Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derekwg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
I really love this silver.the stainless steel bezel makes the phone so much cool.But,is really so much prone to scratches.I am using Apple Silicon case,I didn’t open the case and check the contact area,but at least the exposed area at the bottom starts getting hairline scratches.I am already so much careful still unable to avoid.
I think I will change to space gray...

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
I used to want silver because I preferred the white bezels on the phone--darker were too much of a fingerprint magnet to me. But with the X, it hardly matter. Except this: with dirt and debris inside a case, I believe either finish will scratch up over time. The space gray finish cannot be cleaned up, whereas a few mins with some paste or a cape cod cloth will restore the shine to the unfinished stainless steel.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
I really love this silver.the stainless steel bezel makes the phone so much cool.But,is really so much prone to scratches.I am using Apple Silicon case,I didn’t open the case and check the contact area,but at least the exposed area at the bottom starts getting hairline scratches.I am already so much careful still unable to avoid.
I think I will change to space gray...

Space Gray is going to be a lot worse than the silver. What many don't realize is that the polished stainless of the band, just like the Apple Watch, can be polished to new again using metal polishing wipes like Cape Cod wipes: https://www.amazon.com/CAPE-POLISH-...qid=1512410526&sr=8-2&keywords=cape+cod+wipes

Take one of those and buff very firmly around the edges of the phone. The scratches will disappear and the new shine will return. I did this once a month on my stainless Apple Watch and it always looked new again after the polish.This can not be done on the space gray model because you'll wear away the coating, which will start coming off in uneven chunks.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
I stay away from Apple cases because of the bottom exposure. I dinged my previous phone on a drop using that kind of case.

Look for something that covers the bottom. There are many available online.

Reactions: sdwaltz

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Can we see some of these super scratched up X's?

it is SS, but so far it seems like paranoia

Paranoia on a tech forum isn't abnormal. However The majority of the scratches on the regular stainless version are more fine and hairline like. The surgical stainless steel is almost identical to the 31 stainless steel used on the Apple Watch. It takes very little effort to actually scratch the stainless bands on the silver iPhone X, but can they can just as easily be removed.

Reactions: KONVICTED

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Paranoia on a tech forum isn't abnormal. However The majority of the scratches on the regular stainless version are more fine and hairline like. The surgical stainless steel is almost identical to the 31 stainless steel used on the Apple Watch. It takes very little effort to actually scratch the stainless bands on the silver iPhone X, but can they can just as easily be removed.
This. If I look very closely I can see a bunch of tiny hairline scratches on both my stainless steel Apple Watch and on the steel band of my white iPhone X. I know I could buff them out with a cape cod cloth if I wanted to. But I’ve never really felt the need to because these scratches are completely unnoticeable at normal viewing distances. You can see them for sure if you get close to the device and are actively looking for them. But, in day to day use, the scratches aren’t noticeable.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
The 2006 or 2007 (I forget which) Rolex GMT Master I'm wearing right now opposite my Apple Watch has not just scratches but actual dings, divots, in the stainless steel case. Like the man said, it's a tool. I regard those scratches and dings as marks of the journeys this watch and I have shared together. I don't really see the fetish for better-than-NIB daily use items.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
The 2006 or 2007 (I forget which) Rolex GMT Master I'm wearing right now opposite my Apple Watch has not just scratches but actual dings, divots, in the stainless steel case. Like the man said, it's a tool. I regard those scratches and dings as marks of the journeys this watch and I have shared together. I don't really see the fetish for better-than-NIB daily use items.
Its bc most ppl here are using the phone for the next owner---i mean resell.

Reactions: rneglia

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Space Gray is going to be a lot worse than the silver. What many don't realize is that the polished stainless of the band, just like the Apple Watch, can be polished to new again using metal polishing wipes like Cape Cod wipes: https://www.amazon.com/CAPE-POLISH-...qid=1512410526&sr=8-2&keywords=cape+cod+wipes

Take one of those and buff very firmly around the edges of the phone. The scratches will disappear and the new shine will return. I did this once a month on my stainless Apple Watch and it always looked new again after the polish.This can not be done on the space gray model because you'll wear away the coating, which will start coming off in uneven chunks.
Hell of a signature you got there! Your setup is v nicee

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
One of my favorite things about a new launch is not caring about the color because invariably it's getting a case. Can anyone look at the iPhone of a friend and tell us what color it is?

JokerABC

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Doesn’t your house walls get scuff marks? Don’t your hardwood floors get nicked and scratched? Doesn’t your car get door dings and scratched?

This is life and everything wears out eventually. It’s up to you to maintain it.

But let’s get real, a house lasts a very long time and the average car these days lasts 10 years. A smartphone doesn’t last long and think of it as a computer cool tool.

Reactions: Geert76

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy
This cycle for the new iPhone X is gonna be over before 75% of macrumors actually enjoys using the thing it would seem

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
This cycle for the new iPhone X is gonna be over before 75% of macrumors actually enjoys using the thing it would seem

Sad, and probably true! As I keep saying, I'm on the fence - I don't know if I'll keep or return this one. But either way, it's an awesome piece of engineering and design and the people who worked on it should feel very, very good. It isn't even nearly perfect, but it is amazing nevertheless.

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
As we've all said...Yea they will both scratch

But yes...like an Apple Watch the silver can be some what polished...just have to be like crazy carful near the ports and the mic...Use the force...lol

Reactions: quadchick10
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.