I LOVE APPLE!!!! Tracked thieves using "Find my iPhone" !!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DeeEss, Nov 28, 2014.

1. DeeEss macrumors 6502a

The best thing EVER just happened! I just had to write here and spread the news, hopefully to help someone else.

My wife and her friend were just mugged and had their handbags stolen by a passer by in a van. Luckily her friend had her phone in her hand and they called me straight away. I jumped straight into iCloud and used "Find My iPhone" to track the phone and saw their exact location on a map!!!

The police, AMAZING and super helpful police, god bless these guys, arrived on the scene really quickly and I guided them with the map straight to them. They chased them down and caught them!!!! They also recovered 10 other peoples handbags in the van too!

THANK YOU APPLE!!!!!!! If you ever have your bag or phone stolen, log into iCloud straight away and get the police!

2. BvizioN Suspended

BvizioN

Well done!
    My friend tracked her iPad and found out who stole and where did the thief sold it (Sold it in Ireland using eBay) and got it back, reporting the thiev to eBay and Police.

3. cynics macrumors G4

Awesome! Congrats! I one time lost my iPhone between the couch cushions and used find my iPhone to locate it with a tone alert. Your story is better.

4. I7guy macrumors G5

5. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

Great story... "Find iPhone" app is really helpful. My wife lost her iPhone in Disney World. She didn't notice it was missing for a while until she needed it. The Find iPhone app tracked it down in the vicinity of the "Star Tours" Ride store... which is where it was turned in. Your story was better, but I'm just glad I didn't have to chase anyone down at Disney World.

6. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Awesome story. Glad your wife & her friend were not hurt. At least the thieves will now get what they deserve, plus your call will allow others to get back their stolen goods. Kudos to you!

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You got better police than we do. I have heard cases where people called the police to tell them where their stolen iPhone was and they were told that they were too busy to track them down.

Not that happy with our police but glad they got your stuff back and no one was hurt.

8. LeanneLand macrumors member

This is an amazing story! Sounds like you were as instrumental in quickly capturing these low lifes as the police were!

Good job! :cool:

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Where? This sounds like something that'd happen in Europe, as the police don't typically bother to do this in the U.S.

10. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

Great story! Great job on the part of you, the police and Apple and so glad that your wife and friend were not hurt and had their belongings returned.

11. AirThis macrumors 6502a

My GF once put my iPhone in the washing machine. Neither the Police nor Apple were of any help. :D

12. NY Guitarist macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

Wow, that's great!

Is there anything for the iPhone that is like the iAlertU app for Macbook? When the alarm is tripped iAlertU will take photos with the FaceTime camera and email them to you. Great for getting mugshots for the police to view.

Edit: I just found a scammer site using 'iAlertU' name as their business! NOT the same as the Mac App that has been discontinued!

13. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

14. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Too bad you called the police. A real man would have gone by himself with a shotgun and "dealt with" those vile scum and set an example for the community.

15. Ken Kaniff macrumors regular

While I wouldn't come down so hard on the guy like that, I do sort of agree with you. It's too bad there is no real freedom, otherwise what you suggested would be quite possible. Some people call this anarchy, but that word has a stigma attached to it. It truly is real freedom though..

16. wxman2003 Suspended

I have guns, but they are for protection, not for running around town finding criminals and killing them. If confronted on the street, and I was carrying, then that is a different story, but I would only use it if I was sure no innocent people would get hurt by my actions. We don't need vigilantes in this country. They are the same form of scum as criminals.

17. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Its not much better in Europe. My bike was stolen in London and went up for sale on Ebay. Contacted Police and they did nothing.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I asked because I've seen other posts like the OP happen in Europe. While the police may balk no matter where you are, it seems like it has a higher probability of happening in Europe.

19. Jim L macrumors regular

Good for your wife and her friend! :) It's rare to hear a good outcome for all the crime these days.

Hopefully these thiefs will be locked up and punished.

It's sad to hear of all the stealing and scams that go on during the holidays. It really makes me cynical about people, though I know there are many good people in the world.

20. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I'd like to see Samsung copy stories like this.

21. techspin macrumors 6502a

Nice! Police were probably more responsive since they were mugged as opposed to losing a phone or being pickpocketed.

22. lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

Wouldn't happen in the UK

If I reported my phone stolen te police wouldn't even bother to come out. Even if I had the exact location on map and the name and address of the person who stole it.

23. g.t. rags macrumors 6502

they caught them with multiple peoples belongings, so they quite possibly could have noticed the crimes happening in a certain vicinity and just been on top of there game...

24. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

This story has to be bogus. This never happens in Amerrica. Must be a different country.