I need a hobby.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by blairbeckwith, Jun 4, 2008.

1. blairbeckwith macrumors regular

Well, summer is coming up, and another grade comes to a close. Because of this, I'm going to need something to fill my time until Grade 11 starts. I need a hobby. Right now, I got nothing. I spend day in and day out on the computer, and, frankly, I'm sick and tired of it. I need something else to do. I was thinking maybe audiofility (is that a word?), but then I realized I honestly can't tell the difference between my 128 kbps audio versus lossless files. Oh well.

So, basically, I need something. It can have something to do with computers; it just needs to be interesting.

Hobbies I've tried in the past (to no avail) include:

- Painting models
    - Trading cards

Etc. Right now, the only thing I can think of is sneaker collection, as I've always loved shoes. or maybe independent music... But i don't wanna go all emo. Any ideas?

2. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

trying collecting stamps. The new forever ones are great, because they never go out of vogue... If you get bored with your collection in 50 years, you can still use them.

3. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I'm going to be in 11th grade next year to, a few things I'm doing
    -Working
    -Playing CoD4
    -SAT Prep stuff

I guess you could try web design if your into that sort of stuff.

4. blairbeckwith thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, I've dabbled in the stamp thing before, as well. I'm kind of looking for something more... hands on, or something. Something i can *do*, instead of just look at :rolleyes:

Hmm, web design... That's a solid idea. Any more?

5. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

You need to be careful when asking a bunch of geeks for hobby suggestions!!

Seriously though... could you get any inspiration from your friends interests?

If not here is a controversial hobby idea...
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=490985

6. blairbeckwith thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, well, I can't say I'm not a geek... Although, I think I present a different front then the typical geek... I'm a closet geek, lol.

Hmm, Hackintoshs... That's an interesting idea as well... Although, I don't wanna get on Stevie's bad side :rolleyes:

7. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Volunteer, Doofus.

Looks great on your resume, and you might actually help someone less fortunate.

9. blairbeckwith thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, I'm working about 24+ hours a week right now, alongside school, so teh moniez isn't really the issue... In fact, it's the solution. it gives me moeny to pursue hobbies.

And as for volunteering, I'm a relatively active volunteer. Over 40+ hours/year so far throughout grades 7/8/9/10.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Sure, that's what you probably need to graduate, but what about above and beyond the call of duty????

11. blairbeckwith thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, not so. In Ontario, required is only 40 hours over the grades of 9/10/11/12.

12. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Depending on the terrain of your are, mountain biking might not be a bad idea.

Another thing you could do if you felt like being a good person is teaching seniors how to use the computer. (No offense to those of you who know how to use them.)

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Hello??

What about "above and beyond" do you not understand??

Yes, you have your 40 hours. Big deal. So do many others.

But to truly achieve, you have to set a higher mark.

14. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Ack! It's too easy...;)

15. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Why not get into a sport? Depending on the area you live they may be a lot available.

For me it was soccer, then golf and now I'm into swimming. Great for keeping healthy and can clear you mind when things get hard.

16. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Web design is great because people always need web designers. BUT it won't get you away from the computer.

At your age - and I don't mean to be patronizing - forming some good reading habits might be an option.

Guitar? Some musical instrument? You may think you have a tin ear, but that's just because you've never taken the time. It's all to do with training, not some magical innate ability.

17. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I know what you mean - I used to be quite into stamps. I've got the WWII 50th anniversary booklets, lots of other neat ones too -but they just sit on the page and do nothing... I mean, if they started doing something on their own I'd freak out, but I know what you mean.

As a hobby, I can see where this would be enjoyable. As long as you don't start thinking of it as a business (which may end up causing frustration and boredom after a while if viewed as such) then it may be quite enjoyable. The problem is where you find projects to design. You can only design your own website so many times and it gets stale. If you want to get into this as a hobby, try design/developing skins for such sites as WordPress, CSS Zen Garden, et al; you get the idear.

Another thought might be learning new language (one that you could actually apply to your area), or even American Sign Language. I've been dabbling in both German and trying to pick up ASL - which, since you only use your hands, is pretty cool as a language.

Good luck mate :)

18. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Astronomy, of course! It's a hobby that will follow you throughout your life. All you need is to locate the nearest astronomy society and sign up! You won't regret it. :)

Perhaps the second best advice here. ;)

19. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Bodybuilding. That's what I was doing at your age. Think of yourself making a sculpture of something that's chics are going to dig. Say it in the Ahnold voice.

20. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

21. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Build some model kits -- and once you start, you'll spend a lifetime collecting boxes of stuff to finish.

22. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

a good pair of nunchaku are the best toy I've found - start with a soft pair though :D

23. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

My hobby has been to code! Its pretty fun! Start with java if you like!