Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
I miss cheap gas. Today many things went wrong and have set a depression in, and the only thing that has really ever just solved this depression was the days of being able to drive a whole tank screaming wonderful lyrics of sorrow. With gas where I am sitting at 3.20 however I am no longer able to do such a drive.

Now I know I could go listen to music on my laptop or do something of that sort, but there is nothing like that beautiful feeling of going 75 down a 55 and the bass banging the pain out of your heart.

Anyone else feel that way?

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Well, I may not be able to drive yet, but that doesn't mean I don't pay attention to gas prices.:)

Yeah, cheap gas was great.

But I'm waiting for hydrogen powered vehicles to be mass produced.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Sorry for Double Post

I watched a lady today bang upon a door like a grizzly bear protecting her cubs from hunters. She pounded screaming and crying. A deep voice yelled back for her to go home. She pleaded to be let in. The door never budged... She screamed at him "How could you be sleeping with her" among other things. She grew silent after wearing herself out. She sat down against the door and began to weep. Her hands covered her face hiding her humiliation. She grew some strength and stood up to the towering white door. Pounding again she began to ramble questions of her lovers fidelities. A womans voice came stinging out from behind the door "Yeah bitch I'm pregnant to. So leave bitch." She paused for a moment catching her pain inside her throat. "Please just let me have my stuff. I just want my stuff so I can leave. Please..." The tears fell crashing to the floor. She stood in her sorrow waiting for her gold purse and cell phone. A few minutes later a door mad an echoing clicking sound. The door slid open a few inches, revealing a hand with a gold purse (the cell phone was inside). The door slammed leaving the woman hollow, in the lonely hallway. She quietly exited the apartment building.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I watched a lady today bang upon a door like a grizzly bear protecting her cubs from hunters. She pounded screaming and crying. A deep voice yelled back for her to go home. She pleaded to be let in. The door never budged... She screamed at him "How could you be sleeping with her" among other things. She grew silent after wearing herself out. She sat down against the door and began to weep. Her hands covered her face hiding her humiliation. She grew some strength and stood up to the towering white door. Pounding again she began to ramble questions of her lovers fidelities. A womans voice came stinging out from behind the door "Yeah bitch I'm pregnant to. So leave bitch." She paused for a moment catching her pain inside her throat. "Please just let me have my stuff. I just want my stuff so I can leave. Please..." The tears fell crashing to the floor. She stood in her sorrow waiting for her gold purse and cell phone. A few minutes later a door mad an echoing clicking sound. The door slid open a few inches, revealing a hand with a gold purse (the cell phone was inside). The door slammed leaving the woman hollow, in the lonely hallway. She quietly exited the apartment building.
Wow, that's just... wow. I don't even know what to say. :eek:

That sounds like a scene from a soap opera or movie ...it's just unreal.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Wow, that's just... wow. I don't even know what to say. :eek:

That sounds like a scene from a soap opera or movie ...it's just unreal.

Tell me about it... I couldn't stop watching and it just kept stabbing a dagger in to my heart as I watched her heart shatter...

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
I feel your pain. I have had to park my baby (a '66 Pontiac Lemans 4-dr hardtop with a 389) for over a year because of gas prices.

Runs on 93 octane. 22 1/2 gallon tank. 13mpg when I am being "nice" in it and < 11mpg when I drive it as I enjoy most. :(

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
With gas where I am sitting at 3.20 however I am no longer able to do such a drive.

Anyone else feel that way?
Mm hmm. Gas ain't cheap 'round here.

I think this map indicates average price for regular unleaded fuel, i.e the cheapest grade.

Picture 3.png

My car requires premium unleaded. A listing of the cheapest ones 'round here...

Picture 2.png

antonwalker

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
Well, I may not be able to drive yet, but that doesn't mean I don't pay attention to gas prices.:)

Yeah, cheap gas was great.

But I'm waiting for hydrogen powered vehicles to be mass produced.

But it takes power to make hydrogen fuel, unless they have improved A LOT, hydrogen is not the way to go. It will make us less dependent on oil companies, but I don't think it will work that well to make use less dependet on energy in general. Water powered cares are the future ( a long time in the future).:(

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Was that an unsolicited poke at my car?

No. It was an unsolicited poke at those that think their personal 'right' to a cheap, subsidised fuel with a limited and dwindling supply outweighs the need for an uncontaminated atmosphere for the rest of us... for all of us.

But, since you asked, I'm glad your ancient pre-catalytic car is on blocks, metaphorical or otherwise.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
But, since you asked, I'm glad your ancient pre-catalytic car is on blocks, metaphorical or otherwise.
I was going to send you a private message, but they are blocked/not allowed. Since that is the case I will respond here:

My car is no worse than a SUV. It passes my states emission guidelines with no problems, catalytic converter or no. If it could run on a alternative fuel I would be more than happy to use it, but alas, it does not.

Looks like it will be pulled out of the garage this week, you know, because of the weather getting nice and all...

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
No. It was an unsolicited poke at those that think their personal 'right' to a cheap, subsidised fuel with a limited and dwindling supply outweighs the need for an uncontaminated atmosphere for the rest of us... for all of us.

I get what you are saying, but that is not what we are talking about. There are many threads on here about conserving gas and all that stuff if you'd like to share your thoughts there.

This thread is more to find people who miss cheap gas so they could cruise in there car and be lost in the music when things start adding up.

DZ/015

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2003
New England
Damned if I don't miss cheap gas also. I remember nearly filling a gallon jug for $0.25. I could ride my mini bike all day.

I used to buy gas for my car at $0.75 per gallon. Those were the days.

furious

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
Australia
But it takes power to make hydrogen fuel, unless they have improved A LOT, hydrogen is not the way to go. It will make us less dependent on oil companies, but I don't think it will work that well to make use less dependet on energy in general. Water powered cares are the future ( a long time in the future).:(

There is only one realistic source of hydrogen on earth and that is crude oil. Now if we need to use crude oil to produce hydrogen it will be a waste. What I would like to see is that we use crude oil to make plastics. That way crude oil will be semi-renewable. Meaning that we can recycle the plastic (which we currently have/made) and only need the oil to make new plastic.

Now if we really want hydrogen the only pure source is the sun. Good luck. Another is the atmosphere of Jupiter. Have fun.

furious

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
Australia
I was going to send you a private message, but they are blocked/not allowed. Since that is the case I will respond here:

My car is no worse than a SUV. It passes my states emission guidelines with no problems, catalytic converter or no. If it could run on a alternative fuel I would be more than happy to use it, but alas, it does not.

Looks like it will be pulled out of the garage this week, you know, because of the weather getting nice and all...

You could run your car on an ethanol blend. They have higher octane. Like a premium unleaded. Now I live in Australia and ethanol blends are cheaper what are they like in the USA?

Ethanol is only an alcohol. Two types of alcohol methanol and ethanol. Methanol is known as wood alcohol. Ethanol is known as grain alcohol. Look up the Wiki.

RojoLeo

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2007
Austin, TX
Damned if I don't miss cheap gas also. I remember nearly filling a gallon jug for $0.25. I could ride my mini bike all day.

I used to buy gas for my car at $0.75 per gallon. Those were the days.

I was filling up at $.90 per gallon as little as 7 years ago. When the prices peaked last year it was 4 times that in my neck of the woods. Wow.

$20 used to last me a long time in my '77 Camaro (8-12 mpg), I switched to a BMW when the prices started to get high (30 mpg).

As for music when driving, I find Chill on Sirius to be extremely relaxing, but of course I've always got that custom "Road Rage" CD handy. ;)

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Gas will be cheap again one day. All we need to do is kill off the five billion other humans and the Earth's entire resources will be ours once more.

All we need to do is synthesise a deadly virus that only effects people not living in Europe or North America (but it can kill the Aussies, more Gold medals for us that way), and you'll be able to drive your car to your heart's content :)

Or maybe instead we could form an über-pressure group and force our Governments to kick out the oil lobby and put some real rather than token effort into finding alternative energy sources.

Just a thought.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
You could run your car on an ethanol blend. They have higher octane. Like a premium unleaded. Now I live in Australia and ethanol blends are cheaper what are they like in the USA?
We can normally get the e10 (10% ethanol) stuff at most gas stations, and of course e85.

The e10 causes the engine to begin spark knocking, but that might be the fuel injection system getting used to it, as I haven't tried it again since.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Gas will be cheap again one day. All we need to do is kill off the five billion other humans and the Earth's entire resources will be ours once more.

All we need to do is synthesise a deadly virus that only effects people not living in Europe or North America (but it can kill the Aussies, more Gold medals for us that way), and you'll be able to drive your car to your heart's content :)

Or maybe instead we could form an über-pressure group and force our Governments to kick out the oil lobby and put some real rather than token effort into finding alternative energy sources.

Just a thought.
I choose option 2. :)

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder

Moving people takes work, work requires energy. Moving me in my car takes energy, no matter what fuel powers it.

If that seems incoherent, it's because I'm drunk. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.