I LOVE the Kindle Fire! (The Handbag Factor)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PracticalMac, Dec 17, 2011.

1. PracticalMac, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

It feels very nice in the hand.
    Extremely easy to hold in one hand, and at 413 g (14.6 oz) does not tire my arm out. I can easily wrap my fingers around the edges, and the soft rubber coating has excellent tactile feel versus the hard case of iPad.

The exactly 7" color screen was easy to look at no matter what I saw or did, except for one childrens book that was simply scans of the large illustrated pages, thus the text shrunk to nearly unreadable (fault of publisher, really).

The interface is obviously modified to deal with the smaller screen and did have a few nice features too, was well implemented.

Otherwise it really sucked balls. IOW, it was a HORRIBLE overall.
    Lacked features standard in other tabs, power button on bottom and raised, very, very easy to turn it off inadvertently.
    Laggy, stuttery, sometimes unresponsive more often then other tabs.
    (Of course hard core Amazon and first time Tab buyers would likely not notice.)

YES, the point of this post is 7~8" iPad form factor will succeed with the right balance of size, shape, and feel.

No question a 7.5" iPad will sell like crazy.
    The portability factor goes up exponentially for each inch in size reduction, and women are very, very picky about size.
    A few years ago a study found women were the leading buyers of ultra-small laptops (pre Netbooks, also called Palmtops), because they were much more conscious of weight and size then men.

While good, larger then 7" is better, between 8" and 7". 7.7" may be just a little too big to manage, so that is why I think 7.5".

Samsung has an 8.9" I could also just wrap my fingers around and is ultra thin (part of reason I could just grasp it), but its aspect ratio is different then iPad, so no way that will work for smaller iPad, but a very thin body a 7.9" is possible.

I have my asbestos underwear on, so flame away, but betting odds are Apple will make a smaller iPad, at the very least to cater to smaller build adults and children.

2. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

3. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Only a women could write this and not see the sexual inuendo's littered throughout. lol

But you prayers may be answered next year, if the rumors of a 7.85" iPad mini are to be believed.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I was interested in those pre-netbook, ultra small laptops, but eventually concluded they were too small to be useful. And that's how I feel abut a 7-8 inch iPad. Sure, it'll fit in my purse, but I'm not going to buy one, because it will be too small to read regular websites on it. When the iPad is too big to take, which is not too often, I just take my iPhone. Since I need the pocket-sized device, and I like the 9+ inch tablet, I have no need for a in-between size tablet.

5. pintamino macrumors newbie

Unless I'm going to some kind of formal event and only taking a small bag, my iPad fits comfortably in every day-to-day bag I own? I can't see the need for a smaller device between a smartphone and an iPad. It would be redundant to one or the other.

6. SporkLover macrumors 6502

It's a post-jobs world. Tim Cook hasn't shown whether he is going to follow the forged path.

7. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Tim Cook is most certainly in the "hot seat" having inherited the job from Steve, so to speak. The target of comparisons and the second guessers "what would Steve have done?" I don't envy his position.

That said, I really like the guy and have great confidence he will be successful. In fact in some ways he's got an advantage I'm sure he will make the best of. Slowly but surely he may give us some choices that were previously blocked by Steves strange ways.

If Apple offers 3 sizes of MBP's, two sizes of MBA's, there's just no reason not to offer this rumored smaller iPad. As a man who's 6'4" with large hands, I will be very happy with a 7" iPad. I've wanted one ever since owning a 7" Galaxy Tab over the last year. My iPad 2 will stay at home, my 7" will be a constant carry.

8. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

flip it so the button is on top problem solved.

9. poloponies macrumors 68030

The glowing review of "I love the size of the Fire even though I'm not crazy about the device itself" pretty much demonstrates the fallacy of the argument. People say "Apple should make a 7" iPad because they'll sell millions of them" as if it involves flicking a switch on an assembly line. If Apple could make a 7" device that functioned as well as the 10" then they'd be doing it, but it's not currently viable. It will happen when they can make it happen, but I have yet to use a 7" device that makes me want to give up my iPad.

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Of course they could they do make something that does more then a ipad it is a iphone. it is a lot smaller then a ipad. so it is not a problem but they will only do it if they think they can sell enough of them.

11. SporkLover macrumors 6502

So you seem to have the inside track..... why would a 7inch ipad not function as well as a 10 inch?

Why is it not viable?

12. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

There's a certain, almost comical scenario that exists among a huge number of people here, it's a steadfast "anti-7" iPad" clan.

Several months ago when the topic came up, there was a massively long thread with entry after entry citing every excuse imaginable about how bad the idea is.

If Apple does decide to build a 7" model, suddenly we will witness a flip flop and read what a brilliant idea it is. It's as simple as that.

If Apple builds it suddenly it's the best thing ever.

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Hardware wise, sure, no problem. It's the software that's the problem -- or more precisely, the UI. For instance, take a look at the calendar app for iPhone, then the one for iPad.

http://www.google.com/search?q=ipho...qFInz0gHcuuytCQ&ved=0CDsQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=672

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...7l36090l0l38090l6l6l0l0l0l0l228l591l0.1.2l3l0

Totally different layouts, right? So what would you do for a calendar app for a 7 inch iPad? Stretch out the iPhone app? Shrink the iPad app? Or create a third new layout just for the 7 inch screen? That is the issue Apple has to solve before it releases a 7 inch tablet.

14. SporkLover macrumors 6502

Sure there are growing or shrinking pains that come with changing/updating form factors. Re-designing UI to fit a different screen size, updating apps, etc......

But that's nothing I would place in the category of not functioning as well, or not viable.

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, ok, "not viable" may be a bit too extreme, but IMO, stretching or shrinking existing apps to fit a 7 inch screen will likely leave us with a UI that doesn't function well, in the sense of not being pleasant to use. So then, in order to be fully functional, most apps will need a third layout scheme. Problem is, even now, with two different sizes, developers often start out with an app in just one size, then take forever to come out with the other size, or sometimes just never get around to it. Three sizes, and the problem will be worse. I think eventually the iOS ecosystem will mature enough to support more screen sizes, but I also think Apple shouldn't rush the process.

16. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Not really. Most iPad users know how futile a 7" iPad would be in replacing the 10" iPad. It is just comical trying to pinch and zoom to read stuff. I very rarely use my iPhone to browse the web or attempt to read a magazine or book. Anyone that says it's fine trying to read web pages or magazines on a 7" tablet are full of it.
    But if Tim Cook wants to put Amazon out of the tablet business, he may just create a stripped down 7" iPod and sell it at $250.

17. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

A 7 inch iPad, so long as it was still at 4:3 ratio, could easily have the same screen resolution as the current iPad. Run exactly the same version of iOS on it. No new software developement cost, just new hardware. They update the hardware every year or so anyway. I can see them eventually having 3 sizes of iPads. Why? To give everyone who thinks the 9.7" iPad is too big an iPad to buy that is smaller and slightly less expensive. Why the 3rd? To give everyone who wishes they had a larger iPad one to buy. Steve told Cook: "Don't ever stop and think "What would Steve do?". It is clear that smaller tablets with an ecosystem behind them will sell. Amazon wouldn't be selling a million each week if Apple had been advertising their trim new 7.5" iPad running the Kindle app, the Nook app, iBooks, and every other iOS app as well, for only $100 more than the Fire. JMHO

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you did that, all screen elements would shrink. In the meanwhile, your fingers stay the same size. Hence why Jobs said you'll need to file down your fingers in order to use a 7 inch device.

19. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Amazon isn't selling a million Fire's a week. They are selling all Kindle products combined, a million per week. Which is still approx 1/5th of comparitive Apple sales.

20. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

What I get a kick out of is that before the ipad came out everyone was saying why would we want a tablet it will suck no one will buy it. Now the same thing is getting said about a smaller version.

21. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

I would like to see a 14" iPad. 10" is so dainty, girly, wussified. And 7" would only be useful to toddlers. There are MEN that use these things, right? Ive needs to quit tucking his penis between his legs.

22. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Scan the screen of your iPad. Shrink it down to until it is 7.5" diagonally. Now print it out. Easy enough to prove your fingers can still touch seperate items easily. You'll also discover it is easier, since your arms will need to move less to reach across the screen. I've just done this, and there is nothing that needs to be rescalled. The shrink rate is roughly 77.3% of original. Or if it iritates you to think about slightly smaller icons, then Apple can go ahead and copy Google/Android 4.0 to make iOS auto-scaling to fit whatever screen size it is installed on while keeping the size of things ergonomically perfect.

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Ok, tried it with a few apps, and I admit, it's not as bad as I thought. However, the difference in size is just enough to make seeing and selecting the UI elements just a touch uncomfortable. I would like it better if Apple did implement auto-scaling, not just for ios, but for OS X too. I can hardly read he menu items on my 27 inch iMac, the letters ae so small!

24. matt90036 macrumors regular

+1
    seriously I can't imagine fitting a 10" iPad into my pocket. And I'm not a lady so I don't carry bag so that's another problem. for me there are two choices:
    a) get a sex change and buy myself a fashionable bag that can fit 10" iPad
    b) wait till Jobs flips over in his grave and the Cook cooks up a 7" iPad
    and really, what is up with so many 7" iPad haters? I have a simple solution for you DO NOT BUY 7" iPAD!!!!

25. kolax macrumors G3

I hope they don't release a 7" iPad.

I'm finding it almost impossible to choose between an 11" MacBook Air and a 13" MacBook Air. I think when I buy an iPad in a few months, having to pick between 7" and 9.7" will be a very difficult task.

Though, I'd probably buy the 7". Or the 9.7".