Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I agree! I really think that Apple has backed themselves in a corner with the thinner and lighter thing. Each new phone they like to brag about how much thinner and lighter it is than the previous model. Now Apple HAS to do it for each model! Lol. But seriously, if this "Bendgate" isnt proof of this, what is?

Thinner and lighter is always better. Know why? Here's why: the moment Apple stops making a thinner and lighter phone someone else will do it and that will spell the end of one of Apple's primary differentiators. There's no reason a thin phone can't be ridged. It's simply a matter of materials and engineering. Thinness in and of itself is not a limiting factor.

oneofthenine

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2014
Yeah, no kidding. It "belongs" wherever the owner chooses to put it. By the same token the owner needs to take responsibility for whatever consequences result. Not exactly rocket science.

I don't think you can argue that an acceptable consequence of putting a phone in your pocket is that it might bend.

Unless of course Apple put a warning out with it that states that pocketing may result in damage to your phone.

Phones go in pockets, other phones of this size go in pockets perfectly fine without damage.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
no, it's not.

the phone is pretty much unusable without a case. slips out of your hand easily and is uncomfortable to hold.

thank goodness for the silicone case, because i probably wouldn't be using this phone

No, you mean it slips out of YOUR hand easily and YOU find it unusable without a case. But here's the thing: your OPINION is not universal. Example: it doesn't seem too thin or slippery to me at all. I can use mine without a case just fine. And as with all anecdotes, for every person you can find who agrees with you, I can find one who agrees with me.

So, yes. Thinner is always better. Because I say so. I win the Internet.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
Thinner and lighter is always better. Know why? Here's why: the moment Apple stops making a thinner and lighter phone someone else will do it and that will spell the end of one of Apple's primary differentiators. There's no reason a thin phone can't be ridged. It's simply a matter of materials and engineering. Thinness in and of itself is not a limiting factor.

I disagree. A phone can only get so thin before it becomes difficult to hold and pick up. I use a TPU case on my iPhone 5 because it was too thin and not easy for me to hold.

A device should be easy for the owner to use. If thinness does not serve this end, what is the point? Thinness for the sake of thinness makes no sense.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I don't think you can argue that an acceptable consequence of putting a phone in your pocket is that it might bend.

Putting this phone in your pocket won't cause it to bend. It takes more than that. Your biased agenda is showing.

----------

I disagree. A phone can only get so thin before it becomes difficult to hold and pick up. I use a TPU case on my iPhone 5 because it was too thin and not easy for me to hold.

A device should be easy for the owner to use. If thinness does not serve this end, what is the point? Thinness for the sake of thinness makes no sense.

Well, it's a good thing you aren't running Apple, because if you were you'd be giving up one of their primary competitive advantages without thinking it through.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
No, you mean it slips out of YOUR hand easily and YOU find it unusable without a case. But here's the thing: your OPINION is not universal. Example: it doesn't seem too thin or slippery to me at all. I can use mine without a case just fine. And as with all anecdotes, for every person you can find who agrees with you, I can find one who agrees with me.

There will come a point where a device is so thin that the majority of users have difficulty using it. This is like display size. The 6 plus can be easily used one-handed by ***some*** customers, but not by most customers.

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014

okay, if that's what helps YOU sleep at NIGHT.

go get yourself checked.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
There will come a point where a device is so thin that the majority of users have difficulty using it. This is like display size. The 6 plus can be easily used one-handed by ***some*** customers, but not by most customers.

Hogwash. Do you have trouble picking up a credit card? Didn't think so. If Apple can make it as thin as a credit card they will. Mark my words.

oneofthenine

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2014
Putting this phone in your pocket won't cause it to bend. It takes more than that. Your biased agenda is showing.

Actually you were talking about pockets and taking responsibility for what happens when it is put there.

Bobo03 said:
Originally Posted by Bobo03 View Post
I'll treat it like all my other phones until it is renamed the inotpocketableminicomputerthancanmakecalls.

and you said:

Surf Monkey said:
Yeah, no kidding. It "belongs" wherever the owner chooses to put it. By the same token the owner needs to take responsibility for whatever consequences result. Not exactly rocket science.

So where were you thinking about if not pockets that is the users fault for bends occuring?

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Way to go super sleuth however he never mentioned posting about it. Says he made fun of the hoopla. :D

Besides he a reddit link, there are tons more bent iPhone users posting pics there and I would wager a large majority of them aren't members here. Some people aren't into Apple stuff as much as you and I are but post when their phone is messed up.

I like how you took it upon yourself and directly attacked me. I just wrote my thoughts. And I just love how you went to his defense when I didn't accuse him of anything. This is one of the reasons why MR is taking a dive in quality. :rolleyes:

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014

----------

Well, it's a good thing you aren't running Apple, because if you were you'd be giving up one of their primary competitive advantages without thinking it through.

it's easier to hold thicker objects.

someone failed at logic and science :rolleyes:

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
I'll treat it like all my other phones until it is renamed the inotpocketableminicomputerthancanmakecalls.

Up until bendgate, my pant pocket was the safest place for a phone IMO. i never dropped a phone that was in my pocket. I dropped my iPhone 4 a few time carrying it around, if it was not for my otter box it would have broke a few times. My cousin dropped her phone into the laundry machine from a fall from her shirt pocket, poor phone died.

Holding your phone in your hands is also a great way to get robbed too. The note 3/4 do not seem have this problem and their display is almost 50% larger than the iPhone 6 and are over 100% stronger.

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014
Actually, if you honestly think that your opinion reflects the opinion of everyone then you're the one who probably needs to get checked. And maybe look into a sense of humor too.

lol.

the fact that you think a thin piece of aluminum is comfortable to hold is bizarre. i actually hope your phone slips out of your hand one of these days, karma loves coming around to bite a lot of people in the ass (ala bend thread)

had apple made the phone thicker, added a better battery and maybe used a better material, the phone would be fine without a case

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

There were already thinner and lighter smartphones and tablets then the iPhone 6 and iPad Air. Granted not as popular but then again what smartphone is as popular as the iPhone.

oneofthenine

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2014
Surf Monkey,

Before you continue in this thread can you please notice what you are doing again in coming to it and starting trouble. You have nothing positive to contribute at all to it and will simply act to rub others up the wrong way on purpose. Henry as well no doubt.

This is what people keep saying in the other threads too, same approach to every one of these bent phone threads from you guys.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008

Attachments

• img-thing.jpg
    img-thing.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 1,218

Daniel3102

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2014

Yeah but you dont hear samsung bragging about how thin/light their new phones are. Maybe it does need better internal engineering. Maybe a truss or support.

But the point where you sacrifice battery life and make the camera protrude just to make it .7mm thinner is too far. Becuase they backed themselves into this thinner/lighter corner, they HAD to make it thinner. They Could have kept it at 7.6mm (thats not even that thick to begin with) and put a MUCH bigger battery (2000+ mAh on the 6 and maybe 3000+ mAh on the 6+) AND the camera would sit flush to the metal!

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Hogwash. Do you have trouble picking up a credit card? Didn't think so. If Apple can make it as thin as a credit card they will. Mark my words.

Hold a credit card in between your thumb and fingers like you would a phone and tell me that's an experience you would want to have.

We've pretty much hit the point with smartphones @ 6.9mm where anything thinner isn't just diminishing returns, but possibly negative returns.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013

I've followed Apple since the days of the Apple ][. What makes Apple products popular is that they are friendly and easy to use relative to competing products. That's the Apple advantage. Engineering choices should in theory be driven by whether they are beneficial to the customers experience, not whether they satisfy some abstract benchmark.

One example of abstract benchmarks going wrong was the Intel Pentium 4. It was designed to ramp up to incredible clock speeds because Intel believed that MHz sells. By 2004, the Pentium 4 (Prescott core) was a power hungry mess that underperformed competition from AMD. By focusing on a metric rather than end result to customer, Intel ended up creating a less than optimal product. Intel was on the run from AMD for 2 years until they were able to introduce Conroe, a CPU designed for performance and energy efficiency rather than high clock speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.