I LOVE australian phone plans. :)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Globug, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Globug macrumors 6502

Globug

most of them are sim only and sooo sooo soo cheap.

My phone plan is on the expensive side, and i could change it if i want but it suits me.

i'm paying 27$ for $850 worth of calls, unlimited text and 3 gigs. I never even come close.

I could swap down to $600 worth of calls, unlimited text and 1.5 gig for 18$ but i don't think thats enough data for me.

Compare that with what i was paying for AT&T back in NYC of over 90$ for 700 minutes, 1500 texts and unlimited data.

SO happy. :cool::D

2. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

which carrier/MVNO is this?

i'm looking for something with 4g...currently with woolies mobile only for the 5gb data. :)

P.S plans are cheaper only for BYO and the outright iphone price is way higher than in the states.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Conversely, I hate Australian phone plans because of the whole "$x worth of calls" nonsense. Essentially you're paying AU$37, and getting 850 "Vodafone [or whichever operator] dollars". Why can't they just list the call/data costs in AUD in the first place?

4. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

Absolutely. I'd rather get $40 worth of calls for 10c/minute than $400 for $1/minute.

What bugs me with these 'cap' plans, is I can have $100s of credit left, yet have to shell out an extra 50c per international SMS and whatever absurd amount for international calls.

5. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

lol, i would prefer being told how many minutes i can get out of whatever amount of money i'm paying.

6. Saileshbreaker macrumors regular

I prefer my country plans, free sim, all payg, no contracts, $10 gives you 1GB data with tethering, $20 unlimited texts, calls and 3GB data with tethering

7. Globug thread starter macrumors 6502

Globug

I'm with Vaya. Its not a cap, its a no contract postpay, so you can cancel anytime without penalties. You're getting more data with woolies as this is 3gig and not 5.
    Its an Optus MVNO. I love em, but it just depends how Optus runs in your area.

8. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

I don't get it. Can you explain the "$ worth of calls" to this American?

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Somewhere in tiny print on the website they will show the cost per second of the call. $850 worth of calls means $850/cost per second = total number of seconds per month.

Calls here are usually charged per second with a flag fall charge when the call connects.

I'd rather pay the same amount, give me much more data and far less calls. I'd spend a grand total of maybe half an hour tops per month talking on the phone but using it for data and texts all the time.

10. Globug thread starter macrumors 6502

Globug

It's roughly $1per minute, roughly. So $850 is kinda like 850 minutes. The thing you have to remember is that they don't get charged for incoming calls or texts here so that's more then enough for a monthly amount (at least for me) and I use the phone as my main line, don't limit myself in any aspect of its use.

11. marf1million macrumors regular

Where do people get charged for incoming calls and texts? The only time I've heard of that is when you're roaming in a different country.

12. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

How many 'minutes' is that and I'll show you cheap ;)

13. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I hate Australian Telco call centres... Last time I "spoke" with Vodafone I was transferred to Pizza Hut by the useless operator....

14. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

Singapore has it for some plans, especially prepaid. Ignoring that anomaly, I much preferred the plans there. I used to pay $22 / month for 80 minutes and 100 SMSs. Extra minutes were 15c/minute, extra SMSs were 5c each. Overseas calls to many countries was the same rate as a local call. Incoming calls were free. So essentially, anything not included in the plan was an expected price, rather than extortion, like in Australia.

15. Globug thread starter macrumors 6502

Globug

maybe i'm not understanding but this looks like super expensive to me. 80 minutes and 100sms for 22$? Right now i'm paying 27$ for unlimited sms 3 gig of data and 850 minutes. incoming sms and calls free. So how is that expensive?

----------

in the states all calls incoming and outgoing are charged. Same with texts. :(

16. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

The incoming calls and text thing seems totally unfair, I'm glad here in the U.K people are only responsible for anything outgoing. Here in the U.K I pay £12.90 for 200 minutes, 5000 sms, 500mms and unlimited data on a rolling monthly plan.

17. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

aha, i thought i had seen that plan somewhere.

why didn't you go with liveconnected? data is charged per kb on liveconnected as to per mb on vaya for only a bit extra, but it's worth the money as you get more usage out of your data allowance...and the funny thing is...vaya and liveconnected are actually owned by the same person.

i have been using optus for ages and it works fine in my area. i will stick with woolies till they kick everyone off in oct next year i suppose.

----------

unlimited data!!!!! that's all i ever wanted!!!

UK sounds awesome, but i don't think i can move over there easily. lol

18. toille4 macrumors member

Optus now tell you how many minutes you have :) way more simple..
    I just wish data plans were a bit bigger!

19. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

Yea I know, but it's the only carrier that does this. Regardless, their postpaid phone plans are really pricy now..it's close to telstra these days. I would rather pay few dollars extra to be on a much better network if I would ever sign up a postpaid service for a shiny new toy again.

20. toille4 macrumors member

Yeah the 5s is close to $80 for a half decent plan. Lucky for me Optus stuffed my account up, which basically says I own my iPhone 5 after only 9 months on the 24month plan! Hahaha! So now I'm on their new BYO plan:) $35 for 500min,unlimited txt and 1gb. Luckily I'm in wifi most of the time at uni:)

21. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

I thought that was something in the past. Cannot believe in the US, those greedy carriers are still charging people for incoming. I guess people get really pissed off by spam in the states? Not only you get harassed but also need to pay for It.

22. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

Lucky you! I usually just buy my phone outright and go on a cheap plan with tons of data and little call/txt. I had been with vodafone for 2 years before I switched back to optus again. it was really bad. I would think twice before I sign a two-year contract again.

I don't turn on wifi at UNI as it's not unlimited during business hours and I only get a couple of hundred mb per semester...which I can use up within 10min if I really don't concern about my quota. Consider yourself lucky if you get unlimited at UNI! I don't know about other cities, but in Adelaide, as far as I know, universities are not that generous about data. (Adelaide UNI does get unlimited after 5pm and all day weekends tho)

23. toille4 macrumors member

Yeah my parents are with Vodafone and it's rubbish, especially if they go more than 50km outside Perth.
    That's crazy about your uni! It's unlimited at mine:) just uploaded a 3gb file tonight! And it's FAST! Think it might be on NBN.

24. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

Which UNI is that? I'm gonna transfer. Lol

UNI Internet is always fast. Around 6-10mb/s down usually on my laptop. I think all UNI around Australia use the same ISP...and it uses fibre.

25. toille4 macrumors member

I'm at WAAPA...which is part of Edith Cowan University:) I did a speedtest the other day and got 200+Mbps down and like 70mbps up! Amazing