I love my new MacBook Pro BUT

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GregGebhardt, Apr 18, 2010.

1. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

WiFi reception SUCKS!

I use a commercial Cisco WiFi system that half of my neighborhood uses and all my computers get full bars on wifi including my iPad and iMac but my new i7 MBP is lucky to get one bar!

The aluminum unibody looks good but must be a big impediment to the RF on WIFi !

2. dcurtis macrumors newbie

The WiFi antennae is located right by the optical drive port so Apple did what they could to give it a free and clear path. But I've never heard this before. My friend has a UMBP from 2009 and always has gotten better reception than me. Then again, I was using a Asus EEE 1000HA at the time. I'll have to check back when I actually receive my new MBP.

What size laptop is this? Also, have you actually noticed any performance issues with the laptop? I get 1-2 bars on my i Phone in my apt even though I'm just in the other bedroom but it still runs super fast. I know that some people elsewhere have reported things like this on non-apple routers, which is shady, but kinda makes sense that Apple is not testing it's wireless products with every other router, but you'd think they'd do something.

3. alexh123drum macrumors member

hmmmm... be interesting to see if any other of the new ones have the same problem. My previous gen unibody has great wifi reception, better than any of my friends windows based machines.

4. GregGebhardt thread starter macrumors 6502

It is the i7 15". The C2D I owned for 3 days prior to the i7 did the same thing so it must be the exact location on my lazy boy chair as I get great WiFi reception else where. My thinkpad got full bars in the same chair/lap

5. GregGebhardt thread starter macrumors 6502

I do not think it is a large problem or we would be reading about it more here!

I think it is just mine and it's location!

RF propagation can be a mysterious thing.

6. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

I have the same model and no issues on mine, full bars.

7. webtoker macrumors member

You could get a DD-WRT compatible router and setup a wireless bridge. Then have another WiFi access point hang off that for local WiFi access as well as provide local Ethernet access to devices in your house/apartment.

8. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Do you sub-net a "neighborhood" network that is separate from your in house/personal network?

9. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I would have the Apple Store look at it. You will get worse connections with the aluminum body but it shouldn't be worse then the previous macbook pro models. It could be an antenna connection issue.

10. instabusto macrumors member

It could be one of those freak compatibility issues between a router and the laptops wifi. I had an a-link adsl/wlan router in the household and one laptop always had horrible reception on it yet it performed great on other networks, and on this network every other laptop performed great.

I never could pinpoint the issue but i got a new router and everything has worked fine since. This is a very long shot tho and prolly not worth the money to experiment, I needed to upgrade my router anyway so that wasnt an issue.

11. Amnak macrumors 6502

i have a feeling it's your laptop or router because my new 15'' i5 is doing good.. i have 2 lnksys wireless g's and a fios one.

12. DreamJ macrumors newbie

Just got my 15" low end mbp for a few days ..
    fyi ... i don't have any problems with the wireless connection ... probably your specific one have this problem ... might want to let them check it for u ... Cheers

13. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

The newer ones are supposed to have better reception than the older ones as well due to a new wifi antenna, but they weren't known for very good reception before...

14. hcmitchellr macrumors newbie

My new 15" has lower strength, but no real connection issues.

So far I have tested it at work, home and a friends house and I can never get full strength. Same when I boot to Windows 7.

However, my old MacBook, iPhones and iPad get full strength. My MacMini at home gets full bars as well.

15. joina macrumors member

sometimes it is due to the systems. i got weak connection in xp and cannot connect in vista on my old sony sz

16. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Something must be wrong with your mbp. Maybe the antennae?

17. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

I'd have Apple look at it, the first thing that comes to mind is a loose antenna cable.

18. DrVenture macrumors newbie

For those reporting a low signal strength. I would be interesting to do the following in a terminal and post the results on this thread:

/usr/local/bin/airport -s

Also you can option+click the AirPort icon to get the RSSI and data rate of your connection.

19. parajba macrumors 6502

I'm using a new i5 MBP with a Belkin N+ and it's fantastic!

20. shadygrove macrumors regular

I just got my new MBP and I also moved to a new house so my ISP couldn't set my internet up until tomorrow. For the last week I have been leaching off the neighbors internet. Out of all the machines I own, my new MBP is the only that can get reception. I have been totally satisfied with my wireless. Not dropping signals, good range, and fast as heck. Perhaps something is wrong...

21. TJaames macrumors member

I haven't had that problem so far. I only have one router and I get wifi pretty far away.

22. shadygrove macrumors regular

Unknown directory...

I don't have a bin directory inside /usr/local... just include and lib

23. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Just checking in case you aren't aware; I believe you replace "usr" with your account name.

24. shadygrove macrumors regular

I will check that out...but there is a directory called /usr so that's why I didn't assume to replace 'usr' with my /Users/account directory...two totally different things. Alas, I will check again.

EDIT: checked...no such directory.

25. tikidoc macrumors regular

tikidoc

I have a 2010 13" MBP and have MUCH better reception than I do with both my Windows based netbook or my husband's HP laptop. Also better reception than my iPod touch. I am getting reception in areas of the house that are absolute dead zones with everything else.