Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

equality15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
I have a friend,
that recently purchased the iPad2 early in March or April 2011, and recently lost it last week,

I had been asking and warning him to set up his " Find My iPad " Application/ and account, but for some odd reason he never did
and or guess that he never really thought that he would need it so soon,

and sure enough, he did,
and he doesn't even have his serial number, or the box that he bought it in.
we have both called apple customer service,
and were told that without the app there is nothing that can be done.

so I guess that this is $700 or $800 he just lost in about 6 months or less.

does anyone now of a way to get his device back,

and of course Apple care doesn't even cover lost or stolen items

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
Ouch...
Can't tell are you blaming Apple for not covering lost items??
Life lesson 1. keep the box. 2. use the free app (smart thief will kill it )
Move on its gone.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I once left my iPad on top of an in-bank ATM. I figured it out and drove back and it was still there, 3 hours later.

You're a lucky fella. OP: you can officially file a police report if you believe it is stolen. I believe you can also file a lost and found report in the PD.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
So does he have an idea of where he lost it?

If it was at a public place a kind person may have turned it in somewhere.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
How does one lose an iPad?

I used to have that somewhat arrogant attitude as well. Couldn't fathom how anyone could possibly lose their iPad. Until a few weeks ago, that is, when I was at a new restaurant with friends. The seating was covered with black fabric, the restaurant dim, and after an excellent dinner, I gathered up my purse and didn't notice anything else on the seat (my iPad case is black). We were chatting about the great food as we walked down the street, then heard someone calling behind us. It was our fantastic server, running after us with my iPad case in hand.

I was aghast, as well as extremely grateful. Weak-in-the knees grateful. Am still aghast, but figure it's one of life's little lessons. One I won't forget.

I no longer wonder how such a thing can happen. We're human, can get distracted, and make mistakes. Am sorry that the OP's friend lost his iPad. If he registered it with Apple, he should be able to get the serial number from his account information.

epi117

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2010
Busy staff meeting in our large client waiting room. Placed my ipad 2 and iPhone 4 (both white) on counter, got called away...next thing i new clinic was open for service (this is a large public STD clinic) in northwest.

An hour later i get paged that a client had found my phone and ipad, talk about lucky. Left client a thank you note with our receptionist (client was still with provider) with $50.00 bucks and asked him to have a nice lunch on me.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
and of course Apple care doesn't even cover lost or stolen items

:confused: You say that like Apple has some kind of responsibility to cover lost items. They sell the products, it's not your fault if it you lose it or if its stolen. Do you think Ford is just going to give you a new car if someone steals your Focus? :rolleyes:

ckoerner

macrumors member
May 21, 2006
St. Louis, MO
and sure enough, he did,
and he doesn't even have his serial number, or the box that he bought it in.
we have both called apple customer service,
and were told that without the app there is nothing that can be done.

See if you could go to an Apple store. If the iPad was registered, they should be able to look it up via the email address it was registered to. That will get you the serial number. Then have them put a note in that the device was stolen. If someone brings it to a store for service it will come up.

I'd also file a police report, check eBay and Craigslist and maybe the local pawn shop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.