Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Globug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Brisbane Australia
aha, i thought i had seen that plan somewhere.

why didn't you go with liveconnected? data is charged per kb on liveconnected as to per mb on vaya for only a bit extra, but it's worth the money as you get more usage out of your data allowance...and the funny thing is...vaya and liveconnected are actually owned by the same person.

i have been using optus for ages and it works fine in my area. i will stick with woolies till they kick everyone off in oct next year i suppose.

I know that LC and Vaya are the same company. Like i said, the plan i have suits me for now, and Vaya offers chat and phone help where as LC only does "tickets". I never go over my data usage so thats not an issue for me. :)

----------

Yeah my parents are with Vodafone and it's rubbish, especially if they go more than 50km outside Perth.
That's crazy about your uni! It's unlimited at mine:) just uploaded a 3gb file tonight! And it's FAST! Think it might be on NBN.

My uni is also unlimited. :)

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
maybe i'm not understanding but this looks like super expensive to me. 80 minutes and 100sms for 22$? Right now i'm paying 27$ for unlimited sms 3 gig of data and 850 minutes. incoming sms and calls free. So how is that expensive?

You're missing the point. I was trying to say that the per-minute rate is not some BS high figure. What you pay beyond the plan is consistent with the rate you're paying with the pan, and you don't get raped on things like international SMSs, overseas calls etc. It's a much less jarring way of working. These bloated cap plans in Australia are toying with our intellects, and insulting to anybody who can use their brain.

Globug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Brisbane Australia
You're missing the point. I was trying to say that the per-minute rate is not some BS high figure. What you pay beyond the plan is consistent with the rate you're paying with the pan, and you don't get raped on things like international SMSs, overseas calls etc. It's a much less jarring way of working. These bloated cap plans in Australia are toying with our intellects, and insulting to anybody who can use their brain.

you're right i'm not getting it. I understand what you're trying to say ( i think) but your example eludes me since i'm trying to work out the amount and its actually heaps more then the so called "boated" amount you think the aussie caps. Btw, my international texts are included in my cap, so it just really depends on the company.

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
you're right i'm not getting it. I understand what you're trying to say ( i think) but your example eludes me since i'm trying to work out the amount and its actually heaps more then the so called "boated" amount you think the aussie caps. Btw, my international texts are included in my cap, so it just really depends on the company.

I'm on a $49 plan here, with $550 worth of credit. If all I do is make calls, that makes calls 9 cents a minute. Go past your $550 credit and you pay $1 per minute. The example in Singapore is not like that. Calls on the plan calculate out to 27c/minute, and beyond the plan to 15c/minute.

The Australian plans often leave you with large amounts of credit while charging exorbitant amounts for extra-plan usage. I could have $400 worth of credit left, yet have to pay $20 for 40 overseas SMSs, or who-knows-how-much for overseas calls. These so-called caps are deceptive. They're not real.

End of the day, Australia may work out cheaper depending on your usage, but it's the ******** condescending credit system that bugs me.

dawideksl

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
Poland
In Polish T-mobile i'm paying 50zl = 16$, i have unlimited call (to everyone in Poland), unlimited text, unlimited MMS,unlimited calling to stationary in UE and 2GB of data. So You, australian guy are paying much more :D

(sim only)

Globug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Brisbane Australia
I'm on a $49 plan here, with $550 worth of credit. If all I do is make calls, that makes calls 9 cents a minute. Go past your $550 credit and you pay $1 per minute. The example in Singapore is not like that. Calls on the plan calculate out to 27c/minute, and beyond the plan to 15c/minute.

The Australian plans often leave you with large amounts of credit while charging exorbitant amounts for extra-plan usage. I could have $400 worth of credit left, yet have to pay $20 for 40 overseas SMSs, or who-knows-how-much for overseas calls. These so-called caps are deceptive. They're not real.

End of the day, Australia may work out cheaper depending on your usage, but it's the ******** condescending credit system that bugs me.

NOW i get it. thank you! For my usage i consider it very cheap. I don't make any international calls and if i do, i use face-time or Skype. I don't text internationally and if i do its already included in my cap. So its pretty awesome, but yes, for other users it wouldn't be great if the services they needed weren't included.

Although i hate to break it to you but its the same exact system in the states. International calls or texts aren't included in the "cap", and incoming calls and texts are also charged, so when you look at it this way, the Aussie plans are better then the ones in the states and THOSE are the ones I'm use to. You have the same plans there as in Australia but they are charged heaps more but you aren't getting anything extra. That is why i love the Aussie BYO plans. I agree with you that the postpaid plans inc handset are atrocious.

jer04

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
Townsville, Australia
I'm at WAAPA...which is part of Edith Cowan University:) I did a speedtest the other day and got 200+Mbps down and like 70mbps up! Amazing

Aha, that's college for performing arts. Just looked it up. I guess I won't be able to go there. I was hoping it would have medicine. :(

----------

My uni is also unlimited. :)

Looks like only UNIs in Adelaide are stingy about data usage. :/

toille4

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Aha, that's college for performing arts. Just looked it up. I guess I won't be able to go there. I was hoping it would have medicine. :(

----------

Looks like only UNIs in Adelaide are stingy about data usage. :/

UWA is more for that kind of degree... Also with unlimited ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.