I Melted My Keyboard!!! 15" rMBP :-(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by renosausage, Dec 26, 2012.

1. renosausage macrumors regular

I did something very stupid today.

For Christmas I received an iCarbons skin for my new 15"rMBP

I absolutely love the skin, but in one spot I had to use a blow dryer to heat up a section that just wasn't fitting right.

Well..... I got the skin to fit perfectly but unfortunately I did not realize that I was MELTING MY KEYS!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80152632@N08/8311459806/

Here is the melted keys :-(

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80152632@N08/8311482556/

Well at least I got my Razer Mouse for CHRISTMAS!!! :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80152632@N08/8310426149/

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

hahaha go beg the apple genius for replacements

3. renosausage thread starter macrumors regular

Well actually I just ordered a used keyboard from eBay, It only costs me $40 including shipping.

I was so relieved to find that deal, Can you believe these keys are $14.95 a PIECE!!!:eek:

Apple said they would replace it for free, but my nearest Apple Store is 3 hrs away. So it was cheaper for me just to spend the $40 bucks.

4. krravi macrumors 65816

Wasn't there an Apple advisory warning not to place any skins or palm rests on the Retina MBP?

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Lol I did the same. I only melted like 3 keys, so I went on ebay and bought them for $0.99 apiece. Where did you see them for $14.95?

6. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

Aw that's awful, especially when it happened because you tried to protect the machine.

Are you sure the keyboard is for the retina model? The normal pro has thicker keys, so their keys won't fit a retina pro. I'd be surprised if there were used retina parts around already because they've only been out a few months.

I'd get Apple to do it if they offered to do it for free :)

7. renosausage thread starter macrumors regular

www.replacementlaptopkeys.com

Do you replace your keys on a Retina Macbook Pro?

I tried some from a cMBP but the connectors are different. I couldn't find them cheap anywhere!

8. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Oops I didn't notice you had a retina.

9. renosausage thread starter macrumors regular

I hope so :( , The bid specifically stated 15" Retina Model and the Model Number was also the A1398 which is for the Retina Models.

10. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Can you post a link to the auction?

11. renosausage thread starter macrumors regular

12. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

That looks like the right keyboard for your computer.

13. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

14. Ccrew macrumors 68020

There was. Due to the tight clearance to the screen. Doesn't mean people listen though.

15. krravi macrumors 65816

So Apple agreed to replace it for free even though it was your mistake and you still went the E-bay route?

16. renosausage thread starter macrumors regular

I keep a rad tech cloth between my screen and keyboard. This cloth keeps particles and the skin from scratching the screen. I use my rMBP outside for my job so I need the skin for protection against scratches. I also have a nice anti glare protector on the screen so I can use it in sunlight throughout the day. I listened, but my lifestyle requires the protection. If I was just gaming and surfing the web I would not even install the skin. :)

17. nizmoz macrumors 65816

I have done this exact same thing! I was about to buy one when I decided to see what the Apple Store would do and they fixed it for free for me.

I was a happy camper. But be warned, when I researched, there are many different versions of the keyboards for the laptops. So just replacing the keys didn't work for me.

18. renosausage thread starter macrumors regular

Well, in an earlier posts I explained how far the nearest apple store was. The distance would require about $70 worth of fuel and I would also have to leave it with them and then come back and get it. I save time and money getting it from eBay. If fuel was free I would totally let Apple do it :)

19. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Lol sorry to hear, but this made me shake head in "fail" mode.

[​IMG]

20. krravi macrumors 65816

What's 70 dollars before a 2.5k computer? :)

21. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Especially if the keyboard doesn't work. Like mine did.

22. renosausage thread starter macrumors regular

All I need is the plastic caps so there isn't much room for it not to work. Unless the caps are broken. :-/

----------

True, but we are talking about a few plastic caps not replacing the entire keyboard.

23. krravi macrumors 65816

Oh okay. I thought the entire keyboard was kaput due to heat. Still I would take it to the Apple store, once you happen to go their way just to check it didn't damage anything else inside that we can't see.

24. renosausage thread starter macrumors regular

You make a good point!

I did a hardware test and monitored the cooling temperatures. I haven't noticed anything odd, but just in case I probably need to let them check it out.

What could they do to check if something is wrong? Do they have so e sort of system test or do you think they would actually take it part?

25. nizmoz macrumors 65816

That is my point. The sccissor lift mechanism and under the key had multiple revisions and wouldn't work. So good luck to you and hope it works! So I couldn't just swap the keys.

http://www.thebookyard.com/apple_keycaps_clip_select.php?cPath=66_117

Different types and under cap mechanisms. Even though I had the right one for mine, it wouldn't work. The apple store figured that out too which was strange.