Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

docgerrard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Can I buy a macbook air now..

Then buy another one on tax free weekend, which falls within 14 days of today..

Then return this one that I payed tax for?

Obscurelight

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
NYC
pretty sure you can, since they have to refund you the amount you paid and not at the current price unless its a permanent price change.

docgerrard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Well the point is that I can save 140 dollars!

And I just really want one now, thats all!

Plus, school starts August 17th for me, and this would give me enough time beforehand to test out the MBA and if I am not happy with it, order my second option and have it shipped to me in time for school to start.

Otherwise, tax free weekend falls from August 5-7 and I would have to wait until then!

Also, there is a chance I won't be in town that weekend and so I would have to order it online. This would further delay me getting it.

Obscurelight

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
NYC
Well not a bad idea since if you buy it during tax free week and find out you want to switch for something else you'll miss out on the tax exemption.

nvcplus

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011

First, where do you live that you pay $140 in taxes? o_O

I live in Chicago (some of the highest taxes in the country) and still only paid $90.

Second, yeah dude, that is sneaky and wrong. But you're gonna do whatever you want, so why ask us? Is someone here really going to talk you out of it?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Nothing wrong with it. It's not unethical at all. He's operating within the parameters of the system that they set up. Go for it. It's essentially a more roundabout way of "price matching" items that go on sale a week later.

Obscurelight

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
NYC

I live in Chicago (some of the highest taxes in the country) and still only paid $90.

Second, yeah dude, that is sneaky and wrong. But you're gonna do whatever you want, so why ask us? Is someone here really going to talk you out of it?

I'm in NYC and I paid 136 and some change in tax. :(

docgerrard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011

i'm not asking if i should lol.

i don't think it is unethical at all, and i'm sure some people agree with me.

i was just asking if it was possible to do!

Minhthien

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
i'm not asking if i should lol.

i don't think it is unethical at all, and i'm sure some people agree with me.

i was just asking if it was possible to do!

Thats a great idea! How about the first unit you buy and its a Samsung Display and Samsung SSD? R you still gonna return it and maybe get a LG display?

nebulos

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
No returns policy gets abused more than walmart's :eek: once a person in front of me returned expired milk and she bought it before it went bad too.

i was told that a friend of a friend used to buy those huge bags of dog food, take half out, make up the difference with gravel, and return it.

!

OP, if you could take yours back, do a return, and buy the same laptop again, but deduct the tax, i guess i would think that was much better. my guess is that's probably against policy, though, and won't be possible;

you could do that with a place that price matches, but this wouldn't be a price match.

nebulos

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
you can't order from amazon or macmall or whatever without getting charged taxes?

iAAPL

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
Wisconsin

And I just really want one now, thats all!

Plus, school starts August 17th for me, and this would give me enough time beforehand to test out the MBA and if I am not happy with it, order my second option and have it shipped to me in time for school to start.

Otherwise, tax free weekend falls from August 5-7 and I would have to wait until then!

Also, there is a chance I won't be in town that weekend and so I would have to order it online. This would further delay me getting it.

When you say school, do you mean college? If so, does your school sell Macs on campus? Many schools sell computers tax-free if a laptop is required for one of your classes.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011

You do realize that tax is a percentage of the total sale right? So if he buys a more expensive MBA he's going to pay more taxes. A 1400 purchase here gets you $136.50 in taxes.

That said, yeah, just wait.

Kyllle

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2011
sure you can. It's not really abuse of the return policy, Apple knows people buy things knowing they will return them sometimes.

Are you sure the tax-free thing includes computers? At least in texas, it only includes clothes and school supply-type things, definitely not electronics. If you want tax-free, just buy from amazon. Unless of course you're in one of the few unlucky states that already has to pay tax on amazon purchases.

Otherwise though, I think this should work fine. You'll have to transfer all your data to your second MBA after you return the first one though, so it would be wise to keep both until you've gotten everything off the original.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.