I just sent an e-mail to Steve Jobs

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by razorianfly, Oct 19, 2007.

1. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Quote:
    I
    Dear Mr. Jobs,

I wish to request/suggest a few software features for the iPod, which could be implemented into the next software update, and which I think would be beneficial in the long run:

1. Music Search Feature
    Currently there is no way to search through my library of music, straight on from iPod touch. I think this could be added as previous models (for example - 5.5G) had this feature. I also think this will be both helpful and beneficial to hundreds, thousands if not millions of current iPod touch owners.

2. A Backlight Timer Setting Option
    Currently when I set a gorgeous wallpaper for my iPod touch unlock screen, I am only able to see it for a matter of seconds before I am required to push the sleep/wake button or home button again. Also I think this feature will be beneficial in saving battery life, as the user could decide how long the backlight is lit before automatically dimming first, and then switching off, until a button is pushed again. I think some possible sensible options would include: 30 Seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, Backlight Off.

3. Spotlight in Safari
    I can't stress how this feature would boost the iPod touch's functionality. Currently there is no way possible of searching for a keyword or Meta tag within a page. This is frustrating as going to a page to view a certain topic; I must sift through many articles. If spotlight was to be introduced. I could simply search through Safari, a keyword, and just as the desktop version of Safari does, it could graphically highlight the finds. It would be a great and welcome addition to Safari on iPod touch.

And finally, I thank you and the iPod team for listening to my above suggestions for making iPod touch superior, and congratulate the whole team at Apple for creating a product which is going to excel every multimedia device on the planet, for quite some years.

Job well done.

Kind Regards,
    Arron Hirst

Please add to the list of your wants/wishes if you so choose ...

2. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

No need for the search-- it's incredibly easy to just click on the letter to the right and jump to it. It takes me about 3 seconds to find the band/album/song I want now, and I have 10 GB of music on the Touch. You really can't hold enough music for a search feature to be required.

With the backlight feature, most people are doing multiple things at once on their Touch, let it be searching the web and listening to music or something else. If you aren't, usually you just turn off the screen anyways.

The spotlight is a good idea, Willing to buy Google toolbar!

3. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

You should have asked him for some money...
    Not to make fun of you mate, but I just think its funny how so many people in this forum feel the best way to get an idea to Steve is to email him. I would say it's useful if you are going for the placebo effect. I'm sure it will be opened but not responded to since it seems like there is no way to actually responde to this type of email w/o revealing Apples business plans.

On another note I'm getting tired of people trying to make Apple like their best friend that one day decided to stab them in the back. Apple is a business and the larger a business grows the harder it is to be more personal. Seems like Apple is the least of all evils.

Anyways, that really wasnt as much of a rant as it may seem. :)

Arisian

4. Merkuryy macrumors regular

Merkuryy

I agree, but I always wish you good luck, because without users e-mails, Jobs can't always know what is right or wrong. I used to write a letter 30 times this size to a Chinese company with huge support from other users but no responce from the company. But I feel proud of myself to be part of the game, and that's the most important thing

5. nlivo macrumors 6502a

a feature i would want more than any of those would be able to open links in new tabs in safari?? i am still not quite sure if this is possible.

6. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

sounds familiar..

Click Here to feel better!

7. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

Father Christmas/Steve Jobs ? who care's i still want a 17" MBP for Christmas

fatherchristmas@apple.com :rolleyes:

8. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

haha Fathersteve@apple.com

9. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Meh - I wouldn't expect a response (maybe a generic "thanks for your input") nor would I expect to see a software update next week or anything.. but companies utilize user feedback. If there isn't another form online to make those suggestions, I don't see the harm in shooting the steve jobs email addy a quick note. Might be fruitless, but certainly not a silly or absurd thought - why are people poking at him?

10. shoelessone macrumors 6502

I sent "Steve" an email myself, as well as putting in a feature recomendation in the Touch feedback page on Apple's website.

My idea/question/request was for iPod Camera Connector compatability, because one thing that's keeping me from purchasing a touch is that for 300 dollars I'd like some way of easily sharing photos "on the road", in large part because I'll be doing the ol' backpacking around europe thing next summer, and i'd like to be able to send photos to my family/blog.

The idea would be to allow you to get a thumbnail version of your photos on your camera/memory card, select the photos you want transfered to your iPod (along with a option in the settings menu as to what resolution to download them as), and then they'd be added to the photo application. Once (assuming) you can purchase a "mail" application similar/exactly the same as on the iPhone in Feb., then you can email the photos/etc.

11. shoelessone macrumors 6502

Yep, this is totally correct. Many people get responses from "Steve", most are most likely from assistants, etc, etc, but some are no doubt from the man himself.

12. razorianfly thread starter macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Thanks for everyones input. Maybe it was right thing to do, maybe it was the wrong.

I'd thought i'd give it a shot anyway.

R-Fly :)

13. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

LMFAO, yes, I think he is. Clearly he is not aware of the design flow, and it doesnt necessarily start with Mr Jobs.

...it is cute, though.

14. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Do you really think Jobs is going to see that email? Think about it....

15. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Just preparing him for the real world ;) Its no dreamy fantasy world out there.

16. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Agreed, Steve Jobs probably won't see it, but that email address is monitored by Apple staff, so it is not an unreasonable thing to do.

17. razorianfly thread starter macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Can I just clarify something ...

No, I am not 'simple' or 'slow' or any other degrading term you wish to associate me with.

I simply decided to send an e-mail to Steve Jobs' public email address. Anything wrong with doing that? - No.

And Yes, there have been cases where people do get replies back. No-where did I state that I was expecting a reply back from Steve Jobs himself. I simply stated 'I'll let you know if I get reply'. So no, I wasn't expecting a reply from Steve himself, but someone at Apple will do. Even if I don't get a reply, as a previous poster said, I'll feel better knowing i've contributed.

Im actually quite offended I got this responce from (what I thought) was the start of a friendly, and discussion provoking thread.

I'll think twice next time.

Good Day.
    R-Fly

18. ynblood macrumors member

razorianfly,

Thanks for taking the time to write the email and telling us the suggestions..:)

19. agentkow macrumors 6502

agentkow

Yes, except if you're searching for a word you know is in the title of a song but not where in the title, like if you're searching for songs that contain "Love" or, like on the other iPods, you're searching for a contact's name or some episode of a tv show or a specific video clip. The quick letter search is nice, but it's not helpful if you don't know what you're looking for.

Also, I appreciate the comments of the original poster, and would like to throw my request for lyrics support, if only to bring the touch in line with the other iPods, out into the ether.

20. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

What dreamy fantasy has he claimed to have? He sent suggestions to an email addy that's known to be monitored - big whoop. He hasn't stated that he expects anything to come of it or that he's expecting a lengthy discussion with Jobs himself because of this email.

Do you not think the team that reads those emails have channels throughout the company that they filtrate those emails through (ie: customer service, development, applecare, etc)?

Preparing him for the real world.. :rolleyes: Please.

21. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

It's typical of all the smart asses and know it alls here! You did nothing wrong and atleast your trying to improve the device.
    WTG! For those others that will Flame, BYTE me!

22. triela macrumors member

You use the words "right" and "wrong" as they apply to whether you should have sent the email. Why would there be anything wrong with sending a cordial email?

That's not what's wrong. If you made any mistake at all, it was to invite scrutiny from the anonymous internet to a message of what appears to be sincere optimism (and the way you titled the post doesn't help too much).

The anonymous internet has a large faction of cynics and skeptics, to say the least. What's easier than being an anonymous internet cynic? Then things like sincere optimism become indistinguishable from naivete.

23. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

wow

24. triela macrumors member

Heh. I actually enjoy your 1 and 2-word revelations and/or dismissals when you find posts that agitate your refined senses.

...or should I have just posted, "Yes?"

25. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

haha, I'm not sure how much sarcasm was intended in that comment.
    Thanks I guess :D

Arisian

ps
    or should I have posted 'ggaaaaayyy!'?

EDIT: you arent gay, thats just a one word answer that i could think of