I might pull the trigger.. on a Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by suneohair, Jul 2, 2007.

  1. suneohair macrumors 68020

    suneohair

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    #1
    Well, I am getting super impatient. I have a lot of projects backing up that I want to get started on. I don't know if I can hold out.

    Sure I could say I will wait til August, but if nothing happens why buy them when the update is even more imminent!? I know I know, you will wait forever. But I will buy the next mac pro regardless of what is coming next year.

    So yeah, I am really thinking about letting it fly. :(

    Hopefully something happens soon. I really don't want to push it til November.
     
  2. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

    Carl Spackler

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2005
    Location:
    Outer Space
    #2
    I hear you. I'm in the same boat. I sold a fabu G5 desktop with a healthy amount of RAM and drive space before the resale value went down too much. I'm running with a couple of hand-me-downs right now.

    With all the positive reviews of Clovertown and more and more news of Pro apps and Leopard properly utilizing multi-core processors, I find it difficult to buy now, but the urge is there.

    I don't really care about waiting for Leopard, and I'm not so sure we'll see octos across the board, but I would like to see Clovertown in the low and mid offering.
     
  3. SolidShadow macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Location:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    #3
    I've been reading this site for years but never had the urge to actually join until now. Frankly I almost didn't join because of all the flaming back and fourth about Mac Pro updates and wether to wait or not. I'm still not sure if it's a good idea.
    But here I am.

    I too am thinking about purchasing a Mac Pro to replace the only computer I currently have. A Blue and White G3, 350 mhz with 17" (16" viewable) monitor. I've decided to wait one more month just in case the intel price drop translates into something for us Mac users. But I admit it's a little agonizing to wait considering I have Adobe CS3 right here on my desk waiting to be installed and explored.

    When I purchased my G3 it was a scant few months before the G4 was released with Altvec and better video cards. It wasn't a big deal at the time and I've gotten a decent 7 years out of my machine. But I feel if I can wait just a month or so this time for the chance of new vid cards and slight bumps in RAM etc, it'll make my money stretch just a little farther.

    I know there's always something new in the pipeline and normally I don't let that bug me but I figure waiting one more month will allow me to save a little more which will increase the value of my purchase regardless.

    Anyway sorry for my first post sounding like an AA meeting but it was nice to type my current thoughts out anyway.
     
  4. Kashchei macrumors 65816

    Kashchei

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2002
    Location:
    Meat Space
    #4
    I'm getting my ducks in a row so that I can pull the trigger on a new MacPro once they are updated. I have a dual G4 500 Mhz PowerMac to sell; I'm just not sure how to sell it. I've heard that Amazon has a computer resale, although I haven't found it. Does anyone have a suggestion for the best place to sell a used computer?
     
  5. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

    suneohair

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    #5
    I understand you guys. The flamers will be here soon...

    I think an all octo line is likely only because of the prices. I would think Apple would want to take it all octo, it looks good. But who knows.

    Of course it wouldn't be so hard to wait if we knew exactly when. But of course we don't. I am going to try hard to hold out. And as you said, you get to save more money. Maybe I will spring for the better video card even though I wouldn't need it or maybe more RAM.

    Kashchei:
    Try eBay or craigslist, or even here when the time comes. I don't know how amazon is, I wouldn't use it though.
     
  6. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

    Sean Dempsey

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2006
    #6
    If it makes any of you feel better, I bought a Mac Pro the day it was released, and canceled the order before it shipped. I wanted to "wait a while" and see what happens, see if Adobe came out with a CS3 that runs on intels.


    So now it's a year later. I was still "waiting" even though CS3 had come out a few weeks ago and everything was great.

    I stopped waiting. I have a Mac Pro on it's way, and this time I won't be canceling the order before it ships.

    Thinking back... why did I go that whole year without a Mac Pro?

    I need a computer. I need a Mac Pro. Yesterday morning was the right time for me to just buy.

    I just figure, ANY Mac Pro you buy, you're going to have it for what, 4-5 years comfortably? Do you want it from mid 2007 to mid 2012, or mid 2008 to mid 2013.

    Quad core, Octo Core, Gagillion Core... it all will even out in the end when steve Jobs announces OSXIV running on the new Mac Pro Version 7 in the year 2015. I just couldn't run my business of a pentium 4 any longer.
     
  7. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

    suneohair

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    #7
    That is completely understandable Sean. And kudos to you for pulling the trigger. I had a Mac Pro for some time as well.

    For me, I just can't bring myself to buy when the Mac Pro hasn't been changed in a year. I want to buy trust, I know that even today it is a great Mac. I can afford to wait a bit, so I figured I would.

    Everyday I just want to buy. I ask myself:
    "Do I need to wait?"
    "I don't play games..."
    "Everything in it today is great..."

    Then I think.
    "It could go octo or at the least I get a faster CPU"
    "I could get a better card than the one that comes stock today"
    "I could get more RAM"
    etc etc etc.

    There are some many things that could happen. If this was 4 or 6 months ago I would have done it. It is all this movement in the market combined with the lack of updates over the last year that draws me back into the waiting game.

    And while I don't "need" those things I could get. I wouldn't be too happy if I bought and a week later they update. That is more likely to happen at this stage in the game as opposed to 6 or even 4 months ago.

    Kudos to you again. You will love it.
     
  8. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2007
    #8
    I waited until WDCC... and when no announcement were made... I decided that no mid-tower version was coming soon... so I went down to the mall and walked out with a base MacPro.... added 800 gig of HD [$350], Parallels to run XP [got to stay compaitible with the office].... and will soon add a few gig more Ram [Crucial? OWC? dunno yet]


    Currently....
    MacPro 2.66ghz 1gig Ram 1.05 Terabyte HD
     
  9. flappo macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2003
    Location:
    in the cubicles
    #9
    let's face it , the pro is a pretty awesome bit of kit no matter how you look at it

    what can they upgrade that would make the current model obsolete ?

    maybe it'll be 20% faster on certain benchmarks OR have a better video card as standard

    but - it's not as if the current model is a slouch ...

    if i had the dough - i'd buy one yesterday

    :)
     
  10. Topper macrumors 65816

    Topper

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2007
    #10
    You are caught between a rock and a hard place, aren't you?!

    If the Mac Pro already has everything you need then maybe you should buy it now.

    How long can you afford to wait?
    Do you need the next generation Mac Pro just to be ahead of the game?
    Is the computer you are running now good enough so you can hold off a little longer?
    How long can you hold off?
    Can you wait until the end of August and if the new Mac Pro isn't out, then buy?
    Some people think the Mac Pro will be updated in July/August, some think it will be at the end of the year. I'm picking November.

    p.s. I just noticed that I'm no longer a newbie. Yea!
     
  11. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

    suneohair

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    #11
    Trust me, I ask myself those questions everyday. And to be honest, I just don't know.

    To be truthful, I have no computer now except for work computers.

    If I wait til August and nothing happens I would be more inclined to wait until they do update. Simply because the update would be more imminent. I am just going to wait as long as I can, which most likely net me a updated Mac Pro.

    I don't think it will be November for the update. I think it will be sooner, but of course I don't know. I don't think we can base it on when Tyan thinks they can get a Stoakley board out, which is what I think you are basing this on.

    Seriously it is, I buy today or I wait.
     
  12. Topper macrumors 65816

    Topper

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2007
    #12
    I go month to month thinking the same thing.
    Now I've resigned myself to November.

    I admit I'm picking November because of Tyan.
    After researching, that's the best I could come up with.
     
  13. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

    suneohair

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    #13
    Understandable. I just hope Apple makes a move sooner. Before or around Leopard would be great, before being better of course. It is really about that time. November isn't that far really. But we will see.
     
  14. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2007
    #14
    And the sooner you get a MacPro.. the sooner you will have MacEnforcer off you back for not owning one :)
     
  15. SolidShadow macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Location:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    #15
    I don't think I'll wait until November. I really can't afford to. Another month is fine though.

    A lot of people use the slippery slope fallacy to claim that if you're going to wait you might as well wait forever because new hardware is always around the corner. There is no real practical validity in this argument. It's just used to annoy in my opinion. The real desire to purchase is obviously there but the time for them in particular is just not right.

    The current Mac Pro is an awesome machine. I think someone would be a little foolish to say otherwise. For me it's just a desire to purchase within the first three or so months after an update so I feel I'm getting my full money's worth for current hardware value when I pull the trigger. I only buy once every 7 or so years after all. If I can get more cores or more RAM in my purchase, all the better.
     
  16. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

    suneohair

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    #16
    This is true. :D
     
  17. fredr500 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2007
    #17
    Same boat - but with an end date

    I'm in the same boat, want, no, need a mac pro, waited for WWDC, and am still waiting.

    But I have an end date. September 16. That's when the iPod and the Adobe promotions end. The way I see it the savings are substantial enough that I have to buy before then.

    So the question is, what can I reasonable expect to happen between now and then?

    Thanks
    Fred
     
  18. -hh macrumors 68020

    -hh

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2001
    Location:
    NJ Highlands, Earth
    #18
    Sept 16th?

    Well, Apple does have some history of allowing all hardware sales that occur X Days before a major OS update to get a free copy - my recollections are that its usually around 30 days out?

    As such, you might be cornered into a "$ for Leopard vs $ for iPod" decision, if Apple arranges the dates with no overlap.

    Overall, while I also yet to avoid the "wait forever" routine, I do think that both the iPod and Mac Pro are due for updates, so I'd try to make sure that any discounts provide parody.


    Also waiting on the Pro, as my 2004 G5 needs more RAM & HD.


    -hh
     
  19. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

    Sean Dempsey

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2006
    #19
    I definitley know I could have waited for the next Mac Pro release and gotten some more bang for my future-buck, but at the same time, the jump from a "Pentium 4 2.8ghz windows XP" machine I built in 2004 to a "July 2007 Mac Pro quad 2.66 5gigs ram" is so colossal, I don't think I'll be feeling any grief in Q4 of 2007 when the next Mac Pro revision gets rolled out.

    I do feel the struggle of people with a decent machine, maybe a G5 or few year old iMac, not knowing if they should wait.
     
  20. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

    Wild-Bill

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    Location:
    bleep
    #20
    DON'T DO IT suneohair!!!!!

    I'm right there with ya buddy! As you know, I'm usually Heckyl to your Jeckyl in the Mac Pro forum, and we've been backing each other up against the flamers.

    It's getting hard for me to wait as well, but I keep telling myself it's foolish to pay 2006 prices for 2006 parts. For me, it's mostly about the video card, because I know there are several other newer options out there that cost the same amount Apple charges for an x1900. Heck, Apple charges $149 for a 7300GT which can be had for HALF that price.

    I'm waiting until August. I've got a lot of music I need to finish and my Powerbook really can't keep up with all the effects I use in Logic, even after locking individual tracks.

    At any rate, I am hoping we will see SOMETHING by August, even if it is just price drops. With the Intel price drops coming at the end of the month, I don't see how Apple can't make some adjustments. (well, actually I can...:( )

    Hang in there suneohair. I'm right there with ya!
     
  21. slughead macrumors 68040

    slughead

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2004
    #21
    NO ! DON'T DO IT SUNEOHAIR!

    It'll be worth it! Just wait!

    Don't let macenforcer win!

    I'm too god damned emotionally involved to let this happen.
     
  22. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

    suneohair

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    #22
    I am hanging in! It just sucks. Come on Apple! Tomorrow is Tuesday!

    August here we come.
     
  23. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

    dartzorichalcos

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2007
    Location:
    Atlantis
    #23
    I agree. I would like to see an updated Mac Pro. Like 8-cores all across, ATI Radeon HD X2900 XT or nVidia GeForce 8800GTX option (nVidia GeForce 8300GT standard), 500GB hard drive standard, 2GB standard and Leopard installed. That machine will be worth the money.
     
  24. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

    Glenn Wolsey

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2005
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #24
    I too was sick and tired of waiting and pulled the trigged the other day, should be here in 8 days now! Getting excited.

    Specs are below.
     
  25. Topper macrumors 65816

    Topper

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2007
    #25
    You've got a very, very nice computer.
    I'd kill for that 30" Apple Cinema Display.
     

Share This Page