I need a little help with bootcamp please.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by philipma1957, Sep 28, 2011.

1. philipma1957, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

Okay I finally got around to loading windows 7 professional onto my mac pro. I am typing this with windows and not mac os x. I have never had a mac setup to run windows I always keep my pc with windows and my mac with lion or snow. So at this time I do not know how to leave windows 7 and go back to snow or lion. I have 3 hdds in the pro one is windows one is lion and one is snow. other then power down fully and just leaving in a mac osx drive with all other drives pulled how do I go back to my mac os x?.

2. philipma1957 thread starter macrumors 603

philipma1957

wtf?

3. vandersmissenc macrumors newbie

switching OS

There are a few ways to get back to mac. You can go down to the system tray if you installed the bootcamp utilities and on the little gray diamond, right click and say boot into mac os x. Otherwise, reboot the computer and right when it starts up (I usually do it right before or right at the startup noise) hold down "d" on the keyboard. Keep it help down and it will bring up a screen with your bootable drives(including usb drives) displayed. You can then use the arrow keys to select the drive you want to boot to, mac or windows, and then hit enter to actually boot. Another cool trick is that if you hold down "c" you will boot to the CD in the drive.

Try that out and let us know how it goes. :D

4. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I didn't know "d" did that. I use the Option key (ALT on Windows keyboards).

5. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

I use an application called refit that allows me to select my preferred os at startup. It works really well, and is free.

6. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

You know holding down CMD/ALT does the exact same thing?

7. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

I know ---had to google how to get back to os x the first time I used bootcamp, but found out about refit from a forum members here. I find it is far easier to manage my operating systems using this app as I spend about 40% of my time using Win 7:

Attached Files:

8. philipma1957 thread starter macrumors 603

philipma1957

thanks to all of the ideas and suggestions it is up and running and switching back and forth quickly.

Now I need to figure out why it says I am using a monitor with a vga connection when I have dvi to dvi and no vga connected but that is another thread.

9. mrxak macrumors 68000

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    Can you make rEFIt default to one OS unless a button is pressed, or does it always present you with the selection screen?