I made a MacBook Pro for my final

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pavenger, Mar 10, 2010.

1. pavenger macrumors regular

So, Im taking a TECH class at my university where we draft things Using a program called Solidworks (People with experience in any kind of engineering knows what this is) Well for my final I had to make something of my choice so I thought, what better to make than the computer i'd be using to make it... Anyway, Here is my 15" Unibody MacBook Pro that is Accurate to the tenth of a millimeter. I know this isn't the most impressive thing anyone has ever made, but it took me 8 hours and who better to show it to than you guys. I will later print this out with a Rapid Prototype Machine (3d printer) and I'll post pictures of the end result in White ABS plastic. After two years in college I have finally done something cool...

LINK to my Picasa Web Album

2. Edd.Dantes macrumors 6502

If you have the CPU power and time, please do some photographic quality renders.

That is, if the student version allows rendering/photoworks, etc.

Nice work !

3. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Really awesome! Were the speaker holes hard to do?

4. pavenger thread starter macrumors regular

No, I only had to make one hole then translate it to all the other locations. Solidworks does a lot of the work for you. Unfortunately I had to make the holes bigger than real life since the rapid prototype machine we have can't make those holes as precise as they are in real life.

Yeah the student version allows photographic rendering. I didn't know it had that until you asked... Im messing with some settings to get a good picture and I'll post it to my picasa as well. yeah, my MBP is handling the rendering quite well actually. better than the machines at school at least

5. pavenger thread starter macrumors regular

I managed to render them with proper lighting and color but when creating the keyboard, I made a mistake that makes the space between the keys black. other than that it looks pretty legit.
    MBP4.jpg

6. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

7. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Is the top line and the lower line of the case bottom parallel? It might be a trick of the eye, but on my screen it looks like the lower line veers off, away from the case.

8. pavenger thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, its an Isometric view of the left side... Solidworks does some weird things to the perspective and since the screen and the case are not at right angles to each other it throws off the lines...

9. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I noticed from the straight on view it seemed to be thinner in the front? A little confused with a few of the angles, but I am sure it's just me as it's a little early here. To be honest, I wasn't impressed until you put the photographic rendering image up. That looks way more impressive to me, but I am no expert at this... just an Mac fan browsing the forums.

With the photographic rendering and some more class time, you will be making your own "blurry-camera photos" of the next MBP port selection, iPhone frame, or internals of the iPad showing a camera hole... ha ha. Don't worry though, no matter how good you get someone will say it's a fake.

Good work and good luck with your grade.

10. seb-opp macrumors 6502

11. pavenger thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, now that I look back, it does look crappy in comparison. I got the space between the keys back to aluminum and i fixed some of the perspective issues and now I have more updated photos in my picasa album. The hinge isn't on there perfect, but its 4 am for me and i have been up for 20hrs straight so im not going to dick with it too much longer. thanks. and judging my some other work by other kids in my class im sure i'll be looking at a 4.0 for my final

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

13. pavenger thread starter macrumors regular

14. pavenger thread starter macrumors regular

No, Its a late 2008 Unibody MBP with a 2.53ghz C2D.

15. All Taken macrumors 6502a

16. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

17. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

when will these be avail. for sale ?

whats the price?
    :p

its nice for someone to give us an update....i know apple cant

18. ideasunlimited macrumors newbie

Running SolidWorks on a mac

Hey, by chance were you running SolidWorks on the very same mac you modeled? I've been looking at installing SolidWorks on a mac (running boot camp , of course) wasn't sure if you've had any luck with this.

19. solarein macrumors regular

He's modeling his Mac, modeling his Mac, modeling his Mac...

20. All Taken macrumors 6502a

Ha Ha I saw what you did there and I liked it. ;)

21. pavenger thread starter macrumors regular

YEah solidworks runs great on my machine. (Xp professional in bootcamp) and yeah I'm using the same machine to make this model. OnE thing to keep on mind is that since there are no center mouse buttons on the trackpad you can't drag to rotate the camera position like you can with a mouse so it would be handy to use a USB mouse or something.

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I remember doing a similar project when I was in school:)

I did a lawn sprinkler though in my entry to ProE classhaha

23. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

24. prodigee macrumors 6502a

25. Perrumpo macrumors 68000

Perrumpo