I *LOVE* Power Mac G5's

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by macgeek18, Jan 15, 2010.

1. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Hey all,I just got a Power Mac G5 1.8Ghz Dual with 1.5GB DDR ram,and a 500GB hard drive.
    Anyone else have one,and still use it?Mine is now my main computer as it replaced my Power Mac G4.

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I picked up a broken 1.6GHz model about 2 years back in hopes of getting it fixed, but never did so I sold it for parts. I'd love to get a quad G5 system someday. I would have gotten one to replace my MacBook Pro if 10.6 had run on PPC. Very cool machines.

3. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

i sure miss mine...

i've had more than 20 apple systems over the last 20 years, and can say without a doubt, my dual 1.8 g5 was my favorite. period.

the most stable, fastest (at the time), useful, etc, computer i had ever owned. over the period of almost 3 years, i never had a single problem, rebooted only when updates made me, and was amazed at how quiet it was -- until it got hot and ramped up the fans to jet mode!

killed me to do it, but had to sell due to a required upgrade to intel. still miss it to this day, and the 22" crystal cinema display it was hooked to. pure magic. :apple:

4. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

I had a G5 (bought used) up until early last year running Leopard, it was a stunning piece of engineering both inside and out. Attention to detail was phenomenal wherever you looked.

It was my main computer and ran great although I wanted something a bit faster for Aperture.

I sold it while resale was high and essentially traded it for a Mac Mini 09 (which introduced dual display support and FW800 which is what I needed) ...I'm glad I did, months later snow leopard was announced and PPC support was dropped.

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I use a Dual 1.8Ghz G5 with 3GB RAM as my main/only computer.

The outside case is a little dented up from various people dropping it (Before I owned it), but it works flawlessly, so I'm good :D.

Using it with 10.5.8

6. Macdctr macrumors regular

I still have my PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5Ghz which I have in my spare bedroom. It still works fast and I back up my laptops on this computer.

7. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Very nice,I just ordered 4GB from OWC for it and have 5.5GB of ram for it now and I just put my external 500GB in it so it's now up to 1TB.I love my G5 and am running 10.5.8 on it.

8. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Come on people,tell me more about your G5's.:)I just put a 1TB HD in mine and upgraded the graphics to an original Nvidea 256MB graphics card that was an option when it was new.

9. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

Man, I've always wanted a Quad G5. So does anyone here have a Quad G5? Hows the performance of them compared to some of the Intels?

10. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

I have a quad G5 in my home office and still use it on a daily basis as a desktop system.

The system is still fast enough for most tasks. Compared to my 10 months old Macbook Pro 17" it is still about 50%-100% faster, depending on what you are doing. So still pretty fast.

I don't do video a lot, so rendering time is no big deal for me. I am using it mainly for my music studio, office work and graphics/photo/layout. Despite Apple's statement, that Logic 9 runs only on Intel machines, it is a UB app and works great on the quad, performance is fine... But it seems that Updates are only for Intel machines. have to investigate that still.

What sucks is, that PPC support is dropped everywhere for Apple products now. I would love to use e.g. Snow Leopard on the Quad. I also need virtual machines for my work.

So sometime this year I will switch to a Mac Pro, which is a pity, since performance wise the quad is still completely sufficient and a very reliable machine.

groovebuster

Attached Files:

11. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

Wow...

I didn't think the thread would die off that quickly...

12. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I know huh?I'll post some pics of my G5 as soon as I'm done transfering stuff and can unplug it for better light.

:)

13. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Always wanted one

Just could pull the trigger and buy one.

Virtual support for desktop apps and learning is the primary reason. I think I'll just get a 13" MBP and run a music studio off of that; yet I wait until Feb for the upgrades and just buy brand new.

14. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

i wish i still had mine, was only a dual cpu 2Ghz but god she romped,

15. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

Man, I want one, even if they arent supported by SL :p I might get one with my next college check. That or a 2xDual Core xServe

PPC Macs ftw

16. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Well,no pics for a bit,camera is very screwed up.:(

My G5's next upgrade will be a decent graphics card.

Show off. :rolleyes:

;)

17. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

The most interesting thing that grabs my attention is the watercooling. People have recreated it in the Newer ones but its not the and finesse in implementation.

18. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

Here we go...

Attached Files:

19. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Sweet,so all the G5 quad's are water cooled?That's pretty sick.

20. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

That's correct...

...btw, besides having 11GB of RAM installed, I added two 1.5TB Hard Drives as a RAID 1 to it (mirrored). Since I have all my music projects and work files on it, it would be pretty hard to lose everything by a HD crash... The RAID prevents me from that and from the necessity to constantly do back ups 24/7.

Video card is still the original GeForce 6600 with 256MB. I don't need more than that for my daily work.

The Mac mini on top of the G5 is an Intel Core Duo with 1.6GHz. At the moment I am using it as a test web and database server for my daily work. It will be transformed into a media center, if ever we (my wife and I) can convince ourselves to shell out the money for an HD LCD TV. So far our CRT TV is still working perfectly and we are still completely satisfied with it. Probably if one day it will brake, the time will have come... It is 7 years old now. I am curious how long it will last...

21. California macrumors 68040

California

I'm using a borrowed 2.0ghz G5 dual processor from 2003. Eight gigs of ram.

I am amazed how fast it is and what a quiet, great machine.

G5s are really the best bang for your buck right now.

22. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I no longer have a G5,I just sold it and along with half my stuff for a brand new Macbook.

23. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

So you sold a machine you claimed to "love" in a little over a week? I hope that isn't how you treat human relationships. ;)

24. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I already miss the G5,and it was a good deal as i got a new macbook,and I needed something portable for college.Oh,and I don't treat "human" relationships that way cause I've never been in one,but that's another story.

25. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster