I keep getting calls and texts from an apple store iPhone. What should I do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by diehardmacfan, Aug 11, 2009.

1. diehardmacfan macrumors regular

I got a missed call from a phone number one time so I called back with no answer. Now I keep getting phone calls and text messages saying the most random stuff and one person said he was texting from an apple iphone. I have a prepaid plan and it is bringing up my bill. It annoys me. Should I call apple and should they reimburse my fees. Thanks

2. hamish5178 macrumors member

Most phones have a "blacklist" that allows you to block specific numbers. One of your friends probably put your number in the iPhones contacts as "Sexy Mama" or something like that.

3. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Go to the apple store and remove your name from the contacts :D

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) NEVER call back a number you don't know if they don't leave a message.
    2) Are you sure it is the same number calling you each time? If so, call back, ask whoever answers what Apple store they are at, call the Apple Store, speak to the amnager, and have him clear the phone.
    3) Call your cellular service provider to put a number block on your account for that number (and inquire from them about reimbursement of charges, not Apple)

5. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

It should be easy enough for them to track down the number and have the staff take your number off the recent calls list.

6. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

Wait - so is it number 1 or number 2?

7. RAGING DEMON macrumors member

RAGING DEMON

Hmm

I HAD THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO ME WHEN THE ORIGINAL IPHONE CAME OUT! A FRIEND OF MINE SENT ME A TEXT MESSAGE FROM THE LONDON APPLE STORE, AND WITHIN 2 WEEK I RECIEVED ABOUT 20 MESSAGES!, went to the apple store and checked all the working display phones, and behold messages from one of their store phones had the messages I'd been sent! Deleted it! Problem solved!!!

8. diehardmacfan thread starter macrumors regular

i have no idea what apple store it is at. the area code is not in my area.

9. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

I would go to the apple store, call it, find it, delete yourself from it.

The Demo's never usually have the same number as the area they are in. Just start at your closest store

10. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

The apple store nearest to me has an iPhone with a San Jose areacode

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Time for a road trip......
    Track it down, and once you get to the apple store and locate the culprit iphone smash it on the ground :D

12. diehardmacfan thread starter macrumors regular

So you want me to start at the store nearest to mine and than continue visiting every single one in the country until I find that damn iphone? LOL

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'd imagine Apple wipes the demo phones every so often. It won't go on forever.

14. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

If you had an unlimited Messaging plan, you could flood it with txt messages. Otherwise, I would keep calling until someone answered, and follow the advice above...... ask for the Manager. If you figure out it's a Private phone doing this, start calling them at 3:00 a.m.

15. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

summer road trip

16. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I didn't realise the store demo models would actually work as phones! I thought that feature would have been blocked to avoid buffoonery...

Is there any restriction, or could you just walk in and dial the speaking clock in Australia?

17. big_malk macrumors 6502a

It always baffles me how you can be charged for receiving a call or text in America, it really does!

If you called back and spoke to a customer, you might make it more interesting for them if they knew they were annoying someone, depending on the customer obviously.
    Getting the number blocked by your provider is probably the easiest and most reliable option.

18. SeanMcC macrumors regular

Only way to block the number with AT&T is to add a "Smart Limits" package to the account ($4.99/month).

19. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Agreed. If the computers are wiped every night, the phones are likely to be as well. If not, maybe once a week.

20. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

People calling you probably won't hand you over to a manager. Buy you could try calling the phone 30 minutes before the store opens. There will probably be employees in the store and although it may take a few days, if you consistently call at a set time for a few days somebody will get curious and pick up.

21. big_malk macrumors 6502a

Really?! I'm sure in the UK you can get numbers blacklisted to stop harassing calls and such like for free from any network. Maybe I should appreciate our networks more, seems we're quite lucky :p

22. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

Believe me it IS annoying. Especially since I moved here from the UK, where that doesn't occur. US cell phone companies are double dipping since a 10 minute mobile to mobile call they receive 20 minutes worth of charges.

23. Ericatomars macrumors regular

okay well txt the number and find out the location, call the apple store and tell them about it.. either someone played a mean joke on you or someone entered a random number and it happened to be yours... it's happened to me before and it stopped after a week. But if its not stoppin for you then do a little dective work and figure it out...

24. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

ha this is pretty funny...

saved in contacts as "Call for Free iPhone!" ;)

25. big_malk macrumors 6502a

That would put me off texting people unless it was pretty important, incase I used the last of their credit for nothing; I'd hate it to happen to me!