I just unboxed a new 3G and it's scratched +++

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kassy111, Jul 20, 2009.

1. kassy111 macrumors newbie

has light leak on one side. There are a few scuffs/scratches on the silver bezel - right out of the box - should I exchange it or would most of em have the same thing? I am sure they wont open up many new phones just to please me.

2. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Do you have any pictures of the scratches?

I find the bezel to be a magnet to scratches. Even if you get one with a perfect bezel, it will scratch with time.

3. kassy111 thread starter macrumors newbie

no pics...

I just took it out of the friggin box, literally 10 mins from Apple store. They're not major and case would probably cover them anyway - I'm being anal, perhaps, but I know I didn't do it. I'm sure the Apple store will just laugh and not replace it anyway - they could have done it when they hooked it up? It could have been done in shipping? who knows. All I DOknow is that they're not gonna sit there and open iPhones till I find one that's perfect to my anal AS$ ya know...Do you think, though, that I should give replacement a try or just live with it?

4. BMac702 macrumors regular

Right out of the box? Your not being anal, you paid $100 for that thing and it has defects right out of the box? Replace that ish!

5. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

6. kassy111 thread starter macrumors newbie

I paid $99...

but wil they even replace it for a scratch and light leak issue? They could always claim that I scratched it or something like that right?

7. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

If it really bothers you, I'd return it and buy a new one.

If you bring it in to an Apple store, if they replace it, it will be with a refurbished iPhone, and I'm sure theres bound to be some scratches on the bezel.

Did they activate it at the store? Honestly, the genius' at the Apple store over here handle products so rough, I've seen them just drop iPhones from a few inches above the counter, or flip macbooks and put them on their heads and slide them around a bit, its nerve racking just watching them at work.

8. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

9. kassy111 thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought it at apple...

and it's been suggested that perhaps I got a refurb instead of a new one - is that possible? I am a new customer and bought a new phone. You're also saying that they will replace it with a refurb even though I just got it? that doesnt sound right.

10. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

- Tell them that you want a new one and not a refurb one.
    - Tell them that you got a refurb one instead of a new one because of the scratches and that you want a new one with the box all wrapped.
    - Tell them that you are a paranoid person who is afraid that the phone is going to damage sooner because its a refurb.

11. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

If this was a brand new iPhone, I would expect it to be brand new. Go back into the store and demand for a brand new replacement straight out of the box. I would just pack the whole thing back up and bring it into Apple store, and won't leave until they swap it.

Only time they'll replace it with refurb is when the phone is having issue and within warranty, which doesn't apply to your case. You were simply given a crap phone to begin with.

12. kassy111 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did see the guy...

unwrap the phone from celophane - the serial number is 84919xxxxxx with a part number of mb04xxxx/a

I am sure they would sell a refurb as a brand new would they? I just dont wat to go in there saying there's a tiny scratch, which there are several, and them saying I did it - can't prove I didn't ya know?

13. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Seriously?

It's real easy... you bought a new phone that has scratches on it... take it back.

I fail to understand why this is such an issue

14. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Well that's between you and the Apple rep.

15. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Tell them that there was no protective wrap on the phone when you unboxed.

Telling this will prove that the phone as been used and it's a refurb and want a new new new one.

16. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

No, you got a brand new iPhone that had one or more issues. Just return it to Apple and they will exchange it for an new one. On the replacement make sure you check before you leave the store. Just focus on the "Light" leak as the major error. Now on the new one, please as the rep to let you examine the phone before it is activated.

The only time you will get a refurbished iPhone from an Apple store is if you get a warranty exchange.

Last March, I got a refurbished iPhone 3G from AT&T Premier and the only defect that it had was a minor scratch on the "Apple" Logo on the back of the iPhone. It had been returned with a notation of "minor blemish". You do understand that it is a phone and will get one or more scratches but I understand that you want to have the honor of making all the scratches.

Dave

17. laughingperson5 macrumors 6502

I think they would replace it. Light leak can lead to dust under screen which Geniuses usually replace.

18. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Take it back and get a NEW one without the scratches or the light leak....:(:(:(

19. GarySky macrumors newbie

Take it back for an exchange! Not acceptable for a new iPhone. :mad:

20. John T macrumors 68020

John T

When anyone goes to a store to buy something which they later discover to be unsatisfactory, what do they do? The take it back for a replacement! It's their right!

Instead of bleating to the wide world, why on earth don't you do just that?

Sorry to sound abrupt. :)

21. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

I took mine back to o2 and got a replacement for a very badly scratched bezel

22. telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

I bought a New 3GS 2 days ago and found a large scratch on the bezel, I didn't bother going back to the Apple store as I will get more scratches in time even with care. The bezel is a scratch magnet............

23. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Because clearly that would have helped in this situation...

24. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

No, I really don't think they sold you a refurb.

Your best bet is to return it and then buy a new one.

That being said, I understand you're annoyed it has scratches on the bezel, and I can see where you're coming from, but, the bezel is so easy to scratch, I can almost guarantee it will scratch in the near future more, even with a case.

If you can, and I know its easier said then done, I would really try to live with it.

25. army91c macrumors 6502a

My other post was deleted because I wasn't playing nice with the other kidies..... So I will re-write it nicer. IF you walked out of the store with a scratched up phone that wasn't very smart. Why would you drop so much money and not look at the product before you accepted it? If I was a AG and you came to me saying you bought the phone that way, I would laugh you right out of the store.... I say lesson learned and deal with the scratches. Now a light leak is a totally different story, but again, why wouldn't you check for that type of thing before you take ownership?