iPad I know the iPad 3 got iOS 7, but will it also get iOS 8 ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MikeS007, Sep 24, 2013.

1. MikeS007 macrumors newbie

Just bought an iPad 3 and was wondering if it will get iOS 8 and if I should have gotton the 4 instead ?

2. Celtic Warrior macrumors regular

Celtic Warrior

If Ipad 2 gets it, probably iPad 3 is going to support iOS 8.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If the iPad 2 got iOS 7, the iPad 3 will probably get iOS 8. As long as the iPad 2 keeps getting updates, you can consider the 3 solid for at least one more update cycle. You may miss out on some features, but you'll get the overall bundle.

4. tann macrumors 68000

I think the iPad 2 and 3 will get a very limited iOS 8, with the mini getting slightly more. E.G. there may be a lot of air drop upgrades or uses in the next version which obviously both 2 and 3 won't get.

5. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

iPad 2 will be killed off next month and it definitely wont be getting iOS 8.

6. bobright macrumors 601

Yes most likely but even if it didn't it runs fine just now still a great device...

7. Rootus macrumors 6502

To be honest, the 2nd generation iPad should not have gotten iOS 7. It just does not perform quite well enough IMO.

8. Elijahg macrumors regular

Runs great on mine. Runs pretty damn well on my iPhone 4 too.

9. Curun macrumors 6502

Curun

Maybe. It makes an incredibly cost effective low cost education device for the masses of middle-high schools, etc.

iPad Mini regular could take it place though.

10. twintin macrumors 6502

I concur with Elijahg, runs beautifully on my IPad 2 too.

11. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

Yes

The iPad 3 is still more powerful than the iPad 2 & the current iPad mini. It has at least one more iOS verison update ahead of it...

12. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

iOS 7 runs good with my iPad 2. :apple:

13. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Who cares? You have 12 months until the iOS 8 upgrade, enjoy your device and stop worrying about whether it'll get an update or not. :rolleyes:

14. springsup macrumors 6502a

springsup

No. All evidence points to Apple hating iPad 3 owners.

15. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

Evidence?:confused:

Oh you mean, your iPad 3 suddenly stopped working because Apple discontinued it, but still continues to support it with iOS updates :rolleyes:

16. springsup macrumors 6502a

springsup

"support" is relative. It has the bare minimum support. No Airdrop, no translucency effects. The writing is on the wall; the iPad 3 was a rushed product full of inadequate hardware, and it will struggle to meet your longevity expectations.

17. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

I don't think it will perform well enough, but Apple kind of had to give it iOS7 as they are still selling it.

18. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

No Airdrop is a hardware limitation. Only devices announced after iPhone 5 (including the 5 as well) have the latest wifi chip needed for it to work.

I think it will get iOS 8 (not full functionality) and that's it.

19. Sy7ygy macrumors 6502

I concur, Eli. ;)

20. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It doesn't have AirDrop because it doesn't have the correct hardware. Just like the 4S doesn't have LTE.

You are correct though. The writing is on the wall that at some point the iPad 3 will no longer be supported. Its a shame that all the iPad 3s have mysteriously stopped functioning. Weird huh?

21. mono1980 macrumors 6502

Except that the iPad mini has the exact same specs as the iPad 2 and I doubt they will stop supporting it with the next update.

22. springsup macrumors 6502a

springsup

Apple make a big deal out of how most iOS devices are on the latest OS version, and encourage developers to write Apps which only support the latest version of iOS.

You don't just buy a product like an iPad for what it can do out-of-the-box; you buy it factoring in longevity and 3rd-party App support. It's clear that for the iPad 3, those two factors will drastically fall short of many people's expectations.

It becomes an even bigger issue when you start considering iCloud. Will iOS7's iCloud remain compatible with whatever changes Apple might make in the future? My iPad 1 didn't even get iOS6, and as such is unlikely to ever support iCloud CoreData sync (which was overhauled in iOS7).

As for AirDrop, you're right that it's a hardware limitation. That doesn't mean it's not Apple's fault they didn't ship compatible hardware. Android smartphones have had chips with WiFi-direct support for ages.

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You buy an iPad based on what it can do now, and you use your judgement on how much support you think it will get in the future. Your iPad 1 got three OS versions, that's pretty good.

I think you're just looking for things to complain about in regards to your 3 because you mention AirDrop which is a hardware limitation. Its like complaining that your iPad 1 didn't get LTE. You're also complaining about a feature of iCloud which may not work at some undisclosed time in the future.

The iPad 3 will fall short of your expectation, but only if you have unrealistic expectations.

24. ramram55 macrumors 6502

No one can predict the future, just liken to asking doctor how long will the life journey last.
    You buy an ipad the max you get could the full use for 3 or so years should be enough. Technology is on the go every 18 months, so they say.

25. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

Not true! My magic 8ball just told me that iOS9 is going to run on my iPad3 and that "signs point to yes" that I'll live to be 110. :rolleyes: