Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
do you think she thinks I am wierd or totally in love with her or will she just think nothing of it?
Honestly, why does it matter? Isn't she just some random person? Who cares what she thinks. You've done nothing wrong.

Last edited:

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
Honestly, why does it matter? Isn't she just some random person? Who cares what she thinks. You've done nothing wrong.

Tbh sometimes I go shopping with my girlfriend and I know this sounds really paranoid but I hope she doesn’t say to my gf that she thinks I fancy her, think I’m being a little obsessive now though

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ok so today I’m shopping in my super market and I get to the checkout and forget to get baked beans so I asked the lady on the checkout if she could get someone to get me the baked beans, a women gets the baked beans and brings them to me and I say “lovely, thank you.” Then I say “lovely” again which to me means great but I have a feeling this women things I fancy her now just by the face she pulled, do you think she thinks I am wierd or totally in love with her or will she just think nothing of it?
Don’t worry about it. The next time you encounter her, you will reinforce the neutrality of your position as long as you don’t call her lovely again. ;) :D Seriously, based on your description, I would not say you misused lovely, although saying it a second time, alone while looking at someone might be misinterpreted. If it’s considered a compliment, no harm done. :)

[doublepost=1515853365][/doublepost]
She’s probably thinking you are quite camp, saying lovely all the time.

Next time call everyone ‘darling’ while pouting your lips.
Now that’s funny and makes me wonder what region the OP lives in, probably not down South where strangers will call you darling and sweety. :)

Last edited:

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Don’t worry about it. The next time you encounter her, you will reinforce the neutrality of your position as long as you don’t call her lovely again. ;) :D Seriously, based on your description, I would not say you misused lovely.
Now that’s funny and makes me wonder what region the OP lives in, probably not down South where strangers will call you darling and sweety. :)

Yep, down south those Cracker Barrel and Waffle House servers must be totally in love with everybody!

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
Don’t worry about it. The next time you encounter her, you will reinforce the neutrality of your position as long as you don’t call her lovely again. ;) :D
Thanks for your reply, I live down south haha, I never called her lovely, she basically got me the baked beans and when she gave them to me I said “ah lovely, thank you, lovely.” Which basically to me means ah great, thank you, that’s great. That’s the thing really I didn’t call her lovely, do you think it sounds like I called her lovely?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thanks for your reply, I live down south haha, I never called her lovely, she basically got me the baked beans and when she gave them to me I said “ah lovely, thank you, lovely.” Which basically to me means ah great, thank you, that’s great. That’s the thing really I didn’t call her lovely, do you think it sounds like I called her lovely?

My comment included a “;)” followed by a “:D” which means I was kidding you. Emoticons do have a purpose. :)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I'm concerned about the same thing that happened at my grocery: I was in the check out line, managed to pick an item that didn't have a scannable barcode, so the cashier ran and grabbed a properly marked item, scanned it for me.

I said, "Thanks, that was so hot and sexy of you".

Trying to figure out if that was appropriate.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm concerned about the same thing that happened at my grocery: I was in the check out line, managed to pick an item that didn't have a scannable barcode, so the cashier ran and grabbed a properly marked item, scanned it for me.

I said, "Thanks, that was so hot and sexy of you".

Trying to figure out if that was appropriate.
But what you really said was lovely! :p

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
But what you really said was lovely! :p
Exactly!

Happens all the time.

I say… "That'd be lovely" and apparently they hear… "Thanks, that was so hot and sexy of you".

Oh, heavens @ThatiPhoneKid you really do over think things far too much.
Do you have professional help with this issue? That is not snarkily meant at all. Just, judging by your threads here at MacRumors, you really do seem to be in need of some mental counselling.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I love - all puns intended - how men assume attraction from a simple pleasant encounter in a coffee shop or checkout. No, she is not attracted to you.
I mean, she might be. There's nothing to indicate she is but there's also no way for us to know for certain... it's even possible she thinks the OP fancies her based on their interaction and nonverbal communication. That would be mostly on her, and certainly nothing for the OP to worry about, but it's not exactly something to rule out. You can't really speak for all other women here.

She probably thought either 1) you were a needy nuisance - after all, you took up extra time, with your request, or demand, that someone fetch your baked beans - you took up more time and attention and resources than other customers - and required special service - or,

2) that you were a condescending, entitled prat. There are many ways of saying thank you, some of which come across as genuinely grateful and respectful, and there are others which come across as entitled, patronising and condescending.

Either way, she probably wished you on your way and away from her till as fast as possible.
That seems pretty mean-spirited.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThatiPhoneKid

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
I can’t help saying lovely really I just say it instead of saying great, do you think this is wierd or fine and do you think everyone I say lovely to instead of saying great will think I’m wierd and or fancy them?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I can’t help saying lovely really I just say it instead of saying great, do you think this is wierd or fine and do you think everyone I say lovely to instead of saying great will think I’m wierd and or fancy them?
I think you are either having fun in this forum, or are obsessing. :D I also believe that if you are serious, saying lovely, every time most people would say great, over using it, puts you in some level of social risk. :p

This is not to say, that saying lovely is a bad thing, but it might be if it’s your universal adjective for anything positive that happens to you, even if you lived in the U.K., where I believe this word is more commonly used than in the States. ;)

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
I think you are either having fun in this forum, or are obsessing. :D I also believe that if you are serious, saying lovely, every time most people would say great, over using it, puts you in some level of social risk. :p

This is not to say, that saying lovely is a bad thing, but it might be if it’s your universal adjective for anything positive that happens to you, even if you lived in the U.K., where I believe this word is more commonly used than in the States. ;)
Thanks for your reply, I am being obsessive I promise you I’m not playing you guys, I appreciate your helpful replies, the thread may be locked

Reactions: Huntn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Closing this down, as it was requested by the OP and it serves no purpose in keeping it open at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.