I love my classic

Discussion in 'iPod' started by penfan82, Mar 14, 2011.

1. penfan82 macrumors regular

and would be sad if apple finally did discontinue it at this sept ipod update. I have a first generation classic and I still use it everyday unlike my touch or my droid x as music devices. I've always loved how it can hold almost my entire library rather than pick and choose like i have too with the other two devices... anyone else still in love with the classic?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. iLucas macrumors 6502

I agree.
    The classic for me is much more convient at the gym than my touch or other iPods mainly because of the large storage. I hope that they don't discontinue them.

4. Hallivand macrumors regular

Hallivand

Nice to just sync and go :D

Got a 3rd Gen shuffle for the songs Im interested in for the moment though.

5. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I got mine on eBay for $30 - it looks like it was run over by a truck but it works perfectly :D Use it all day!

Attached Files:

6. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

I love mine too. I like having my entire music library with me. :)

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

My 4th gen white "classic" is still going strong too. I hope they never do away with the design-- it's so iconic.

8. Fuzzy.Dunlop macrumors regular

It's for this reason that I think it will still be around for a while yet

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I'm a big fan of the classic too. I had one for the passed six years up until about a week ago when a junkie stole my 160GB. :(

10. NismoRoadster macrumors regular

NismoRoadster

i love my 160GB classic, nothing has this much storage space, I have a 65GB+music library. unless they release a 128gb touch, i would be sad.

11. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You have a everyday use first gen iPod classic!!! Wow, surprise it still works since it is almost 10 yrs old. Would have throughout batteries or HD would fail with everyday use.

But you have less then 5gigs of music? Most ppl complain that the 64gigs is to small and that's why they need a 160 GB classic

12. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Music fanatics seem to love the classic above all other iPods and there seems to be a cult following of the device.

It has always been my favorite iPod, I just wish apple would act like it exists and give it a few updates...like a slightly larger screen (3"), radio, etc.

I don't think that would kill the "Classic" name by throwing in a few updates it still has the click wheel and that alone would fit the classic name now that there is no other iPod holding the click wheel.

I'm just hoping for a secret 220GB update or a 220GB update this year with the iPod updates in Sept/Oct.

Its interesting to see that amazon no longer stocks the classics and it is still in the top 30 @ $300 for a new one.

I think apple SEVERELY underplays the selling of the classic, the fact is the iPod touch brings in more revenue for them (app store) so of course they are going to try to get people off the classic. I've always seen it in the Top 10 ABOVE the nano and shuffle on Amazon when they were stocking them.

I have a brand new 160GB that is sitting in its case when my 120GB dies on me..which has taken a beating (dent in the side of it, been dropped on concrete at least 3 or 4 times at work) and is still ticking.

Also have a 5.5G 240GB (swapped hard drives) that is used strictly to display videos on my TV.

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

would like to see an aluminum/black combo. Like this render I made.

Attached Files:

14. Fuzzy.Dunlop macrumors regular

Anyone know the sales figures for the classic itself, as i can only find for the touch or the classic bundled in with all the other players (nano, touch etc..)

15. mechanopony macrumors member

mechanopony

Mine is too :D

Although the only problem I've had with it is when I hook it up to my car's Harman/Kardon... when I disconnect it, it stays in the "Okay to Disconnect" screen and I have to reboot the iPod. :-/

16. LLPE33 macrumors member

Just got mine a couple of week sago and I'm loving it. My 60gb iPod Photo had to go (as it weren't werkin' right) and I'm a happy boy.

17. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I think Apple would disappoint a lot of music lovers and more 'serious' listeners if they discontinued the Classic. There is no other iPod/iPhone with that kind of storage capacity.

18. GedBlue macrumors member

GedBlue

It'd be sad to see it go, but I think it's going to.

If Apple sell are selling a laptop with only 64GB of memory in 2011, I don't think they're worried about massess of people needing 160GB+ in the future, especially if a 128GB iPod touch may well be released this september

Also, Apple are starting to hate selling products with moving parts, look at every iPod (-classic) and the new MacBook Airs...the classic can't go on forever, as Iconic as it is.

Get one now, they'll be worth a lot on eBay in the future!

I'll miss it!

19. penfan82 thread starter macrumors regular

I put most of my collection on ipod but I have much more than what's on there

20. smileyborg macrumors 6502

smileyborg

How about a Classic that's a little smaller, a little thinner, with a screen that goes mostly edge to edge (so larger) and the hard drive replaced with maybe 4 flash chips so they can give it 128GB without such a high cost. Flash storage would use much less power than the hard drive too, so the battery could get smaller while even delivering better battery life.

21. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

.... you make me want to pick up an iPod classic (used or new).

UGH why did I just pick up an ipod touch?!?! :eek::D:eek:

22. henryp macrumors member

henryp

There's an article in today's NY Times titled, "Gadgets You Should Get Rid Of (or Not)." It says (emphasis added):
    DIGITAL MUSIC PLAYER Lose it (probably). Do you have a smartphone? Then you have a music player. Why load yourself down with an extra gadget? Apple popularized the music player with its iPod, but when was the last time you saw that iconic white box with the dial on the front? Music is data, and many multifunction devices can handle it along with many other kinds of data (like video, e-mail and apps). The one exception may be if you enjoy music while exercising. In that case, a tiny player like the $49 iPod Shuffle might be a better accessory than a larger, heavier smartphone.

23. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If I already have all of those products that they are telling me to lose (iPod, GPS, etc) why should I "lose" it? This article is pretty useless.

24. penfan82 thread starter macrumors regular

I LOVE my smartphone.... sorry peeps i am an android owner and i did try it as a mp3 player and still use as one in a pinch however i did find myself going back to my trusty classic it holds everything whereas smart phone cannot... no matter what they say i wont lose my ipod

25. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't use that much space, but a Classic is just so nice in general. Haha.
    Come on Apple, 64GB iPhone!!!!