I learned a new trick

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
plasticparadox said:
If that blows your mind, try this: hold Shift while minimizing or maximizing a window.
Do this to a movie playing in QuickTime 7 - even cooler.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
opusthe2nd said:
This is on Tiger:

ctrl-alt-cmd-8

So cool!
Oh my goodness, that wasn't cool at all. That was frightening. Why on earth would anyone want their screen to look like that? It was like looking at old color film negatives,

plasticparadox

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2003
Stampyhead said:
Oh my goodness, that wasn't cool at all. That was frightening. Why on earth would anyone want their screen to look like that? It was like looking at old color film negatives,
It's for the visually impaired. Just another nice touch that Apple puts in.

stoid

macrumors 601
I like the zoom feature. I live on a Windows campus, and the profs are regularly hooking their school provided tablet PCs (the university here is probably the largest Tablet PC buyers, since we have at least a dozen in the Comp Sci dept alone). The other day, one of the profs got frustrated because the screen was too small and she said, "I just wish I could magnify this section of the screen here so you can see what I'm talking about."

It was all I could do not to laugh and shout, "Get a Mac!"

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
stoid said:
I like the zoom feature. I live on a Windows campus, and the profs are regularly hooking their school provided tablet PCs (the university here is probably the largest Tablet PC buyers, since we have at least a dozen in the Comp Sci dept alone). The other day, one of the profs got frustrated because the screen was too small and she said, "I just wish I could magnify this section of the screen here so you can see what I'm talking about."

Hah, don't you love it?! :)

I always use the phrase, "Well, if this was a Mac..." :D

snkTab

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
Sometimes certain color combinations are hard to read and also some people have trouble with off-white on white and such, and the negative helps a little.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
hmm, interesting - but i didn't notice anything with the shift-min/max thing

what's it supposed to do?

D

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Shift + min/max is supposed to make it go slowly. By min/max we mean to the dock, the yellow button, not the green, just in case that is what you were trying.

The shift trick also works with Exposé.

"What is next?"

Both tricks...at the same time!!! :p

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
stoid said:

Windows actually does have a magnifier built-in. Start>Programs>Accessories>Accessibility>Magnifier. Just so you know.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Interestingly enough using the ctrl-alt-cmd-8 on my PB gives me a black and white screen whereas when I do that on the PM's at Uni, the screen has reversed colour, not straight B&W.

opusthe2nd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
joepunk said:
Interestingly enough using the ctrl-alt-cmd-8 on my PB gives me a black and white screen whereas when I do that on the PM's at Uni, the screen has reversed colour, not straight B&W.
If its not Tiger, I think you have do to fn-ctrl-alt-cmd-8

cheekyspanky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2004
South Bucks, UK
And the slow motion also works when activating dashboard..

..woo look how slow it moves!

Although my XP using friends comment was "What the hell is the point of that, just more useless eye candy that slows everything else down.."

Sigh. Will they ever learn?!

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2005
stoid said:

How do you zoom?

(yes, I know i'm stoopid)