Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
I have an iPhone SE and I use TouchID. I check the time and my notifications countless times a day. It's easiest to wake the phone using the home button, because "Raise to Wake" doesn't always work, and using the top button requires me to completely take it out of my pocket and even use my other hand.

So, often, I will press the home button to check the time and put the phone back in my pocket. Then I realize I've been on a FaceTime call with someone for 20 minutes, or I've sent random texts to people or that the camera has been on for hours and my battery is drained. I've accidentally unlocked my phone with TouchID when pressing the home button.

Is there a way to separate "unlocking the phone" and "waking the phone" into two separate steps?

I've tried enabling "Rest Finger to Open" but it doesn't solve the problem: pressing the home button still unlocks the phone way too fast sometimes. I just want to check the time without unlocking the phone, so that it can't accidentally do stuff in my pocket without my knowledge. I basically want to avoid unlocking it by accident.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I have an iPhone SE and I use TouchID. I check the time and my notifications countless times a day. It's easiest to wake the phone using the home button, because "Raise to Wake" doesn't always work, and using the top button requires me to completely take it out of my pocket and even use my other hand.

So, often, I will press the home button to check the time and put the phone back in my pocket. Then I realize I've been on a FaceTime call with someone for 20 minutes, or I've sent random texts to people or that the camera has been on for hours and my battery is drained. I've accidentally unlocked my phone with TouchID when pressing the home button.

Is there a way to separate "unlocking the phone" and "waking the phone" into two separate steps?

I've tried enabling "Rest Finger to Open" but it doesn't solve the problem: pressing the home button still unlocks the phone way too fast sometimes. I just want to check the time without unlocking the phone, so that it can't accidentally do stuff in my pocket without my knowledge. I basically want to avoid unlocking it by accident.

I have a 7 and when I want to check the time I push the power button button. Does the SE have a power button?

Reactions: ACST and akash.nu

kingvwardhana

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2017
Same with me, i got an iphone 7 Plus. I think it's just the touch ID works really quick, which means good in functionality point of view.
My suggestion would be just press the power button to check the time/notification without having to accidentally unlock the screen.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
I have a 7 and when I want to check the time I push the power button button. Does the SE have a power button?

It does, and that would indeed work. It's just that it's not always practical to use the power button. When I take the phone out of my pocket, my grip is already near the home button so it's less fiddly to just press the home button to quickly check the time. I wonder if there's a way to wake the phone with the home button, without unlocking it. Maybe one press to wake it, and another press to unlock it would work, but I can't find a setting to do that.

On non-touch ID phones this was easy, you couldn't accidentally enter the passcode, plus you had to swipe right first anyway, so waking and unlocking was two separate, deliberate steps even with the home button.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
It does, and that would indeed work. It's just that it's not always practical to use the power button. When I take the phone out of my pocket, my grip is already near the home button so it's less fiddly to just press the home button to quickly check the time. I wonder if there's a way to wake the phone with the home button, without unlocking it. Maybe one press to wake it, and another press to unlock it would work, but I can't find a setting to do that.

On non-touch ID phones this was easy, you couldn't accidentally enter the passcode, plus you had to swipe right first anyway, so waking and unlocking was two separate, deliberate steps even with the home button.

Ok when I take my phone out of my pocket my thumb is always near the power button.

Reactions: ACST

kingvwardhana

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2017
I assume when you take your phone from the pocket, the nearest finger to the home button is the thumb. Set the Touch ID using other finger (eg. fore finger, middle finger, etc).
Therefore, press with your thumb will not unlock the screen :)

jo.Lo

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2017
Germany
Did you register all your fingers? I just use one I didn't scan to wake it up when I don't want to unlock t.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

You want to disable “rest finger to open”. That’s why this setting was added after the faster TouchID was introduced. With it disabled it will require an additional press to go from the lock screen to the home screen instead of it happening automatically just from your finger being in contact.

Or, alternatively, I don’t understand why you can’t use the power button to wake.

Reactions: ACST and akash.nu

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
I use my thumb, but slide it farther down the thumb pad so it does register the ID fingerprint.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015
I use the tip or sides of my fingers rather than the pad when I want to check the screen for the time or notifications. Basically, you just want to depress the button without providing the full fingerprint.

Reactions: SparklyApple

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
You want to disable “rest finger to open”.

If I disable it, it still goes to the home screen when pressing the home button to wake the phone. The problem is that disabling "rest finger to open" only changes the behavior of the power button and raise to wake. If you press the home button to wake the phone, it registers as a home button press, so it goes to the home screen straight away. It would be handy to have to press it twice, or something, but really I'm getting used to it now and I press it with the side of my thumb or I press it so fast it doesn't register.

As for why I don't use the power button: I don't want to take the phone out of my pocket every time I want to check the time or notifications, so I take it out just enough to see the screen, and I'd have to take it out fully and maybe even use two hands to press the power button, it's fiddly. But no big deal really.

This is definitely a first world problem though!

Reactions: ACST

ACST

Suspended
Sep 5, 2016
Wow this is a whole other way of complaining. Apple gives you a platora of possibilities for this (raise to wake, power button, non-registered finger on home button) and still you find it not enough...

This is why we can't have nice things.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
If I disable it, it still goes to the home screen when pressing the home button to wake the phone. The problem is that disabling "rest finger to open" only changes the behavior of the power button and raise to wake. If you press the home button to wake the phone, it registers as a home button press, so it goes to the home screen straight away. It would be handy to have to press it twice, or something, but really I'm getting used to it now and I press it with the side of my thumb or I press it so fast it doesn't register.

As for why I don't use the power button: I don't want to take the phone out of my pocket every time I want to check the time or notifications, so I take it out just enough to see the screen, and I'd have to take it out fully and maybe even use two hands to press the power button, it's fiddly. But no big deal really.

This is definitely a first world problem though!

That's not what should be happening. "Rest finger to open" has nothing to do with raise to wake or the power button. Just like it says it's supposed to allow or disallow the ability to directly to the home screen by letting your finger simply rest on the home button after waking, as opposed to having to press home. Apple added this setting specifically to address what you're talking about.

Reactions: cambookpro

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Put the phone in your left pocket speaker down facing in toward your leg. When you reach into your pocket, pull it straight up and angle it away from your body to check the screen. From this position your thumb should be right on the power button.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
As I recall, disabling "rest finger to open" should have it work that way, but I also recall it was somewhat inconsistent at that. Best bet might be what has been suggested in some other posts as far as either using the nail or side of a finger or another non-registered finger, or the top button, although all of those might not be as convenient.

Last edited:

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
That's not what should be happening. "Rest finger to open" has nothing to do with raise to wake or the power button. Just like it says it's supposed to allow or disallow the ability to directly to the home screen by letting your finger simply rest on the home button after waking, as opposed to having to press home. Apple added this setting specifically to address what you're talking about.
If you have rest to finger on or off it works the same way.

The op wants to press the home button just to check the time, having rest finger to open on or off, it goes to the home screen either way.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
If you have rest to finger on or off it works the same way.

The op wants to press the home button just to check the time, having rest finger to open on or off, it goes to the home screen either way.

Just hit power button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.