what the price point is going to be, what the upgrades are, if any, and whatever you buy, it's replacement is already in the works.
    Refurbished is at least $350 off of new, that is a lot of upgrade right there.;)

    Good Luck with whatever you, there is no right or wrong. :apple:
     
  18. ithinkitsnice macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 27, 2010
    #18
    I ordered one in the middle of last week, and although I will be able to return it at no cost under UK distance selling regulations, I'm not sure I'll bother.

    I'm coming from a 3 year old iMac and the difference is going to be night and day regardless. I have heard all the talk about a new MP, but I've been hearing it all year — it's sod's law that it will appear the week after I get mine.

    I've already purchased all my drives and RAM 3rd party — I assume the drives will be fine but the RAM won't be compatible with the new MP. I'm sure I could sell it though.

    Is it worth the hassle (return MP, sell RAM, stick with creaking iMac for however long, order new MP, order new RAM if it's even available 3rd party immediately) at this stage? I don't know.

    If I knew for definite we were more than 2 months away from seeing these on our desktops, I'd be out and stick with the Nehalem.
     
  19. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 26, 2008
    Location:
    Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
    #19
    At first when I read that you don't care about the latest and greatest, I'd too wanted to tell you to keep your current Mac Pro because of Apple's restocking fee, but now that I've read that you don't need to pay a restocking fee. I would return it and wait for the new MP. I bought my MP right before Christmas, I wish I had the patience to wait for the new MP! You are much closer to the release date than I am, return your MP and wait!
     
  20. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2008
    #20
    Wait..

    Yea don't return it yet, unless you need the $ in the next 14 days. Like everyone has said there should be a new one coming out soon, but no one knows when. So just wait till after the 7th if no news then choose.
    I'm in the same boat A's you, I have an old 2005 G5 and want a new Mac pro bad, but I was waiting for the next one, and I was hoping for blu Ray but that was a while ago now. So I would wait out the 14 days to see what happens.
     
  21. spencer elliott thread starter macrumors member

    spencer elliott

    Joined:
    May 29, 2010
    Location:
    St. Louis
    #21
    *UPDATE*

    so i took the PM back to Micro Center. as soon as i walked in with it the store manager recognized me from the night before. i told him what i was worried about and he understood completely. all of their mac guys came over and were talking about when the announcement might happen...

    the store manager turns to me and says something along the lines of "why dont you take this one home and get used to it. you have 30 days to return it so i would advise you use that"...

    then i asked him "well what if the announcement comes after my 30 days"? he then smiled and said "we dont wanna sell you a machine that you arent going to be happy with... when the announcement is made just bring it back and we will swap it out... even if its after the 30 days"

    as i was walking out one of the sales guys was walking out with me and told me that this store manager would surely remember the situation and basically that he will indeed take care of me.

    i was blown away. amazing customer service. i will continue to shop at Micro Center.

    now i just wait for the announcement.
     
  22. calderone macrumors 68040

    calderone

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2009
    Location:
    Seattle
    #22
    There hasn't been any customer service yet. Until they follow through with their promise, I wouldn't be trumpeting the customer service of Micro Center.

    That said, I wouldn't believe them and I would return it.
     
  23. spencer elliott thread starter macrumors member

    spencer elliott

    Joined:
    May 29, 2010
    Location:
    St. Louis
    #23
    dont trust anyone eh?

    this guy wasnt lying. ive got all his info. i will also be emailing his boss regarding the situation. this way his boss will go to him to tell him what a good job he did by satisfying the customer. that will keep the situation fresh in his mind and will also not give him an "out" for not following through.

    there is no doubt in my mind that if the new MPs are released within the next 3 months that they will take it back.
     
  24. calderone macrumors 68040

    calderone

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2009
    Location:
    Seattle
    #24
    I don't trust someone who tells that they will break their policy for me.

    You think his boss is going to praise him? Are you that naive?

    Did you get it in writing?
     
  25. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

    carlosbutler

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2008
    Location:
    London City
    #25
    Are you really that distrusting? Maybe you have had bad experience with retail outlets, or maybe the suing culture of N.America. Either way, people do look out for others, and certain statements in a policy are more guidelines rather than rules. I have worked in retail (in the UK that is) and the manager is able to make a promise, he is the one running the store - if the store does not benefit from it and loose money it's their job on the line.
     

Share This Page