I know Optibay invalidates warranty but...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Jun 1, 2010.

1. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Can it be done so if I need to restore the SuperDrive to how it was, Apple will have no way of knowing Optibay was ever done?

2. Xombie11 macrumors regular

Yes, there are no stickers.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The Optibay procedure did not void my warranty when I took it in last.

4. Mirabella macrumors regular

When I called Apple Support to ask, I was told it only voids the warranty on the optical drive, not the entire machine.

5. brucem91 macrumors 6502

Mirabella: I didn't know that, I think I might have to reconsider it now. Would this in theory make a great way to use Time Machine? That way you can back up no matter where you are, and not have to bring an external HD? Or better yet, a backup OS on the second drive incase the original goes kaput. That would be cool.

6. Mirabella macrumors regular

I'd still want to get it in writing, Bruce. (And I will.)

I'd prefer if my backup was in a different location. Actually, as it is, I keep backups in multiple locations. As for what I can fit into the case, I'd want to use all that speed and storage.

7. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Wait so you can bring in your laptop, Optibay'ed and all and as long as it's not related to the optical drive, they'll service it? Can anyone else confirm? Curious!

8. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

No one can possibly answer this question, unfortunately. The truth is it will completely depend on the store and even the "Genius" you take it to at that particular store.

I've had some stores replace computers, iPods and iPhones that other stores completely denied. I've even had an employee at a particular Apple store replace an iPhone that another employee at the same store refused to do, because it was "against company policy".

But, as others mentioned above, there are no warranty voiding stickers inside the MBP's that are attached to the optical drive in any way. Your best bet, if you want to be sure you are covered under warranty, is to install the optibay and keep the optical drive laying around. If you find you have to take it in for service, just swap the optical drive back in.

Once you know what you're doing, swapping the optical drive in and out should just be a matter of minutes.

9. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

It wouldn't protect you if your MacBook is stolen or lost. Would be interesting to find some statistics about number of broken hard drives vs. number of stolen laptops.