i know this is a mac forum but....

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by aPple nErd, Aug 30, 2012.

1. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

ok i have a 2009 hp ms225 pavillion desktop. it has a 350 gb hard drive, running windows 7 and an amd athlon II. it takes literally 25 minutes to a half an hour for www.google.com to load, and then it usually has several errors. i have defragmented, clearde the catch, and deleted unused software. also the fan is like a leaf blower. what should i do?

----------

also i might ad that i am getting a mac next week but want to use this computer to run a minecraft server on(very basic) so i need it to last a few more years. but the imac im getting will be my main computer.

2. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    The first thing I'd do is hit up the task manager and see what's eating your CPU cycles.

Secondly, taking a can of air to the vents probably wouldn't hurt. I've never heard of Windows booting that slowly due to heat issues, but it's not totally out of the ballpark to assume that could be a problem.

Thirdly, I'd go ahead and uninstall/reinstall your wifi/NIC drivers just to see what happens.

3. jaysen macrumors 6502

I would wipe it completely and start over, especially if you're considering using it as a Minecraft server. If that isn't an option, install Microsoft Security Essentials, run it, and clean out all the spyware/adware software. limit startup programs by running msconfig in the run bar and check minimal startup. Then go out and Buy some more ram

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think you should reinstall Windows on it, completely. It'll be like brand new, provided that there are no hardware issues. (A faillingù hard drive can cause the computer to act very slow)

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This, as well as the other poster who said to blow the fans out.

Another thing is your machine is from 2009, sure its only 3ish years old but its not unheard of for drives to go bad within that time. A new speedy drive could be what you need.

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I usually consider a complete reinstall as the last ditch resort. Something to be avoided unless you have absolutely no other options.

Though really, if he's only using the computer as an MC server, I'd suggest he look into a really light Linux distro. Something like Damn Small or Tiny Core would provide him enough to get everything up and running without having to learn too much, and run with far less overhead than Windows.

7. jaysen macrumors 6502

Very true, but I assumed the OP has very little computer knowledge - hence his question - a linux distro is ideal, but way over the OPs skill level.

8. skunnykart macrumors regular

you didn't mention ram but it could very well be a memory problem. Check your mem.

9. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

ok so my question is, how hardware intense is runnin g minecraft and running minecraft servers? i dont want to ruin my new iMac

----------

also, where would i buy a new drive for a very cheap price. all that i would haveon it accept the os would be safari, itunes, and minecraft client. no other programs. so i guess a 80gb would be fine.

10. murphychris macrumors 6502a

Either a runaway task is eating up CPU cycles as someone else mentioned, or the drive itself has problems.

When sectors start to go bad, the disk ECC can take as long as 2 minutes for deep recovery to reconstruct the data in bad sectors. So there may be a pile of bad sectors in critical areas the OS occupies that have become difficult to read. The way to confirm this is with smartmontools and running the extended test and analyzing the results. This leaves data intact on the drive but will not repair the problem.

The alternative is to zero the disk (write zeros to every disk sector) causing the disk to remove persistently bad sectors from use, then restore from backup.

11. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I wouldn't waste any time or money trying to upgrade it. Every HP laptop I've ever owned (company and family) has been a huge smoldering pile of crap. Just trying to reinstall Windows is a royal pain with all of the proprietary drivers and hardware, that's if you can even manage to do it without constant blue screens. Trash it, cut your losses, and get a decent replacement, preferably a Mac.