I messed up new JB. Is a full restore my only option?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Fish7, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Fish7, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013

Fish7 macrumors newbie

I Jailbroke my iPhone 5 with the new evasi0n jailbreak and everything went smooth. I set the phone up as new and went through the long process of re-installing everything and got all my old settings on the new phone. Set up my email account, etc....

The last piece was trying to get my old SMS text messages on my new phone. This is where I screwed up. I copied the old SMS folder from my iPhone 4S and copied it to my iPhone 5 (via SSH, without backing up my iPhone 5 SMS folder in case it didn't work). Well, it didn't work. I can't send or receive text messages from my iPhone 5 now. Since I didn't save the iPhone 5 SMS folder, I can go back.

Any ideas to solve this without a full restore? I'd hate to go through re-installing everything and messing with all my settings, emails account unless I have no choice.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

2. Demonface macrumors 6502a

Personally I dont think you can save it without doing a restore.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yup, you need a complete redo.

4. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Lesson learned. You'll never modify files without backing up next time.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Do the restore now that its still an option.
    If you wait longer we could see a firmware update and then you're stuck on stock firmware for a long long time;)

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Exactly. May I ask why did you decided to do "Set up as New"?

7. sagar4995 macrumors 6502a

sagar4995

ouch!! messy! you could have simply backed up your 4s to your itunes or icloud and then plugged in your 5 and restored from there. that's what i did when shifting from 4 to 5. and then proceeded to jailbreak... either ways, just do a restore now and you should be fine. g'luck.

8. Fish7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't want any of the old datat from my old phone transfering to my new phone.

I just did a complete rstore and used the retore from backup afterwards this time around. After using this method, I have a little over 3.0GB of data on my new iPhone 5 (iTunes shows this data as "Other"). I didn't have this 3GB of "Other" data when I set the iPhone 5 up as new.

What is the best way to not have this old "Other" data from previous phones when setting up a new one?

I might do it over again if there's a good way to save on this 3GB of "other" data.

Thanks!