I just sold my iPhone 7 so what next?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ColdShadow, Jun 8, 2017.

1. ColdShadow macrumors 6502a

ColdShadow

I just sold my 3 months old iPhone 7,now using my spare iPhone SE while deciding whether I should buy Galaxy S8+ , or wait for next iPhone and Note 8 or just buy an iPhone 7 Plus.

Original plan was to replace my iPhone 7 with 7 Plus.
    But seeing Galaxy S8+ ,it's hard to justify buying old,outdated,un-necessary huge design of iPhone 7 Plus at this point.

and iPhone 8 rumours and leaks so far are pointing to an un-attractive design with crazy price tag.

2. blaine07 macrumors 65816

Have both here. Man the S8+ is a beautiful device I'll say. In my experience battery life is equivalent to that of 7+. Depending on conditions cameras both take excellent photos. I wish I had more time to list pros and cons but I certainly don't regret s8+ purchase.

3. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

At this time of the year I would say forget the iPhone 7 Plus and just wait for September so you can then make up your mind on which phone you want between the iPhone 8, Galaxy S8 or, if it ever get announced, the Galaxy Note 8. Plus, if you choose the S8 you’ll probably have it at a lower price than if you buy it today so waiting is a win-win.

September is only 3 months away and you already have an iPhone SE which is only a one year old phone so it’s not like you are in a urgent need of a new phone.

Just remember that you may be switching from a completely different operating system if you choose the Samsung route, which could be hard to get used to. I have seen a lot of people really enjoying their Samsung phones because of their amazing build quality but quickly go back to an iPhone because of iOS.

4. ColdShadow thread starter macrumors 6502a

ColdShadow

I had a Galaxy Note 5 for 6 months and it was a replacement for my iPhone 6.
    It was later replaced by an iPhone 6s and later an iPhone 7.

so I'm familiar with Android platform
    I'm aware there are pros and cons to each platform,generally I prefer iOS simple,clean approch but can't ignore it's huge cons such as lack of file management and no SD card.

the S8+ hardware specially that OLED display is so superior to iPhone.and of course the design is night and day different,Galaxy a decade a head.

also I love quick access to camera with double click on side button.

5. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

If your drive is mostly hardware than I would wait for the new iPhone.

6. ColdShadow thread starter macrumors 6502a

ColdShadow

Yes,but based on leaks new iPhone doesn't look that exciting and then there is the $1000+ price rumour.
    so I think it's time to ditch iPhone,at best case scenario,they will be playing the catch up game hardware wise.
    it's just the matter of iOS vs Android.
    Samsung has clearly won the hardware and design battle.

7. maxjohnson2 macrumors regular

SE is still a great phone. Save your money for the Note 8 or iPhone 8 or Pixel 2.

8. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

To me it looks like you already made your decision, get the S8 and try it out for 14 days.

9. blaine07 macrumors 65816

Problem with new iPhone is while yes it may be available in 3 months it will be back ordered for another 6

10. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

You're looking at leaks different from mine. /* shrug /

But if the S8/+ is the bee's knees for you (and it is pretty, no doubt)...buy it. My big problem with the S8 is that's it's a little too long. #2 would be the rear FPS.

11. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I guess you will find out on September 19th what you want next.

12. ColdShadow thread starter macrumors 6502a

ColdShadow

What I keep seeing is ugly vertical camera lens,thicker body and some even show touch ID sensor under Apple logo.
    So when I compare this to the S8 there is an instant winner..

13. bufffilm, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

All of those are likely...yes. The FPS is up in the air...I think the front.

But the S8 IMO isn't a home run either. The FPS probably will go back to the front next year...which is good. I'd love to see a return to the S7 size...

The S9 and the ip8/+ will prove to be a battle, I think. The S8 battery could be better...I hope the S9 improves on that.

14. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

Yeah seems so to me too, just go ahead and buy it. Hope you enjoy it OP, otherwise you will still have the 14 days return period.

15. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

16. nordique macrumors 6502a

I'd wait to see what Apple offers with their OLED phone. I think they'll do a good job.

Worst that will happen is S8 becomes cheaper to obtain, Pixel 2 is launched (and if it follows pixel 1's footsteps it will be an incredible phone)

You'll only have more options by waiting haha

At this point in time, wait and see...Enjoy the summer

Use the SE till then....It's a fantastic phone!

17. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

I also think if apple gets the FPS on the screen you will regret not getting it.

Thats a pretty big deal imo.

18. Fuzzball84 macrumors 6502

iPhone 7 was a waste of time. Yes it's one of the nicest looking and best performing phones but the price is far too low. Apple used to be a premium, luxury focused company yet they are now ubiquitous. iPhone on every street in the pockets of children, teenagers and pensioners. We need less common and more up market prestige and rarity.

Budge the prices up at least double and those that carry the iPhone 8 will be much much prouder.

19. iApple_man macrumors regular

iApple_man

When you say that, top bold, do you mean forget it because its 8 months old? I agree with everything else you say, especially the bottom bold, but the 7 plus, or 7 for that matter isn't bad to get now either.

20. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

Not because it’s 8 months old, the iPhone 7 is an amazing phone and will still be after the release of the iPhone 8 but unless you can have a discount, I don’t see the point of spending 800 dollars on a brand new phone when you know you can have much better for the same price in only 3 months. I mean it’s worth the wait isnt it ?

21. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

As someone who owns both a S8 and iPhone SE, I believe I can offer really great advice. The iPhone SE is a great device to use, especially when waiting for the late 2017 smartphones. You know that you have iOS 11, Apple Pay, frequent updates, Wi-Fi calling, great battery life, a 4k camera, a fast processor, sufficient RAM, frequent app updates, Touch ID, and a premium build smartphone. You can use that device to your liking up until the next phones. Waiting is perfectly fine because the S8+ pricing will only drop, not go up.

As for the S8, it's the best phone I have ever owned. The screen is drop dead gorgeous and not just a mere 640p display. I love the camera, biometric features, software features, dual edge screens, USB-Type C quick charge, phone design, amongst the other features. Battery life wise, the S8+ is incredible from my dad's usage on his. Bluetooth 5.0 will do wonders along with the Gigabit capable LTE-A radio. I believe you will enjoy the S8+ as well.

However, the Note 8 and iPhone X will be relative unknowns right now because of various rumors. Will the Note 8 get a 4k screen, 6gb RAM, and a new processor? Will the iPhone X have a rear fingerprint sensor (same with the Note 8 in question) or a front-facing one? Could there be hardware defects with both phones? What will the pricing be? Do I need the S-Pen? Would I need the additional hardware on the Note 8 vs the S8+? Will the iPhone X have iOS 11 features exclusive to the device? These are the questions that will be answered as time goes on.

My recommendation is to wait because you save $ and your current SE is a great stopgap phone. I know that once my S8 goes back to my carrier, my loan plan will be cancelled out. I will go to using an iPhone SE for awhile before committing to a Note 8 or iPhone X for 2-3 years.

22. Brandonjr36 macrumors 6502a

I personally would've probably tried the s8 out but didn't because of the finger print scanner on back is stupid. Especially where it's placed. I thought about getting the note 8 because it was suppose to have fps embedded in the display. But I heard yesterday that it won't be so it will most likely be iphone 8 for me if it has the Touch ID embedded.

23. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

It is apparent to me that you already have your mind made up on this before starting this thread.

24. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

People are overstating the rear-FPS issue. It takes adjusting to, but it isn't meant to be the primary security measure. Biometrics can be Iris Scanning or Facial Detection. I think the S8 is great even despite the FPS. If Apple puts one on the back, regardless of current rumors, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

25. ColdShadow thread starter macrumors 6502a

ColdShadow

wrong.
    I definitely haven't.
    only iPhone 7 Plus is out.