I knew I shouldn't have switched to mac...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vegasj76, Sep 1, 2009.

1. vegasj76 macrumors member

I've been using Windows since 3.x. Other than having to use one at work 13+ yrs ago for a few months, I haven't touched a mac.

I bought a mbp 13 about a week ago because I wanted to play with iphone development. I've been using it everynight when I get home from work. The more I use it, the more I don't want to touch a machine with Windows on it. Why does this suck, because I'm a .net programmer. I HAVE to use Windows 8 hours a day now.

No really, I'm sure you guys get this a lot, but I really really love this mac. Not just the software or OS, but the hardware. It hurt spending $1200+ on a laptop, but from the moment I pulled it out of the box, I could see where the extra $$$ went.

Anyways, just wanted to share that with a bunch of strangers on the internet.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
  3. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Congrats and officially, welcome to the family.

To quote the Dead..."Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."

It's a wonderful feeling when you get shown isn't it?

4. devburke Guest

Well since you have to use Windows, you could just install it onto your Mac. You could even use Parallels or VMWare Fusion to run Windows inside OS X, so you’ll never have to leave OS X behind!

5. Pundle macrumors member

I know exactly what you mean.

I was once a .NET developer like you, and in 2006 I bought my first Mac: an iMac. I was an instant convert. Then it came time to get a new laptop for work, and I couldn't resist getting a MacBook. I had it so I was using Windows through Parallels. This worked well enough because I could use Visual Studio in Parallels, and for everything else I used Apple software.

Since then I've realised the error of my ways and have totally left Windows behind. I'm no longer a .NET developer, and indeed I don't use Windows at all now. Yes, buying a Mac inspired a career change for me: it made me realise software didn't have to be painful, and in being a .NET developer, although it was easy to get a job, I was contributing to the Microsoft machine.

I wouldn't say Apple is less evil than Microsoft, but they sure do make better things.

6. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

One of my regrets about switching is that computing used to be a hobby of mine. Fixing. optimizing, tweaking and reinstalling were routine.

With OS X all that is not needed - it just works. Which is great, but bang went a great hobby. On other hand, the cars have never looked so clean...

7. MKCLLNS macrumors member

I think we should give him the secret welcoming ceremony!

8. devburke Guest

Well you could always dual-boot Linux if you really wanna get your hands dirty :p

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

yeah that's a simple fix, if u use windows then run bootcamp.

10. three macrumors 6502a

three

11. vegasj76 thread starter macrumors member

I'd love to, but I work for a government facility where we can't bring in so much as a thumbdrive, let alone a laptop. Trust me, I would if I could.

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Although your thread title is weird, I get were you were going with that, and I will say CONGRATS!!! Enjoy it. Apple is smart company making a very popular phone and making sure that development of applications for it are done with Mac OS X only to get people to buy a Mac because they knew people would fall in love with the Mac once they really USE it. Cheers mate. :)

13. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

14. vegasj76 thread starter macrumors member

Nice post - good to see I'm not alone.

I'd love to get out of developing in .net, but the job availability and salary for .net'ers is hard for me to give up. I'd love to learn how to develop mac/iphone apps and spend my next 10 years doing that, but I rarely see any jobs and when I do, they are always "Looking for iphone dev, I have great ideas, you just need to code them for me. You get 20% of app store revenue" - you know how that goes. Anyways, I guess I'm a little curious as to what you do now and how lucrative it has been. I'm a little jealous ;)

As I mentioned in a another reply, I can't bring my laptop to work, so I have no reason to bootcamp/parallel it to run studio. Plus, I almost want to keep anything m$ off this macbook.

I can't agree with you more about Apple, the company, being any less of an evil corp. than m$. In fact, the "I'm a mac" commercials delayed my buying a mac for a long time because I felt they flat out lied or danced around obvious mac issues (although there only a few I can think of) that PCs have the advantage. But you're right, they just make better stuff.

I'm already this happy after my first week and I still don't know all my shortcuts and way around the OS. I'm very excited about how much more I'll come to love this mac after I am familiar with it. I'm already trying to figure out which iMac to get to replace my home desktop PC ;)

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

16. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

if you want to develop .net with your mac, you should check out monodevelop.

im not joking, with the mono framework, ive run multiple .net windows binaries on mac. any i think apps built with monodevelop can run on windows.

17. vegasj76 thread starter macrumors member

My apologies about the thread title - I'm pretty bad at sarcasm. Yes, I admit, that was a smart move. I did try doing some iphone dev with a hackintosh and that was a huge waste of time. But the end result was worth it, because it made me get this mbp :)

18. damian001 macrumors newbie

I felt the same way as you OP when I bought my first MacBook Pro (the same 13" you got for $1200, but I got it for $1100 with a student discount)

I had a bit of buyer's remorse during the first week, but now I see my purchase was really worth it. :)

19. pflau macrumors 6502

Just get Parallels.

I do both Mac and Windows development. I run Windows on the Mac full time.

20. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You can run Boot Camp. My Dad is doing that with my old MacBook. And I'm doing that too. The new 3.0 Boot Camp drivers from SL allow you to read HFS+ partitions, ex. your Macintosh HD.

21. pflau macrumors 6502

I have learned to develop on the iPhone using Xcode, which comes with all Macs. I would not say developing for the Mac is better or worse than develop on Windows. It is different, not better. It might not be worth your while to switch career just to think maybe developing for OS X is "easier".

22. tmacdjd macrumors newbie

Congrats, Im in exactly the same boat......kind of.

I have officially been in my job for a year on Sept 9th. I had never used a Mac before i had this job, came straight in as an Ad designer and FELL IN LOVE WITH THE iMAC. I made it a one year goal to save up and buy one for myself.
    My Laptop (Running windows) is on its last legs so timing couldn't be better.

The good news is. I ORDERED ONE YESTERDAY!!!!!! WOOOOOOO Cant wait for it to arrive. Immediately i will get the CS4 app's on, iwork etc.

Spec's if anyone is interested are 24" iMac 2.66GHz 4GB Memory 1TB hard drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics.

Im am too fully converted.

23. Dry Rot macrumors member

I've lived in a strange and slow but good parallel universe to most here since 1996. Always had Macs which were good in their day but their day had well passed by the time I got mine.

Until now with my new iMac. Wonderful machine, well exceeding my expectations.

Look forward to your delivery day. Enjoy!

24. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

25. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

...it's a touch of irony..... ;)