Resolved I love my iPad Air 2 but I hate iPhones.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cdm283813, Mar 22, 2015.

1. cdm283813 macrumors 6502

Weird right? I've tried the iPhone 5s and iPhone 6 and hated the experience. When I had the iPhone 6 the experience was so buggy I didn't last a week with that phone. So I went back to my original plan and got the Note 4.
    Fast forward 4 months later I wanted something different. So yesterday I ended up getting a Verizon iPad Air 2 and the experience so far is much better than what I had on the iPhones. I've tried iPads before (iPad 2 and iPad 3) but again I could never last long enough with iOS.
    I don't know if iOS issues have been fixed or if it's the iPad Air 2 hardware doing it for me but I'm hooked. I just can't say the same for the iPhone 6. Just not sold on those yet.

2. smorrissey macrumors 6502a

Well let's hope yours doesn't pop and if it does hope you still love it.

3. Soulweaponry macrumors 6502

Well, i mean...to each their own right? I have an iphone 6 and an ipad air 2 and although i like my iphone, i use my ipad way more often. It's my laptop replacement and my overall sucker of free time.

My iphone for me has limited uses. I text, email a bit, call, safari a bit...but i don't really play games or watch videos on it. On my ipad though? I do everything. Even right now i have my kick ass bluetooth keyboard hooked up to it typing on it. I'll probably play a game for a bit, then watch some netflix and type a paper.

And i know some people for their phones just prefer android for whatever reason but in the tablet space HAVE to have an ipad.

4. cdm283813 thread starter macrumors 6502

Had to research what you were talking about. Did that test with Safari and no popping. Even before I knew about that issue I already had 5 hours under my belt with no popping. The tablet came with 8.1.3 installed so that tells me that it was manufactured after late January 2015. And as you can see from my original post I'm pretty anal when it comes to my gadgets. I plan on testing the crap out of this tablet for the next 2 weeks but so far the tablet has been flawless. Literally just upgraded to 8.2 so my testing continues. By the time my 2 week return policy is up I should have 40 to 50 hours of use under my belt.

5. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Well I own an IPhone 6, an iPad Air 2, a MBP, and an iMac. Each one serves a different role in my daily computing needs. I listed them in the order of my personal usage and I'm quite sure that order would be different for the next guy.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Could you please explain what was so "buggy" with your iPhone 6?

7. cdm283813 thread starter macrumors 6502

This was right after iPhone 6 release so these problems may have been fixed.

Various keyboard bugs. One time the keyboard totally disappeared on me. And if the app was not updated the keyboard would just blow up to fit the screen. Android never has this issue with keyboards.

Apps crashing/not updated for iOS 8. This one bothered me the most because everyone said that iPhone is the most reliable device on the market. Ended up being a big lie. And while not a bug the app scaling is not what I was use to.

Siri was totally unreliable. I was giving a demo to my wife and it failed hard. Ended up rebooting the phone while in the car.

At least one springboard crash on a daily basis for the 7 days I owned the phone.

The worst issue was a total system crash on day 6. Went for a walk and as soon as I connected my Bluetooth headphones the entire phone became unresponsive, powered off and would not turn on. I'm thinking to myself I got to go to verizon to get the phone swapped out. Luckily I remembered that holding down a button or two would get you into recovery mode. Next day I returned the phone.

And while this is not a bug I just didn't like the feel of iOS on the iPhone. I actually like the apps better on android when it comes to the phone and how videos and Internet is handled. When it comes to tablets that is a different story. I currently own 4 android tablets (including a Nexus 7 2013) and none of those can touch the iPad experience I'm getting right now.
    It's been six months so maybe the iPhone got better. I would be willing to try again with iPhone 6s. I only wish Apple would have gave the smaller model the 1080p display and optical image stabilization but as it stands the Galaxy S6 looks to be the better phone.

8. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Try a total DFU restore. You sound like the only person on the planet who is experiencing these issues. A lot of hate won't solve the issue. Practical steps will, including visiting an Apple Store to help eliminate the possibility the device is faulty.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Sorry to hear and it amazes me how trouble free my 6 and 6+ have been from the day I purchased them. Likely the most trouble free of any phone I have owned.

10. cdm283813 thread starter macrumors 6502

I haven't touched an iPhone 6 since I got rid of it back in late September. But that's the point of my rant. The iPad Air 2 has been so enjoyable I don't even want a iPhone. That's why I'm sticking with the Note 4 till fall. I believe that the iPad offers a better ios experience than the iPhone and Android phones offer a better experience than the Android tablets.
    I never keep the same phone for a year so maybe this is the year I will go with the iPhone. I always evaluate all my options and I try to keep an open mind. Maybe many of those bugs got ironed out over the last 6 months but I won't be able to try again until September.

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Nope. While they may be similar they are not the same thing so I don't know why people would conflate them. Plenty of people only use one or the other and a different solution for the other.

12. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

This sounds a lot like my experience with the iPhone 5S last year on iOS 7. I had owned the iPhone 3G and 4 in the past and was used to the smooth and flawless experience of iOS. So when my 5S was so buggy it wasn't the experience I'd been accustomed to in the past.

My 6 plus however is very stable. I'm using an iphone at the moment but I find android and iOS fairly equal for phones.

The ipad on the other hand is still king when it comes to tablets.

13. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

Curious, how do you integrate both the MBP and the iMac in your daily use?

I toyed around with the idea, only because an iMac looks so damn sexy...but I thought having two computers is more touble than its worth. Like...how do you easily integrate your files...itunes...iPhoto...between the two machines?And if you don't, would one of the two machines see far less use, due to it having less of your stuff, and therefore, is it worth having?

14. smorrissey macrumors 6502a

Yes, it can be found here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1809137

Glad that yours doesn't have the issue. Me i bought last November via BestBuy only 1 week of return policy, pop only once during that week, the problem wasn't spread yet so i assumed it might be normal because it was brand new, i was wrong i finished with an iPop.

15. jonnyb098, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015

jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

Its the idiotic move to use 1GB of RAM on every other device except the iPad Air 2 which has 2GB. iOS 8 has WAY too much going on under the hood to comfortably run on 1GB without stutters and reloads.

16. PRSGuitarist macrumors member

One of my friends is like that. He has an iPad, and a Samsung phone, and is likely keeping it that way. And another friend who inexplicably loves MacBooks, but hates iPads and iPhones. But then again, maybe that isn't as weird.

17. cdm283813 thread starter macrumors 6502

I told myself back in fall 2013 that I would not buy a iPad with less than 2GB of ram. Just felt that a ram bump would be more future proof. That's another reason why I was disappointed with the iPhone 6.
    I felt that the iPad air 2 was worth buying back in October but I was buying a Note 4.

18. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

Glad I'm on the "S" cycle of phones. The 6S will definitely have 2GB.

19. cdm283813 thread starter macrumors 6502

Not sure if I would put money down on Apple moving the iPhone 6S to 2GB of ram. Apple has become so unpredictable with hardware. From gimping the iPad mini 3 (a Mini 3 with all the iPad Air 2 upgrades would have been freaking awesome at $100 cheaper), a smartwatch that cost between $10,000 to $17,000 which is destined to become obsolete to a netbook like computer with only one port for everything I really can't understand what Apple is thinking right now.
    So while I said many months ago that the iPhone 6S would see a triple core processor and 2GB of ram I'm just not believing it until we see it. I was 100% sure that the regular iPhone 6 would received 2GB of ram and I was dead wrong. I think the bigger issue is keeping 16GB of storage around. That would be a interesting conversation if Apple does not discontinue 16GB.

20. MrMacMini macrumors regular

me too! I love apple products, I have a macbook pro, 3 iPads in the house, appleTV, but carry around a Samsung Note 4. I just feel that Ive outgrown the iPhone. I needed something new and switched, havent looked back!

21. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Trying to sell my IP6+ for a Nexus 6 as I love everything Apple makes but I feel its just limiting me on a phone basis but I always love to try the new one.

Now I am deciding between an Air and an Air 2.

22. cdm283813 thread starter macrumors 6502

Air 2 because it should last at least 2 years with 2GB of ram and triple core. Unless Apple decides to release a iPad Pro with OSX I don't see any reason to upgrade.
    1GB in the Air (and iPhones) scares me.

23. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

None of that is really that unpredictable. The iPad is seeing declining sales, with the smaller iPad being the main culprit. The smart watch is positioned as a fashion accessory and not just a gadget. Makes total sense to price the highest end model at a huge premium.

I think we've seen what's to come in the 6S with the improvements made in the iPad Air 2. That's just my guess though.

24. gardiboy macrumors 6502a

OP - Reason why you detest the iPhone 5S & 6 is probably because the iPad Air 2 is triple core and has 2GB of RAM. It is a beast and is a super smooth sailor.

However, I don't see any crashing or stability issues with my iPhone 6.

Just that I am a heavy multitasker and the apps reload pretty often due to 1GB. And yes, i do NOT force close apps as I don't see any real reason to do so. I use the phone as it is.

If u wanna ask if iPhone 6 should be stable - > YES
    If u wanna ask if iPhone 6 can support heavy multitasking - > NO (Go get the air 2)

----------

What is getting you blown away and hooked on the air 2 is the triple core CPU and 2GBG of delicious RAM!

25. andrewlgm macrumors 6502

andrewlgm

I also own the iPad Air 2 and the Note 4. Love both devices to no end. I will probably not update my iPad Air 2 to the newest software since it's such a speed demon, and I've seen considerable declines in speed with iOS releases in the past with older devices (iPads 2 and 3, iPhone 4). The iPad Air 2 is beautifully thin, fast, gorgeous screen, excellent for photos, etc. All around quite possibly the best tablet to own. I just wish I could write well on the screen and with note taking apps like I can on my Note 4. Hopefully apple moves in that direction with newer models.

But I also see much to love about the iPhone 6/6 Plus. As great as the Note 4 is, it still slows down from time to time. And in tests I've seen and performed, the iPhone 6/6plus still kills the Note 4 in responsiveness and speed. Samsung's touch wiz SUCKS big time compared to Apple's clean and fluid iOS and Vanilla Android. And to this day, I've yet to see a simple music application in Android capable of standing up to the iOS music app and the iTunes store. I have thousands of songs on my mac, hundreds of playlists, ratings across the board, and by using Android I'm missing ALL of that customization. It will probably the main reason why I will end up going back to iPhone in the future. Plus the killer cameras.