I love BestBuy! (Never thought I'd say it)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by amoda, Jul 21, 2010.

1. amoda macrumors 6502a

So I sold my 15" 2.66 C2D stock (generation right before the latest one) for CAD $1700.

I was planning on purchasing the 2.4 i5 with my student discount for $1750, and sell the iPod to bring my total upgrade cost after taxes to about $150.

I went to BestBuy (since the one near me price matches the education store) but found an amazing deal on an open box (display model) 17" stock 2.8 C2D. They had it for...$1350! So after taxes an all it only cost $1550, saving me $150!

So I got the 17" (which I've been lusting over), a better graphic card, better processor, more hard drive space and I pocketed $150! To sweeten the deal they gave me a free copy of Office AND Snow Leopard, both of which I plan on selling.

All in all it's an amazing computer, yes, it's bigger, but I love it. One weird thing is that it takes a while to boot, much longer than my older 15". A few things also feel slower, but I blame it on simply switching HDs and not reformatting (which I plan on doing).

I know this isn't here or there, but I'm excited and I've seen a bunch of new purchase experience sharing threads so I figured what the heck?

Yay!

2. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

you'll like it after you reformat it
    after i got my 27'' i reformatted it immediately so i could pick and choose what languages were installed and etc
    very zippy machine

3. 301finest macrumors regular

4. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yeah, I think so.
    But then again - he upgraded his old 15 inch to an old 17 inch *while* saving $150.

6. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Yes. Geekbench score is about 39xx for a C2D. And about 48xx for the i5.

Either one will be a nice upgrade. Enjoy the new computer OP!

7. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Yeah I did something very similar. I bought my 17 inch(similar specs) used for $1200. At first I thought it was a Nigerian scammer or a stolen one. But it was legit. The guy had warranty and everything on it.

I think the goodness of the deal makes me more happier than the joy of owing such an awesome computer.

8. amoda thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup, the sure are! However, the 17" i5 is also like $1000 more expensive (after taxes, even with student discount). I figured that the $1000 could be MUCH better spent somewhere else.

9. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It's a good computer, enjoy it OP and put some of that money into buying a good SSD :)