I know you guys heard this a hundred times already but...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bankaimadness, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Bankaimadness macrumors 6502

If someone is a gamer, should they stay away from Macbook pros completely? It is mind blowing how laptops that cost upwards to $1,100 can be so bad at gaming compared to a $850 PC laptop.

I know.. I know.. You guys heard this a thousand times already, but I am still flabbergasted.

I seen some gaming threads on here where the newest edition of macbook pro are able to run the newest sim city in "1280x800" with 20-30 FPS.

I mean are you guys really happy with this?

I hate to be one of those people. However, I want to inquire more on this. You guys are willing to spend a lot of cash for low specs?

No offense. Just pure curiosity because I have never gotten a good logical response before. I dropped that question before, but now I want to know.

2. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

IMO, the Mac is not built for gaming. The only real difference in the Mac, from a gamer, is its poor GPU. I mean if you look at the Razer Blade... literally the only difference is the OS and the GPU and no retina screen. It looks the same, and the rest of the specs are very similar.

Outside of the Razer, Mac is much more sleek and portable. It has an excellent build quality, which is in part what you are paying for. PCs can remain cheap because everybody and their mother can make one. Only Apple makes Mac.

I agree that these machines are expensive though. I think Macs only downfall is poor GPU and really no upgradeability. You are stuck with what you buy. It would be nice to at least be able to change out the ram.

3. laurihoefs, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013

laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

If gaming is the single most important thing you use a computer for, then I suggest you stay away from Macs.

I've yet to see this mythical beast that would be significantly cheaper than a Mac and still have better specs. Care to show me one?

Last time I was getting a new laptop (to replace my aging ThinkPad) I considered a couple of Lenovos and HPs before settlng in for a rMBP, because it was actually cheaper than the comparable W-series or Elitebooks with IPS screens and other similar specs. Yes, I'm sure that if you pick a laptop with worse build quality and worse screen, you can get one with a better GPU than any of the Macs have. But then you are already comparing apples to oranges.

4. Bankaimadness thread starter macrumors 6502

What do Macs offer that Windows generally don't have?

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Why do you need a logical response at all? If you do not feel the Mac is good for gaming then by all means, take your money elsewhere. I don't see why you need someone to justify what they spend their money on, ever.

While you mask your post with ******** such as "just looking for a logical response", you prove that there is no logical answer in your opinion when you write something such as "I mean are you guys really happy with this?" Bottom line is if you're convinced that it is absurd that someone can be happy with certain specs then there's really no reasoning with such a person.

For the record, you are one of those people, ten fold.

I will say this, as a Mac user, if I were gaming frequently and wanted to game on a computer, it would be windows all day every day. That is just me though.

6. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Depends which Windows laptops you compare them against. You know that there are different Windows laptops for different uses out there, ranging from a couple of hundred dollars to tens of thousands, right? Are you also wondering what a $2500 EliteBook offers over a $850 laptop?

7. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

If you are a gamer, you should stay away from laptops in the first place.

8. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

Yes. And that's why a lot of people here have gaming desktops (gaming notebooks have rly stupid power/money ratio)

For me it's: Mac for productivity, surfing and all the university stuff and Windows (desktop) for gaming. ONLY. There is no other use for windows imo

9. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

What are you comparing it against? The OP said Macs are too expensive. That may be true but when you look at cheaper laptops.... they are indeed cheaper in price, but also in quality. If you want to compare against the quality of the laptop then you are going to pay about the same.

10. durkkin macrumors regular

There's also the fact that a lot of games for Macs are just poorly ported PC games. They're not optimized and result in terrible frame rates regardless of specs. Bootcamp it and switch to windows and suddenly the performance doubles or triples.

It's not always about hardware. Most here believe that Mac software, OS and programs, is superior to that of a PC, but that software is also built for Mac. It's the same reason why an iPhone with "subpar" hardware will outperform a 2GHz quad-core Galaxy S4.

11. Bankaimadness thread starter macrumors 6502

I am talking about the Y410p Lenovo laptop

4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
    14.0" HD+ Glossy LED Backlit with integrated camera 1600x900
    NVIDIA GeForce GT755M GDDR5 2GB
    8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
    1TB 5400 RPM

You say this is a good price for $820? (on sale)

12. Bankaimadness thread starter macrumors 6502

I want to know if I am missing any vital information before buying a computer. I want to know why people lean towards macs.

It isn't that hard.

Also it is pretty absurd to spend more money on specs that are lesser than spending less money on specs that are more superior.

Hey call me crazy but I hope I am not the only one that thinks this way.

Why are you so hostile? I am in this discussion in a very calm manner.

13. Rick-ITA macrumors regular

New rMBP will actually be superior in gaming performance if you compare them with this specs.

Amazingly better monitor (2880x1800 IPS retina), on "expectation" the same dGPU (since we expect something between GT750m, GT755m and GT760m), better processors (High end i7, and not low end i7), and much much faster SSD.

The point is that this will cost you 3 times more (around 2400 instead of 840$). Does it worth? For gaming and nothing else IMHO no.
    But if you need to pick your laptop with you, if you want a much more durable and resistent laptop, if you want a decent OS and not windows 8, if you value a good screen, etc.. well things differ.

IMHO you can play games in an high end rMBP (boot camp on windows if not an OS game). But it will cost you a lot.

14. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

1. Software (OS X)
    2. Build Quality: (the overall quality and especially the Keyboard and Trackpad are superb). You can buy Windows machines with a high build too, but those business machines (especially from HP and Lenovo) are about the same price as a mac (with the same hardware). In general: specs=/=quality
    3. customer support: just read the forum here. There are some problems, yes, but the customer support in general is really good (get AppleCare).

15. priitv8 macrumors 68020

As many have implied here already, I'm not buying the specs, I'm buying the UX.
    (If you catch my drift).

16. Bankaimadness thread starter macrumors 6502

The monitor may be 2880x1800 resolution, but gaming on that is a no go! I don't think the GPU on those macbook pro will be able to handle that resolution.
    However, let's say I won't use the y410P to game specifically. I mean I can do my homework on Windows just fine right? There isn't any really good priority software that only works on a Mac. iWorks is the only good one that I can think of.
    The OS is decent, but there is so much thing that can only run on Windows that can't on a Mac. I know about dual booting, but it seems a waste if I buy a mac and just going to be on Windows most of the time.

----------

1. Yes OSX is nice. Not really worth it for such a huge price tag though.
    2. Yes build quality is good. My 2010 15 inch MBP is still going pretty strong.
    3. Yea when the lady advertise Applecare to me when I was going to get the MBP, she made it sound like the computer is **** and will break in the future.. eh....

17. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

if a Windows PC is perfect for you, go for it. Nobody here needs to justify their mac purchase. And if you don't use FCPX, Logic Pro X, Aperture, ... it's not really Apples fault. Read a bit here on the forum, quite some people got their older models exchanged for new rMPBs (AppleCare).

If you are of the option, that all those points mentioned here are not worth the money, don't buy a mac. Get a cheap windows machine (and in a year another one ...), but stop trolling ....

18. Rick-ITA macrumors regular

Given that you can spend the money it costs a rMBP:

1) No need to boot camp. Have a look here: http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

2) Office per Mac exists.

3) The big difference (as for me at least) is in the OSX. I actually own an old win laptop but in university we use IMac (with the old snow leopard). Man, the difference is HUGE. And consider that I use Win 7. Win 8 is definitely a worst experience (unless you use a mobile or a tablet or you just use your PC for fun).

19. Bankaimadness thread starter macrumors 6502

Is it really trolling to inquire why some people would pay more for lesser specs. It still baffles me to this day.

I been here longer than you by the way. I am not someone that just popped up and started hating.

The only thing that I got out of it is build quality, customer support, and the OSX.

1. Regarding build quality. I could buy two good windows laptop at the price of one good MBP. I Rather have two somewhat flimsy laptops than one good one.
    2. In my opinion, the OSX is not worth the high price.
    3. Customer support. You even have to pay extra for the good customer support. Sigh.... At least include it for the exorbitant price of the MBP. (I think this is a valid rant)

Of course I am only assuming the people here are reasonable. That's is why I inquired and also if I am missing anything spectacular the Macs offer that Windows don't. I been out of the Mac game for three years now.

20. Rick-ITA macrumors regular

Please provide one or more example.

At least in the 13" category.

You need:
    - i5 or i7 CPU
    - iGPU only
    - Hi-Res IPS Monitor
    - SSD only
    - Alluminium, carbonium or magnesium built (plastic is allowed only for the keyboard)
    - weight < 1.7kg
    - at least 8 hours battery life

Find me a laptop like this at 750$ (or even at 1000$).

21. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

...and that automatically makes you (your arguments) superior to me (mine)?!

Having an account on a forum really is a huge achievement...

22. Bankaimadness thread starter macrumors 6502

Where is this coming from? I just said "good".
    To be fair, windows laptop are not about "build" quality as opposed to good specs inside. So disregard the <1.7 KG, Aluminium built, and etc. I even conceded to Macs have good build quality above.
    I try to search for some that are similar to the "criteria" you listed tomorrow.

----------

You played the trolling card on someone who owned a MBP for about three years now, and participated on the forums longer than you.

23. yjchua95 macrumors 604

First, those MBs that run SimCity @20-30fps at 1280x800 are just 13" MacBook Pros, which don't have a discrete GPU.

If you want it for gaming, consider one of the 15" MBPs (retina or non-retina) with 1GB of GT 650M.

But if you're a hardcore gamer, you might as well as buy a 27" Haswell iMac with 4GB of GTX780. I have one, along with 3.5GHz of i7, 32GB RAM and a 512GB SSD. I use it, plus Boot Camp to play NFS MW 2012 and it runs superbly.

And according to here, http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-780M.88993.0.html , the GTX 780M can run 301fps at ultrahigh settings for Fifa 14.

The iMac's bound to perform better because it uses the desktop 780, not the laptop 780M.

24. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

good luck

And it looks like everything with your mac was working good and you were an apple fan until something happened (iphone didn't work anymore, dropped the mac...).

You are asking if macs are worth the money. As you said, you own one for 3 years you should know. Furthermore we gave you our opinions, but those were not good enough for you.

There are two options here:
    1. you are really looking to buy a rMBP and somehow think you need to justify the buy (enough reasons listed already)
    2. You decided that your Apple stuff was crap and you spend to much money on it, so you are angry and decided that you need to convince the world, that Apple isn't worth the money

Choice one ...

----------

It's an 780M in the imac too. Still, very impressive results!

25. zI INFINITY Iz macrumors regular

I think it's not about what Mac offers that Window's doesn't, it's more about how it offers it. The overall experience of a high end MBP is just nice, at least that's what I hear. I haven't had a Mac in my life but I'm waiting to buy the new rMBP.

As an overall package, it's indeed very good. There might be cheaper Windows laptops that are better in one or two aspects (for example GPU), but there aren't many Windows laptops that match or surpass all aspects of a rMBP. The new Dell XPS 15 is one of the first Windows laptops that does match all specs of a rMBP, but it's $2299. So if you want everything to be good in one package (from CPU, GPU, SSD, Screen (quality, resolution), RAM, build quality, Trackpad, support, etc) you will end up paying a lot of money, Windows laptop or MacBook.

And in the end, people can just like the expensive MacBook's. It's like you can buy a watch for $200 or a watch for $3000. Both show you the time, but some people still buy very expensive watches. Sometimes it makes no sense (and it doesn't necessarily have to). You live once, buy what you can, want and like.