Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
This site and all who post here continue to make this one of the most interesting, entertaining, frustrating, hilarious and passionate forum experiences I've ever been involved in. Time and time again, I'm drawn into its embrace, often annoyed at myself for not being able to let go.

You're very welcome. :D

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Saw this article today and was reminded of this thread.

See? I may be crazy but I'm not demented. Yet.

Still, speaking solely for myself, I take some issue with the following:

What might be a surprise, though, is that all of this online interaction is apparently not detracting from interaction with close friends and family offline.

;)

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I find this to be extremely true.
Internet users also report that the Internet helps them make new friends, both online and off. Internet users, on average, have just under five contacts online who they consider to be "friends" but have never met in real life, and almost two friends in real life that they originally met online. Those numbers may seem low to those of us who frequent events like Arsmeets on a regular basis, but the report claims that the number of offline friends that originated online has more than doubled since the project began six years ago. Tipping the scales on the high end, I think it's fairly safe to say that well over 80% of all of my real life friends and acquaintances originated from the Internet in some way—that's well over just two people.

Most importantly, the report says that 43 percent of those who participate in online communities feel "as strongly" about their online buddies as those offline. What this shows is that—due to the proliferation of chat rooms, blogs, sites like MySpace, forums, games, virtual worlds, and other communities online—Internet users are reaching out to more people, not less, as technology critics have feared. So, anyone want to go grab a cup of coffee?

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
I'm just here because, because... I knew I had a reason for coming here somewhere, where the hell did I put it? :D

Seriously though, you are the bunch that convinced me to get a Mac back in the days... imagine what would've happened if I had ended up at Spymac forums instead of here :eek: :D

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
Must agree. I got invited to the wedding of 2 of my Internet buddies. Couldn't go though, toooo far away.

I may have got raped and pillaged, but only if I was lucky.

Hope all is well BV, lovin' it, lovin' it, lovin' it. Lovin' like thattttttt!!

:confused:

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Ahead of the curve... ;)

X121601AU.jpg

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
:Hugs: to BV and everyone!! :)

Yup, about a year and several months ago I was flirting with the idea of making the Big Switch....so, in my search for information, I stumbled upon MR. I soon found myself drawn to this site day after day. I indeed did make the Leap of Faith and now use only Macs every day, the old Windows machines sitting forlornly, untouched and unloved, in another room. Also, each and every day I come here, too, for my MR "fix." Can't imagine life without you all now!

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
Well I guess I'm excluded from this thread, right Blue Velvet? :p ;)

Hey!!! Get out of here!!! Thi thread is only for people who hugged&loved blue velvet before...ummm....*long pause*The thiteenth second of 7:06 AM Mountain Standard Time!!!!

;)

Maybe we need a [playlistId=135910&s=143441&i=135904]sing-along[/playlistId]! (U.S. iTunes Store)

Or maybe we should do a play of this!

;)

A MESSAGE FROM TOMBO

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I don't post here very often but have lurked for long enough to think very fondly of you all so i'm going to join this love in.

I love you all too :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.