Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

conditionals said:
Actually that's a bad thing. It doesn't remove all the files, thus leaving junk on your computer. The ability to uninstall is one thing I miss the most. Also a working 'home' function on the keyboard.

Yeah, it might leave some pref files, but those won't hurt anyone but the super paranoid.

Do most people seriously use home? I guess I have had a laptop for so long there has never been a time I have missed it.

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
Wow, totally thought this thread would die.

Nice to hear all the apple love.

My new favorite since switching back to apple, has to be front row. I know some people have mixed opinions of it, but it's so seamlessly integrated into the os. Plus, all of my family guy and southpark episodes are ported into itunes, so that makes watching them in bed so easy :D

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
My first computer was an Apple IIc, man that was SO LONG ago. I loved it so much, and I considered it rather 'portable'. After that I had a couple of random's, a mac 512, mac plus, then unfortunately ended up playing with dos/windows.

A few weeks ago I ordered a MacBook Pro, this will be my giant leap back into the Apple family.

I bought my first iPod when the iPod mini came out. Sold that then bought a nano. In some ways I think the iPod has helped me make a decision to move back to the Apple family. the iPod is such a good quality device, I love it. It really has reminded me how good apple hardware is.

My first web page was created on a Mac, using BBEdit, back in about 1995. It had a banner image, and some text, a few other images, a background image, thats about it. remember when HTML was just that simple!?

looking forward to getting back into the swing of things!

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Windows is a UI joke.

It took me years to get out of bad habits forced on me by Windows 3.1 when I switched to Macintosh.

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
kntgsp said:
Feel free to share any "wow that's so much easier" experiences after using a Mac, coming from Windoze.
I've always used Macs, but in high school I used Windows at school .. and now in college, I work at IT, and I have to use Windows every so often.

The biggest thing for me is the interface. The interface is what makes Apple good and Windows bad. Sure, I could get used to XP's luna or Vista's Aero ... but I could also get used to snorting eggs up my nose, but that doesn't mean I will.

I am a graphic designer, and I want a intuitive and productive enviroment, ane Apple's interface is easy to use and productive. The way Apple cares about it's customers is shown through their interface. If Microsoft actually cared about their customer's expirience, then maybe they'd have the same ease of use as OS X.

conditionals

macrumors regular
May 5, 2005
Australia
Chundles said:
"Home" works on mine. It takes you to the beginning of the page - perfect. "End" takes you to the end of the page.

What do you mean "home" doesn't work??

The start of the sentence is where it goes in Windows. Perfect for word processing and fun fun fun.

Also, whilst I know that the Windows uninstaller doesn't remove everything, it removes a lot more than simply dropping an app package in the trash. Like prefs and fun fun fun.

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
MO
appleretailguy said:
Yeah, it might leave some pref files, but those won't hurt anyone but the super paranoid.

Do most people seriously use home? I guess I have had a laptop for so long there has never been a time I have missed it.

on my powerbook the home key is fn+left arrow key or sometimes it is the apple+left arrow key. obviously you desktop people won't have the function part of it all, but you have the home key. try apple+home or something. there is a way to do it.

whichever one works, i use it all the time.
different applications use it differently.

apple programs use the apple+left arrow combo to go back to the beginning of the line.

word uses the fn+left arrow key.
apple+left arrow key goes back one word at a time.

you can hold shift while you do it and highlight the whole line. its a wonderful key combo.

laptop users should use it more, instead of the trackpad. don't get me wrong, im a prolific trackpadder, i love the apple trackpad, but theres no substitue for a keyboard shortcut.

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
I switched to mac about 6 months ago and the first thing i noticed (like most) was the clean interface. None of that plastic blue and green. the moment where i thought 'wow thats so much simpler' was my discovery of 'Expose' in the system preferences panel :D

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
You will never guess who switched this past week...

20060303.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.