I lost the plastic cover for my MagSafe charger

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by comics addict, Jun 8, 2014.

1. comics addict macrumors 6502a

Will that make the charger more susceptible to debris or getting damaged ? Does anyone know where one can get a new one ? :(

2. jffluis macrumors regular

jffluis

What the hell? Are you talking about the plastic that comes in mbp box? Do you use that?
    I think that's a bit dangerous since the charger heats up a little bit and it can melt.

3. darcyjames macrumors member

darcyjames

Years ago I used to be ridiculously cautious with it and always used it. Now I have multiple MagSafe adapters floating around the house and my kids & wife are using them too. As such, the plastic caps have all been lost and it has actually been a relief to let go!

My guess is you will have trouble trying to buy a replacement because they are just not necessary. The pins are recessed and my guess is the majority of people just lose them or throw them away. You obviously still have to take reasonable care of the adapter, but don't worry about the little plastic piece.

4. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That's one thing I always toss out with the packaging when I first open them up.

7. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

That piece is supposed to be trash. I think you'll manage.

8. celly macrumors 6502

I viewed it as packing material too.

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Umm...don't spend any more money on electronic equipment. Spend it on weekly sessions with...well, you get the idea.:p

;):D

10. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I tossed all of mine. My issues with MagSafe cables were not because the connector was uncovered. My first t-shaped MagSafe from 09 developed a short somewhere in the cable and was replaced under the recall. The replacement L-shaped and the MagSafe2 that came with my rMBP have been fine.

11. paolo- macrumors 6502a

You were probably damaging the plug more by sliding that tight cover on and off every time you used it.

12. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

My MBP is from 2010. I never use the cap and the computer still works fine.
    I've stuck the power cord in my case/backpack countless times.

13. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

Anyone have the feeling that visiting this person might result in sitting on plastic covered sofas?

14. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

ill attempt at humor, don't you think?

15. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Nope, its shipping packaging, nothing more so the analogy is quite valid.

16. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's only valid if one knew it was JUST shipping packaging like, say, the paper that comes between the keyboard and the LCD screen. I presumed you would also deduce that I stick with that one too, right?

17. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Who knows, there are plenty of threads re protecting the screen, protecting the keyboard, cloths to go between the two, cleaning fluids, you name it, there is an OCD opportunity....but you shouldnt worry about dirt or debris, if you ever get a connection issue just blow any dust out and move on, after all Apple didnt even ship a cover on the MBP power port.....

18. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

Seriously? :confused:

That piece of plastic hit the trash day 1...

19. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

Do you not have a sense of humor, or is it true? Plus is a really dumb question. Right up there with the film screen liner missing.

20. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

in the OP's defense,

when you look at it....why is it even included if it was not meant to be used.

its not like there is going to be a massive amount of dust in the shipping box or any chance for damage.

21. 5to1, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014

5to1 macrumors 6502

I imagine like the plastic protector on the plug prongs (we get them in the UK at least) its there more to protect other things from being damaged by the bare metal. You have to remember on the packaging line/during shipping/etc, there's a lot of potential for things to collide causing damage to say the aluminium chassis or some other softer material in the package.

Oh and I wouldn't worry about it OP, mine is always left in the box from day one should I need to repackage (for resale/etc) and I've never had an issue with a magsafe (fingers crossed).

22. bennynova macrumors member

can't tell if serious....

23. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

It is there to prevent damage/shorting during the production process much the same as the plastic disposable covers on electrical plugs shipped on appliances - no-one suggests re-fitting those whenever the mains plug is unplugged.

24. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Next you're going to be telling me I shouldn't be wrapping it back up in that clear plastic film every night # lol

Barney

25. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You can safely relax. If Apple was concerned about debris causing damage they would of put a cover on the computer's MagSafe port. It is designed to protect the adapter during shipping and not intended for regular protection when the adapter is not in use. Good job on taking meticulous care of your Mac though!