Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
My G5 tower was the only true lemon I personally bought from Apple. The final rev before the intel machines. All of our office machines were the same revision. All of them failed within the same one month time frame one month past Apple care warranty.

I don't miss my hot, loud, slow G5 when my MBPro crushes it.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
The one Apple computer that made me the happiest is my first gen Mac Pro. I got it in 2006 and I still have it. It still handles anything I throw at it and it's faster now than it came. It's still a very capable machine. I know it's getting old now and newer computers are far better, but I don't see myself getting rid of it any time soon. I also have a MacBook Pro for putting around the house, but I'd rather use my Mac Pro any time. I also got the Apple Cinema Display for it as well.

I know that if I ever get rid of it, I will miss it, so my plan is to not get rid of it.

If I were you, I would have kept the G5.

Daphtdazz

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2007
Oxford
I really miss my TiBook 550 G4. I still think the TiBook was the best looking computer Apple ever designed.

Sure, the reason it is in pieces in my drawer is because both hinges snapped (I did drop it twice, I guess), the really really really crappy Matshita (I always thought that was a telling name) DVD/CD-RW drive stopped working and I finally killed the rest by taking it to pieces (for fun) to see if I could make a corkboard computer from it, but nevertheless it was great in its time and served me very well for 5 and a half years. I still remember seeing the first advert for it in the cinema, (I was about 13) and it just blowing me away. I don't think I can even remember what film it was. Nor do I care!

Got an alu iMac now, which is wonderful, but I need something portable as well, really, not a full fledged laptop, but something more significant than an iPhone... Any ideas, anyone?

Quad 2.5 G5 =)

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2009
The one Apple computer that made me the happiest is my first gen Mac Pro. I got it in 2006 and I still have it. It still handles anything I throw at it and it's faster now than it came. It's still a very capable machine. I know it's getting old now and newer computers are far better, but I don't see myself getting rid of it any time soon. I also have a MacBook Pro for putting around the house, but I'd rather use my Mac Pro any time. I also got the Apple Cinema Display for it as well.

I know that if I ever get rid of it, I will miss it, so my plan is to not get rid of it.

If I were you, I would have kept the G5.

I now have (another) PowerBook G4 17", and it is permanently going to stay in my bag to take places :)
I don't care if it's slow..but it sure does look good.

Quad 2.5 G5 =)

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2009
I really miss my TiBook 550 G4. I still think the TiBook was the best looking computer Apple ever designed.

Sure, the reason it is in pieces in my drawer is because both hinges snapped (I did drop it twice, I guess), the really really really crappy Matshita (I always thought that was a telling name) DVD/CD-RW drive stopped working and I finally killed the rest by taking it to pieces (for fun) to see if I could make a corkboard computer from it, but nevertheless it was great in its time and served me very well for 5 and a half years. I still remember seeing the first advert for it in the cinema, (I was about 13) and it just blowing me away. I don't think I can even remember what film it was. Nor do I care!

Got an alu iMac now, which is wonderful, but I need something portable as well, really, not a full fledged laptop, but something more significant than an iPhone... Any ideas, anyone?

I'd look for a PowerBook G4 as a netbook. It isn't as powerful as the newest tech, but some of them, especially the last revisions, are somewhat decent to use as a netbook, and the pricing of them is approximately $300 (12"), $400 (15"), and $550 (17"), on Ebay. Picking up more RAM for it, and, if the need calls for it, a bigger HD, or SSD, wouldn't cost too much, and you'd have a nice little thing to carry around wherever. If you don't want to spend too much on a PowerBook, iBooks are going for $230 (12"), and $350 (14")

Daphtdazz

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2007
Oxford
I'd look for a PowerBook G4 as a netbook.

Thanks for the advice, and for a while I was thinking about getting such a thing. In fact I was considering just buying exactly (maybe the 667 version, or even 1GHz DVi thing) the same computer off of eBay. I know I'd be able to do that for under £200 (which is about $200 at the moment I think!). Then I'd be able to play all my classic games on it again! Well, Civ2, at least...

However, my question wasn't entirely serious, as of course the iPad fits my description quite nicely... :D

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I've owned a handful of G5 PMs and they are really great machines.

Maxed ram and better video cards on them rate them up there with any new mac, imho.

Outside of the age of these computers, anyone still running them needs to keep in mind how finicky they are with hard drives; a failing drive or a slightly wrongly formatted drive would make my Powermac G5s go nuts.

Great machines. Beautiful, too.

Afriendsfriend

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
My old G4 PowerBook 15". That machine did everything from 2003 til 2009, upgraded to the max I could(HDD and RAM);it also looked so much more like a true Mac than these new MacBook Pros (like the one I am using right now).
Guys say what you want but these new laptops (except for the Apple logo)still looks too much like a Sony or Dell to me. :( I really Hope that the new upcoming design will be a little more unique.

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Mac IIsi. Awesome powerhouse with a math coprocessor installed.

Right there with you! IIsi was my first computer (love), too.

I do miss my dual 1.8ghz G5 as well...even though I've moved on from Macs to a Thinkpad, I'd love to have it back to run PPC Linux on.

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
First mac I had ever got was an iMac G3 Bondi Blue. I was probably 10 at the time, and I saw the imac in a friends closet. I asked if I could have it, and they said "sure, take it", I was so excited. I got the imac home, booted up OS X 10.1, and I immediately fell in love with OS X. Then, two days later the hard drive died, it was put in my closet for a few years. I got around to installing a hard drive a while ago, the graphics chip went after a week, the thing was worthless at this point. I decided to throw it away, but someone else took the computer from the end of my driveway.

So, if you live in NJ, and you've picked up a bondi blue imac from a driveway (pt. pleasant area) with a stripped & unthreaded screw on the motherboard, it's mine ;)

Ukrainian

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
I miss my Powerbook G5. I got it as a gift, together with an iSight camera. I still have the iSight camera, I never used it.

crazyrog17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Michigan
I miss my Powerbook G5. I got it as a gift, together with an iSight camera. I still have the iSight camera, I never used it.

They never made a PowerBook G5... =( Unless you're joking about that prototype MacBook Pro that was labeled as a PowerBook...?

Love

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2007
Just southeast of Northwestshire
I miss both of my aluminum PowerBooks.

My PowerBook was dropped on to a tile floor after I was carrying it in from use and my ******* brother bumped me, completely on purpose. It fell and hit the tile. The bottom right corner pretty much crushed. It had managed to f*ck up the SuperDrive, and after $500 of repairs (they didn't replace the case, but because of some handy Apple techs, it looked like it never happened). It was always a stunning machine. It was a 12 inch one, it was just great.

My 15" PowerBook is possibly the best computer I've owned. It was quiet, cool, and ran pretty much everything under Leopard better than my MacBook did on either Leopard or Snow Leopard. Twas that good.

But next week, the Mac Pro comes. and all shall be well.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
My PowerBook was dropped on to a tile floor after I was carrying it in from use and my ******* brother bumped me, completely on purpose. It fell and hit the tile. The bottom right corner pretty much crushed. It had managed to f*ck up the SuperDrive, and after $500 of repairs (they didn't replace the case, but because of some handy Apple techs, it looked like it never happened). It was always a stunning machine. It was a 12 inch one, it was just great.

I hope your brother paid for that. Thats just cold man :(

rdp5008

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2006
Florida
I miss my 1.6 GHz G5, but I am getting it back out of storage in a few months. Going to try to use her as my full time home machine again.

crazyrog17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Michigan
Allow me to first say... I am EXTREMELY excited about this.....

I just nabbed a Dual Core 2.0GHz G5 WITH Airport and Bluetooth! AND a 250GB Hard Drive! AND 2GB of RAM (might be more, I should've checked About This Mac before the 10.5 install started)!

I know I'd be excited to get this baby at a decent price of $550 or even $600 but would you believe me when I tell you that I got it for

$150! :eek:

Yes! $150! :eek:

Ahhh craigslist. And people not knowing what exactly they're selling. And my audacity to go figure out what it is. And my haggling skills to let it go for dirt cheap... Oh, what a world!

At this second, 10.5 (Leopard) is finishing installing!

I'll report back later, but I'm just going to bask in this glory.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I bought a non-working Quad and after fiddling with it, one of the processors died in it. NO Leaks either so it's a dry system. I removed the bad one and swapped the good CPU to the top slot(G5s will only boot if a good processor is in slot A, top). I ordered a Quad CPU on ebay for $59 so I'm hoping at least one of the CPUs are good as I ordered it for parts. It's still a great machine tho as a dual-core 2.5ghz :D It came with 8gb DDR2 ECC and the Airport/Bluetooth card and 7800GT graphics.

I got rid of my 2.3 dual-core at the beginning of the year for my Mini and even tho the Mini is probably as fast, it just wasn't the same. Now I got the Mini and Quad :D

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
It's amazing how well they keep their value. On eBay, Quads still go for over $800. I still want one, but I will not pay anything over $400.

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
I still have my most nostalgic unit, but I may sell it and spend 50 bucks extra and get one without a dent in the bottom. Sure it wouldn't be my unit, but I'd love it anyway. I may get a G5 tower next year though as the G4 is starting to feel a little bit slow, but faster than many of the netbooks I've tried and has all the features I need.

crazyrog17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Michigan
got to say I hate the G5 when every time I watch a youtube clip the thing sounds like it is going to take off.

Install the new flashplayer 10.1 (came out of beta a few weeks ago)

I can comfortably watch 720p flash videos now, where before they would stutter and freeze a frame for 2 seconds while the audio continued. At that rate, it handles standard definition YouTube videos with ease.

lPHONE

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
I got a 16GB Dual 2.3GHz that I use it for music production. I got it for $500 and that was 3 years ago when prices were steeper. :D

I won't miss it because I'm not selling it. It runs Pro Tools 7 flawlessly and as long as I don't upgrade my software the hardware will continue to rock. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.