I know this is ridiculous but...next update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rogue2131, Apr 15, 2010.

  1. rogue2131 macrumors newbie

    Apr 15, 2010
    Now, I by no means need a new computer now (I've bought 2 in the past 2 years) but I'd finally like to get a Mac because I'm just tired of Windows.

    I would only get a 13" because I used to have a 15" and it was just too large and not worth it in my opinion. It sucks that Apple treats the 13" inch segment like a 3rd class citizen but I don't use many graphic intense programs or anything like that.

    Does anyone think it's possible they'll be an update before the end of the year? I would love to buy a new one in July when there's a tax free weekend but if they'll be a new version in October-November I'll probably wait. Does Apple have history of updating that quick?
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core


    Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
  3. gadgetfreaky macrumors 65816

    Oct 28, 2007
  4. eawmp1 macrumors 601


    Feb 19, 2008
    Yes, it is.

  5. rogue2131 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 15, 2010
    So from the rumors section it looks like there's an average of about 7 months between updates. That would put it sometime around November-Decemeber

    It sucks that they only have the free iPod promotion during the Summer.
  6. Sn0wball macrumors regular

    Apr 30, 2009
    The end of the year, December, is eight months away.

    Including the latest 13th April release, the average wait is 6.7 months.

    So it's entirely possible another release will arise before the year is out. You're looking at November or December 2010. A Christmas release.
  7. d0mth0ma5 macrumors member

    Jul 26, 2008
    It's almost as if they plan it that way...
  8. seong macrumors 65816


    Feb 11, 2010
    No and yes.
    Apple will have update near the end of the year, and that's because of OS X 10.7. I know many of you heard of it, and from a source (don't know if it's trustworthy), 10.7 is only compatible with nVidia graphics, excluding intel's GMA processors. The beta is to launch as soon as WWDC this summer.
    There isn't going to be any more 'graphic-update' for Macbook Pro 13" nor other high-end Macbook Pros, because as you can see, Apple is moving towards Battery life compared to graphic. They will eventually switch to ATI HD later on, but for time being, there wouldn't be any 'major-update', unless Steve Jobs feels like it.

    BTW, face recognition would be a cool way to log onto your computer for 10.7.
  9. Sn0wball macrumors regular

    Apr 30, 2009
    Not very secure, though? You just hold up an A4 photo of someone else's face in front of the webcam and log yourself in to their account/laptop. :D
  10. Cali3350 macrumors regular

    Feb 16, 2009
    Yes, id say theres a great chance they will update in November. Intel will have new lower power Arrandales out (that have the same performance - NOT ULV processors) and I'm sure Apple will snatch them up.
  11. FnuGk macrumors regular

    Aug 6, 2009
    could you give a link to the source? not that i dont believe you i would just like to read it too :)
  12. Jaro65 macrumors 68040


    Mar 27, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    A relatively minor refresh before the end of the year would make sense. SJ did say that they had big things planned for this year, so hopefully this is not it yet for MBP's.
  13. andiwm2003 macrumors 601


    Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I do not believe for a second that apple builds a OS that is exclusively dependend to a third party GPU.

    Latest with it's release it will support any GPU that Apple wants to, including older ATI GPU's.
  14. Icaras macrumors 603


    Mar 18, 2008
    California, United States
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

    Since when was it announced that 10.7 would be coming out this year?
  15. Iphone3gs macrumors 6502

    Jun 10, 2009
    this update was 10 months

    this update was 10 months.

    Macbook pro may be updated even Jan/Feb.

    It may be even another 10months for the next update...or even a year.

    If sales are still strong...then you may get an update much later on.

    Hope they put new processors in macbook 13"...want a icore 5 processor in their.
  16. jgodden macrumors member

    Apr 8, 2008
    I bought my 13" pro in march, When the new models came out, I called the store, and since it had only been 3 weeks since I ordered, they offered to let me have the new model if i wanted to pay a $150 restock fee, OR they would give me $100 back. I chose the $100 back. The upgrades to the 13 inch model arent that great, and Since I got the top end model, all im missing out on is slightly faster processor od the same type, better graphics card and more HD space. The HD i plan to upgrade to 1TB on my own, which they do not offer, and the graphics card on this works fine for what games I play on here. So I will wait till they offer 13 inch MBPs with i3/i5 before I upgrade.

    I refuse to be saddled with a laptop that is too big for my tastes just for better performance out of a processor, which shouldnt have depended on the size of the laptop. Now, had they offered i3 in the 13 inch model, i would have opted for the upgrade.
  17. iLog.Genius macrumors 601


    Feb 24, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario
    Pretty sure they'll do the minor refresh (faster CPU's). I don't see Apple riding this configuration for the rest of the year.
  18. ahmen9 macrumors newbie

    Apr 15, 2010
    i saw some macbook pro had been updated within 4-5months right after their first release.
    Correct me if im wrong.
  19. pastparticiple macrumors regular

    Apr 13, 2010
    Whatever the update is it will surely be disappointing in regard to what we WANT and if we are "lucky" Steve will introduce something new that he has manufactured a NEED for.

    October is not far off and with the delay this time I doubt they will do anything by then as they seem to be slacking off on Laptops. The poor Macbook Air has been totally forsaken it seems.
  20. ahmen9 macrumors newbie

    Apr 15, 2010
    but then, im really sad with the core2 duo in 13inch.
    I feel like to purchase but then im worried apple is coming out with another new update on processor(maybe i3 or i5?) very soon.
  21. cathyy macrumors 6502a

    Apr 12, 2008
    We might receive a minor update at the second half of this year (high chance for 13"), but we probably won't get Sandy Bridge or ATI 6000 GPUs until Q1 of 2011.
  22. palmerc2 macrumors 68000


    Feb 29, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I'd say November timeframe,

    Jobs said it himself "New Macs for 2010 are going to take Apple to the next level" and like others have mentioned....this update isn't really "next level" material but simply catching up. I'll def be buying the next round of MBPs
  23. pipep macrumors member

    Dec 18, 2007
    my guess is probably we will not see an upgrade this year.

    Apple is calling the new babes "MacBook Pro (xx-inch, Mid 2010).

    I'm not a detective, but I don't remember a "mid" year update followed by a "late" year update.

    I bet we'll see an "Early 2011" MacBook Pro, wich means Jan or Feb.


    P.S. If this update was named "early 2010" then it would be a whole different story
  24. BaronStein macrumors regular

    Feb 11, 2010
    Next update? Not a hard question. But this is Apple, expect the unexpected.

    June 2011 with a new design. It just feels so...
  25. Sn0wball macrumors regular

    Apr 30, 2009
    Or, morelike, "this is Apple, expect to be underwhelmed".

    This last update had so many hopes that were dashed. A day late and a dollar too expensive.

Share This Page