I Luv the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Except for . . .

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Scottyee, May 26, 2012.

1. Scottyee, May 26, 2012
    Last edited: May 26, 2012

Scottyee macrumors regular

Ok, I just purchased a Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard for my iPad 3 and am immediately impressed with it's ultra thin sleek and compact design, the feel of the keys, and sheer ease when typing. I was quickly able to adjust to the smaller keys and type as fast as I do on my Apple BT keyboard, and with little or no errors. I love how this Logitech KB magnetically attaches to the iPad the same way my Apple Smart Cover does (including triggering iPad sleep/awake feature), and contrary to what I read from some other reviews, that the magnet is stronger than I expected, both when carrying the magnetically paired units around, as well as when pulling the pair out of my 10" Waterfield Muzetto bag , as the iPad+Logitech keyboard don't inadvertantly detach, nor accidently trigger the iPad's sleep awake function either.

That said, there remains ONE ISSUE :eek: that remains a concern: the high potential for SCRATCHES ocurring on the exposed aluminum BACK, on both the iPad, as well as the Logitech Ultrathin. Unfortunately, the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard's iPad "magnetic slot" (which holds up the iPad when typing) is only able to accomodate holding a "naked" iPad, so everytime I want to use the keyboard, I must remember to remove :( the iPad 3's protective back cover (Incase Mag Snap).

One solution to prevent scratching the aluminum back on the iPad itself would be to install an iPad "Skin", which I'm guessing would be thin enough to still allow the iPad to fit (and with adequate magnetic strength) in the Logitech Keyboard's channel slot when in typing mode. Are there any Logitech Utrathin keyboard owners here with a skin installed on their iPad that can confirm that this setup works? If so, which brand/model iPad skin (or back cover) are you successfully using?

This now leads me to finding a solution to prevent scratches on the aluminum back of the Logitech Ultrathin keyboard. The answer appears self evident: finding an iPad skin manufacterer willing to produce a transparent back skin specifically designed for the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard. Anybody here know if one is available or in the works?

Advice and feedback greatly appreciated. :)

2. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

I picked up the zagg folio but maybe considering returning it for this product because i use my ipad naked around the house. I hate having to take the iPad out all the time. But what's stopping me is this issue your scared about. However I do have an invisible shield installed on the front and back of my iPad. How sure how that would work for the keyboard though.

Hmm decisions, decisions..

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Ghost armor on front and back of iPad 3 and on aluminum part of logitech. No problems at all with the setup.

4. Breezer23 macrumors member

Which piece did you buy for the keyboard?

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Not sure....the ghost armor guy picked it out. It's just a square piece that fits well over the cover's back.

6. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

This isn't rocket science. There are no Ultrathin specific skins, so the only option is to use one made for an iPad, either as is or trimmed.

7. eg2007 macrumors 6502

Here's what I did. Cost me $6:

8. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

9. Scottyee, May 28, 2012
    Last edited: May 28, 2012

Scottyee thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately for me, the link you gave, is to an Invisible Shield Protector for an older Logitiech Keyboard Case, and it won't fit the new Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard of which is a bit smaller.

I hope Invisible Shield and/or other skin manufacterers (BestSkinsEver, etc) will be soon releasing skins specifically created to fit the Logitech Ultrathin. Fingers crossed.

10. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

I might just buy a bse because it's cheap and cut it to fit.

11. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

12. eg2007 macrumors 6502

Uh, no. It's this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051RIOV4?ie=UTF8&ref=aw_bottom_links&force-full-site=1

13. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

14. eg2007 macrumors 6502

It's not made for the ultra thin. It's for the iPad 1, but with a little trim (as you can see, the corners), fits beautifully. For $1.99, it's a steal.

15. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

I just purchased an Ultra thin at my local Costco and I gave it a try. I love the concept, however the magnet is not strong enough, it comes apart very easily and does not feel safe. During the few hours I was testing it out and carrying it around the house, I almost dropped it a few times. I would not feel safe carrying this thing around outside the house. Very disappointed in the magnet, other than that, great keyboard, great concept. Will be returning tomorrow.

16. jorsuss macrumors member

I love the keyboard but not as a case. I leave it at work because that is the only place I use the keyboard. I am looking for some kind of sleeve to put the ipad in. I have cases but it is too annoying to pop the case off and put the ipad in the keyboard everyday. It is difficult to find a basic stupid sleeve. Best buy has hello kitty and pink ones. The apple store that I went to only carries smart covers.

17. Techwriter macrumors regular

I purchased this Griffin sleeve from Amazon. I didn't know if I would use it very much so I didn't want to pay a fortune. I also wanted something that looked a bit professional. It fits the new iPad fine. I place it inside the sleeve with the dock connector exposed and charge it overnight.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CKAQ9U/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00

18. soundtracker macrumors member

Skin for Logitech UltraThin

Not a clear one that the OP was looking for, but iCarbons has a skin for this

19. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

Very nice its about time someone comes out with a skin for this. Is this a skin for the back or the front where the keys are?

20. Scottyee, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012

Scottyee thread starter macrumors regular

soundtracker: thanks for the heads up on that. I've subsequenly ordered the iCarbon skin for the Logitech Ultrathin, and in the brushed aluminum style finish. I used 20%off discount code: REDHOT. :)

I also earlier purchased a BestSkinsEver clear back skin for my iPad 3 (Memorial Day Sale priced ) and successfully installed it. It looks great, with the skin providing an added grippy feel, plus giving the aluminum back an impressive clear gloss look. Together with the Black Apple Leather Smart, though it doesn't offer drop protection, this setup will protect from scratching while preserving the iPad's original minimalist size and weight. I look forward to seeing how this looks when magnetically paired with the Logitech Ultrathin KB with the iCarbon back skin, as when paired together, both sides will be aluminum metal color. :)

21. jennyfer macrumors member

I have been using this keyboard with my Switcheasy Canvas (the new model) and it works perfectly. I am using it on a table as I don't think it's secure with the magnets but it's working fine. It's probably not ideal but I'm glad I can use the keyboard without taking the ipad out of the case. I really love this keyboard so much more than the Apple BT version.

22. joekim1026 macrumors regular

hey guys, i have a great solution! i actually use my smart cover to protect my ultarthin keyboard cover.

there's a video up on youtube that shows how it can be done very nicely. just search logitech ultarthin keyboard cover + smart cover and it should show up

23. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

Thats interesting, although I'd prefer a skin.

@scottyee that code for icarbons didn't work.

24. Scottyee thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Meltdown,
    I probably would have prefered a clear skin too, but until BestSkinsEver
    or Someone else releases one,and because I got the REDHOT discount code which yesterday, "worked fine" for me) I figured what the hell, I'd give the iCarbons "brushed aluminum" one a try. In the meantime, my Blue Lounge "Kicks" are keeping my Ultrathin from getting scratched, and in addition, they keep the Logitech Ultrathin + iPad, firmly planted in place on a table surface w/o sliding whatsoever. I suspect a skin (either clear or iCarbon textured) wouldn't prevent sliding nearly as well. I'll let you know once I've received and find time to install the iCarbon skin on the Ultrathin KB. :)