Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I went in to my local apple store today to get some repairs done on my 1st gen macbook. While I was there I took a look at the new ones, and they are soo awesome. The aluminum unibody feels so sturdy compared to the old plastic body, and the new trackpad is really nice. I love the 4 finger gestures to activate expose.

Nice video and congrats on the new macbook!

WhiteShadow

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2006
Washington D.C.
I picked up the 2.4 version yesterday and I couldn't be happier. The build quality is as superb as advertised and I quickly adjusted to the new trackpad without any difficulties (even using 4 finger swiping!). The screen is gorgeous and really pops. With the brightness all the way up, and wireless and BT on (while writing a paper) I got close to 5.5 hours of battery life which is absolutely incredible.

I installed Vista (via bootcamp) and it seems to run like a champ on the MB.

Overall I'm thrilled with my purchase. If you are in the market for a new laptop, I definitely recommend it.

In case anyone is interested, here's an unboxing of it I did.

Yeah, I picked mine up yesterday as well. I think I'm in love with a machine.

MacsBestFriend

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
upstate ny (purgatory)
Hey John! I'm a big fan of your youtube videos! I watched the Macbook Pro unboxing the same week it was posted, like your macbook! Ha! How is the light sensor on the MB? How dark does it have to be to turn on? thanks!

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
You say windows is good on the new MB. Is it quiet or does windows crank up the fan? Play any windows games yet? How does it do?

besiktas jk

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2006
I'd really like to hear from Macbook users about their experience with heat and fan noise of the machines. jon4lakers says that he hasn't heard any fan noise, bot how about other users? All I care right now is the performance of new Macbook in terms of heat (especially on palmrest area) and fan (or adapter) noise.

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
all that i wan to know is the max power of the new gpu. like someone else said, try installing team fortress 2 and call of duty 4 on it and running a level with fraps. tell us what settings u used. we all know that macs aren't for gaming but games are a good way to accurately benchmark the power of the system.:rolleyes:

altair7

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2004
I'd really like to hear from Macbook users about their experience with heat and fan noise of the machines. jon4lakers says that he hasn't heard any fan noise, bot how about other users? All I care right now is the performance of new Macbook in terms of heat (especially on palmrest area) and fan (or adapter) noise.
So far it hasn't been hot at all. When I was doing the migration from my macbook pro, it was a bit warm on the bottom left side while my MBP was quite hot. Palmrests have been perfectly cool so far.

I have not heard or noticed the fan coming on but I'm a bit deaf so take that with a grain of salt.

I'm loving this machine so far. It's finally a proper replacement for my 12" powerbook. Windows virtualization through Parallels is much faster and isn't killing the entire system so I can actually use this for a lot of my work stuff :D Battery life is AMAZING compared to my MBP (2.2 ghz).

stringbeanie

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Southern California
I agree that the new Macbook (i have 2.4) is very quiet and cool. I used to attempt to use my MBP on my lap but within a few minutes, it was HOT. This machine just doesn't seem to have that issue whatsoever. I have also wondered why I am not hearing the fans so I put my ear next to the computer and the fans are on but extremely quiet. You won't notice them even in a quiet room.

For Jon4lakers, where did you buy your windows xp for your bootcamp? I also live in OC so just wondering if you got the OEM from Fry's or something like that.

jon4lakers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
Orange County, CA
Hey guys, I'm going to try and answer all the questions.

Windows runs great and got a 5.2 Vista score, which is pretty impressive. (I had a full install of XP laying around, and bought the upgrade to Vista so I could see what all the fuss was about).

Viewing angle has definitely been improved in the new model. I would estimate the screen goes back an additional 15 degrees.

Even in wondows I have yet to hear the fans. It is quiet, but most surprisingly, it runs very cool.

I have yet to try games on it.

I posted a quick video yesterday on my first 24 hours with it. HERE

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jon

riz78612

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2007
I picked up the 2.4 version yesterday and I couldn't be happier. The build quality is as superb as advertised and I quickly adjusted to the new trackpad without any difficulties (even using 4 finger swiping!). The screen is gorgeous and really pops. With the brightness all the way up, and wireless and BT on (while writing a paper) I got close to 5.5 hours of battery life which is absolutely incredible.

I installed Vista (via bootcamp) and it seems to run like a champ on the MB.

Overall I'm thrilled with my purchase. If you are in the market for a new laptop, I definitely recommend it.

In case anyone is interested, here's an unboxing of it I did.

Hi Jon,

Hope your alright Mate. I love your vids of your passed Macs etc.

You explain things well, concise. It would make anyone want to buy it.

You getting paid for the vids? you should get some credit. Everytime somone buys a Mac after watching your vid or something.

jon4lakers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
Orange County, CA
Hi Jon,

Hope your alright Mate. I love your vids of your passed Macs etc.

You explain things well, concise. It would make anyone want to buy it.

You getting paid for the vids? you should get some credit. Everytime somone buys a Mac after watching your vid or something.

Thanks, try telling apple that! Seriously, tell them!!! :D

Aztec

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
I just got mine in the mail! So happy! The shipping was extremely fast and I've had a good experience altogether. Now I just have to get used to the keyboard! The trackpad is fantastic and it still feels like the button is there. I can't even notice the difference.

dinaluvsApple

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I just got mine in the mail! So happy! The shipping was extremely fast and I've had a good experience altogether. Now I just have to get used to the keyboard! The trackpad is fantastic and it still feels like the button is there. I can't even notice the difference.

wow nice, if u have time do a battery test on it.
i want to know if the 5 hour claimed is remotely true.

Vivid.Inferno

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
Ottawa, ON
This is making me so excited. I've never used a Mac before. I have a 32gb Touch, but I've been a Windows user my entire 19 years. I plan on ordering my first macbook this weekend. I plan on getting a MBP, because I want the screen size. I have the ADC Student membership, so I can order a MPB with the following specs:

2.8 GHz
320 GB Serial ATA @ 7200 RPM
iWork '08

All for 2,502.00 CAN.

I haven't watched your video yet because I'm sitting in class. But I promise I will when I get home!

Aztec

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
I won't have time to run the battery test because I'm off to work in an hour or so.

Also, I'm surprised to how silent it is. The fan has not kicked in once, and I can't hear a thing coming from the MacBook. Extremely satisfied with everything! (Oh and it looks great)

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008

Congratulations. :)

Can you post pictures please as well? ;)

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
That was one of the best unboxing videos I have ever seen.
It looks really nice and I hope to get one sometime in the near future.
Congradulations on your purchase!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.