I just tried painting for the first time today, it was amazingly fun!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by chrono1081, Sep 24, 2011.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I posted this in community since its just a random excitement thread.

For the first time ever (aside from crappy school watercolors) I tried painting! They offered lessons at the craft store I live near and it was amazingly fun. I think I am now addicted!

We painted with acrylics on canvas. I never knew how cool it could be. The closest I've gotten to painting was Corel Painter (I do a bunch of digital work) but I never got to try the real thing even though I've always been "paint curios" :p

I hope eventually they offer sculpting classes too, I'd be all over that :p

Anyone else try anything new that they found out they like recently?

2. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I tried oil painting once, but it looked like a 6 year old had done it! It's really hard.

3. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

My whole life I've been into art in various media. But it wasn't until about ’08 that I tried sculpting. I was shocked how easy it came to me and how fun it was. It seemed easier than drawing, on my first try.

Don't wait for them to offer lessons. Just get a $15 block of clay and a couple of tools and give it a shot.

You should post a pic of your painting.

4. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I'm horrible at drawing, but never tried sculpting. I did a pottery project and an abstract color construction paper design at school a while back. They both turned out pretty good. But, you know, anything related to school I don't like. :)

I think in this day and age, it's really hard to put down your mouse for some traditional fun like painting. It's fun every once in a while, but when you're given something on the cutting edge, all the other stuff people used to do for fun (fishing, playing in the park, riding your bike, throwing a ball around, etc.) seems boring.

I know I'm not speaking for everyone, as many people DO do the things I mentioned still, but not as many. I think most people like watching TV, going on the computer, pulling out their iPhone, etc.

I am a person of balance, though. I just find it more difficult to force myself to go swimming in the pool when I could just sit on my butt posting on MacRumors.

5. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I JUST got into amateur photography, totally intrigued by it because im taking a photography history class in college right now.

6. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I quite like pencil drawing, graphics and drawing certain fonts. Painting not so much because I find it difficult. But it's still good. I like to think of myself as an 'artsy' person.

7. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

I do plan on trying sculpting once I graduate and have more time. The closest I got was ZBrush (which I use all the time but obviously its not real sculpting). I always look at the clay section when I go to the craft store.

As for the paintings they're awful but no matter. Here are my first two paintings: (Literally since we really didn't have art in my school).

Attached Files:

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

At school in our jr years we have to choose an art option to take (music, drama, languages, dance or actual art art). I chose art art. It is pretty fun :p ...But I've got a cr*p load of paint on my school uniform now:eek: