I lucked out...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Yumunum, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I just felt like sharing my experience!

I bought a 2011 13" 256GB MacBook Air two weeks ago. Things were going pretty well, and I got the Samsung display AND the Samsung SSD. But I noticed that my return and shift keys made a small "crunch"-like sound when getting clicked. They were slightly more resistant than the rest of the keys. Also, my computer wasn't built tightly enough, and when using it or applying even the SLIGHTEST bit of pressure on certain parts, the computer made a click noise. I thought it was questionable and annoying, but I figured most of the Airs must have that problem due to being made so thin.

Yesterday night I was hanging out with friends, and there was a freak accident where a gust of wind sent a half-full can of soda all over the place. My computer was moderatly splashed with soda, and it pretty much freaked me out. My last MacBook Pro had glasses cleaner spilled on it and it costed me $500 for a new logic board. After wiping it down I realized that over time the soda could corode the internals and I'd be screwed. I have basically no money and I couldn't afford another mishap like this.

Today I went to my Apple Store, and explained my situation - honestly. The Genius tried looking at my keyboard problems but he didn't notice anything different and said they were normal. (figures though, it was so loud in the store that he couldn't hear the noise) He then went to the back to open the computer up and see what's going on. He came back and said he found no soda, but he'd give me a replacement anyways. I was insanely grateful.

I got home and found out I was very lucky. The replacement has both a Samsung display and SSD, just like my first. My keys are working perfectly. The computer makes no weird "clicking" noises, and feels completely solid. And also, my trackpad physical-click button is now firmer, in a good way.

Basically, Apple's customer service seems to rock. I had another experience not too long ago with my iPhone 4, a Genius couldn't actually see my problems but he replaced it anyways.

Just thought I'd share this, maybe someone will care!

2. PaulWog, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2011

PaulWog Suspended

Why is it that people are SO obsessed with getting the Samsung screen? There's no difference between the screens. And technically, Andandtech said that the LG display is superior.

3. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

That makes no sense. You say there's no difference, and then you say the LG is superior. So, which is it?

4. B.Chang macrumors member

I think he meant at a realistic level the screens are no different in every day use. However, technically, as in a technical level, the LG is superior.

I'm not familiar with the screens, but that's how I interpreted his post. :]

5. marrzie macrumors regular

LOL. I guess the LG he had might have been better but just hearing all the stories posted on the forums it seems that not all screens are created equal. But the majority do seem to say the samsung has better viewing angles at least from the posts I have read. I can always calibrate to try to improve the color profile but I am not sure you can calibrate viewing angles.
    If nothing else I want samsung so next year when I go to sell it it might be an advantage vs someone selling an lg/toshiba equipped air.

6. aCuria macrumors member

Since when was the 13" LG better according to Andand?

7. The Catalyst macrumors 6502

Congrats on being 2 for 2!

And yes, apple customer service rocks when you're honest with them. :apple:

8. PaulWog Suspended

As another poster said, I could have added the word "realistically there is no difference", but I thought it was implied when I said "technically LG is better".

When I say "technically", that means numerically... scientifically... measurably. But not necessarily by a human's abilities.

So anyways, to clarify: There is no difference between LG and Samsung that is actually noticeable or worthy of making an exchange. However, technically LG is better based on a review which used a scientific approach with a device of some sort. The difference is so minimal that no one should care.

The SSD's are actually a different scenario where it can be noticeable. However I wouldn't have cared if I got a Toshiba SSD (I got Samsung)... I originally would've fretted... but honestly the real-world difference is again so minimal. In the case of the SSD's, the argument has a ton more merit than comparing the screens though.

Anyways, I'm getting off-topic: My point is that people are so worried about having 100% Samsung, and they forget that they need to stop and check the facts. Everyone jumped on the "I must have Samsung screen" bandwagon right away... and sadly that is now a rumour which is ringing through the Mac community and coming back in forum posts where people go "yes! I got all Samsung!" after Anandtech already proved that at least one LG screen was in fact better... and so very marginally.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So another thread turns into Samsung V LG again!!!.....

OP. Good to hear you had great customer service from your Apple store. :)

10. zerind macrumors member

Meh, my i7 I returned had the LG and the i5 I just received has the Samsung. There is absolutely no perceivable difference between the two after I calibrated them. I don't care what specs say, unless you have superhuman eyes you won't be able to tell a damn difference.

11. Gemütlichkeit macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

12. ZipZap macrumors 601

Why do people use these expensive laptops in situations where liquids can spill on them?

BTW...I really dont want to know about it...please dont post.

13. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Apple sure does seem to go out of their way to help people more than most other companies in situations like this.

14. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

15. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yeah, and the SSD is slow, the hinge is creaky, the battery bulges, the processor overheats, the keys are sticky, the speakers are weak and it smells. It's a wonder anyone would buy one... :rolleyes:

16. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Forgot to mention that it's heavy and ugly!

17. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

I don't believe I said that. I could go on in lengths about how awesome most aspects of the MBAs are, but let's face it, the screens are poor compared to what you usually get from Apple. MBP, iMac, iPhone, iPad - they all have great displays.

People rejoycing over getting the Samsung are being a bit silly. Anectodal evidence says it's marginally better than the LG, but both are still a far cry from the rest of Apple's products.

18. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

19. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Thanks for clarifying that. Really.

20. KPOM macrumors G5

Yes, Apple customer service often makes policy exceptions. I had a similar incident involving a glass of wine and my 2010. Apple waived the $755 repair charge. For my 2011, I plan to get accidental damage insurance.

21. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

Wow, I'm just glad you got an exchange. Must be nice to be rid of the weird clicking and creaking noises.

22. Des Zac macrumors regular

Can someone explain what you mean by LG/Samsung is better? When I go to the apple online store there isn't an option for a screen brand :/

Thanks,

-Zach

23. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

uh oh...

24. Des Zac macrumors regular

What?