I misused the word lovely, now things are awkward

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ThatiPhoneKid, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThatiPhoneKid macrumors 6502

Ok so today I’m shopping in my super market and I get to the checkout and forget to get baked beans so I asked the lady on the checkout if she could get someone to get me the baked beans, a women gets the baked beans and brings them to me and I say “lovely, thank you.” Then I say “lovely” again which to me means great but I have a feeling this women things I fancy her now just by the face she pulled, do you think she thinks I am wierd or totally in love with her or will she just think nothing of it?

2. 0002378 Suspended

Well, first question I have for you is - was she lovely (attractive) ?

If she does think you fancy her, is that such a bad thing ?

3. ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502

I never meant it as in she’s lovely I just said lovely, thank you. Lovely. Just worried she will start thinking I fancy her because I really don’t lol thanks for the reply man

It would be a bad thing if she thinks I fancy her because I know her boyfriend and he is notorious for getting in to fights

4. 0002378 Suspended

I know you didn't mean it, but the question still stands - is she lovely or not ?

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

So are things actually awkward in some way? Or you simply think that they might be based on your feeling of how you are recalling that interaction?

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

It’s fine (and healthy) to consider how your interactions with people may have been interpreted in ways that you did not intend, and to try to learn something about that for the future.

However, I think you’re over analyzing and over worried. You should forget about it.

7. laptech macrumors regular

laptech

You must be a very self conscious person to be worried about such a thing. The majority of us would just ignore the pulled facial expression and get on with our lives.

8. AmazingRobie macrumors 6502

AmazingRobie

You cant misuse the word 'lovely'. Its just that kind of a word, like 'fantastic'. It doesnt really matter what the woman at the counter thinks or anyone else thinks of your vocabulary, just feel free to use it in every situation you feel is relevant, sarcastic, complementary or otherwise.

9. Krayzkat macrumors 6502a

Krayzkat

She’s probably thinking you are quite camp, saying lovely all the time.

Next time call everyone ‘darling’ while pouting your lips.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

All of that made me think of this:

11. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

Yup, just send her an accidental text on purpose.

12. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

13. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Reminds me of a friend of mine (who was a long time singleton at the time), who was convinced the bar maid at our regular pub fancied him.
    To be frank she was well out of his league, and just a friendly person to the customers.

To the OP my advice is don't give it a second thought. I'm sure she hasn't!

14. ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all your replies guys, I have a girlfriend and am not attracted to this women but I just got worried because one of my male friends said lovely thanks to another man once when he got him something and he got the wrong idea and I just don’t want this women to get the wrong idea, thanks.

I wasn’t calling her lovely either I was just saying lovely as in great, thanks, wished I would have just said great now lol

15. RedKite macrumors regular

RedKite

16. ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502

To you does lovely mean great day if someone said lovely, thank you! When you gave them something would you think they fancy you or just being nice ?

17. RedKite macrumors regular

RedKite

I grew up in the US but moved to U.K. when I was 20. Here it’s just part of the dialect so I guess it depends where you’re from.

18. ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502

I’m from uk also I just like saying lovely lol, if someone gave me a pen in school I’d go lovely, thanks even if they was a boy because to me that’s a nice way of saying great thanks, I wasn’t worried then that everyone would think I fancy them, just think I’m being silly, thanks for your reply

19. RedKite macrumors regular

RedKite

Then all is well! Good luck on your adventure.

20. ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks !
    --- Post Merged, Jan 13, 2018 ---
    Or should I say, lovely, thanks haha

21. Krayzkat macrumors 6502a

Krayzkat

Just keep saying lovely all the time but add in a “jubbly” afterwards.

22. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Lol. I always used to throw this phrase in when talking to one of my Spanish colleagues who was always very confused!

23. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Good thing you didn't say "brilliant" or she would have thought you considered her smart!

24. ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol this is funny, so do you guys think she just thinks nothing of it or does she think I fancy her or is it common for people to say “ ah lovely, thank you” when someone does something nice for you, i just thought I was being polite

25. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Just let it go and don't obsess about it
    If you continually make it awkward around her the next few times you see her by over analyzing what she is thinking... that is when she will think you fancy her
    If you are just casual and indifferent around her, she will know you don't and not even give it a thought

I don't think it is an issue now... but you can make it an issue going forward by your obsessive behavior

Unless she fancies you and was looking for the slightest clue or a sign that you had feelings too LOL
    Then you are screwed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.