I need a second opinion after receiving a shocking damage report and horrendous quote.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bleak5, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Bleak5 macrumors newbie

Hi all, I spilt the tiniest drop of coffee on my closed 21month old macbook pro, after a few minutes the screen went off but the music was still playing. I took it back to Darty where I had purchased it complete with two year extended shop warranty. After a couple of weeks I was informed that it need a new logic board 2.7GH 8gb.Topcase with batterie OWW,and Display LCD . that came with a 1024 euro quote! I took the Macbook home as I do not have the will or the way to pay that. the daft thing is that I am typing this on my ancient well used 10. 6.8 macbook pro...

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Electronics and liquids don't mix is well known, sorry for your loss!

3. Bleak5 thread starter macrumors newbie

i'd best get rid of my dishwasher and washing machine then, oh and not forgetting the kettle!

4. Efrem macrumors regular

I share your pain. I learned the hard way that spilling coffee onto a computer doesn't improve either of them.

We can't give you a second opinion here, since we can't take your computer apart and look inside, but why not just take it somewhere else and ask them what they think?

5. Bleak5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Taking it somewhere else is the plan, I just wondered if a small drop on a closed lidded machine is a common factor in that amount of damage...

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You could have the shop show you the damage, or take a picture for you.
    "small drop on a closed machine", if the "small drop" got inside, and to the wrong place inside, it doesn't take much to cause damage.
    Take your MBPro to another shop. Simply tell them the video shut off. Don't volunteer the information about a liquid spill, unless the shop asks. If you brought one in to my shop, with those symptoms, that would be one of the first things that I ask - because the issue is common, and can result in significant damage, and Apple won't swap a liquid-damaged part. You have to purchase the part at full price (a failure means that the old part is returned for refurbishment, and the part is an exchange price, but liquid or accidental damage generally cannot be repaired, and Apple has to sell you the full-price part)

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Are you competent enough to take the machine apart yourself??

8. Bleak5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I would certainly try using a guide video,but if it invalidates the existing warranty and I can't find the parts a lot cheaper then there would be no advantage in diy?

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Likely your warranty is void now anyway due to the liquid damage, so if you feel comfortable doing it yourself and can find the new logic board for cheaper than they are charging you then it couldn't hurt to try.

10. palooza, Nov 24, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2016

palooza macrumors newbie

palooza

As somebody who repairs the actual logic boards, chances are you've just broken your backlight fuse.

Definitely find a better repairer that can repair your logic board as it will save you money.

Sounds like they want to squeeze you for every bit of money possible. Your battery obviously works for example if the laptop is on and playing music.

Bit hard for me to translate French with google translate, but it sounds like the following guy could help you

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/VENTE-DE-REP...hash=item3f1796b811:m:m5g0j_LnetkWt4fWf8YDzOw

11. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I suppose it wasn't just "the tiniest drop of coffee". Must have been enough to get into your computer.

You go to the nearest Apple Store and ask them very politely if they can help you. They don't have to do you any favours, because the damage is your fault, but they might. Might be considerably less.

If only the display is broken, then you turned your MBP into a perfectly fine Mac Mini. Just a bit flatter and wider than usual. Which you could use as a desktop machine with a monitor plugged on, or sell on eBay.

12. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

I'm sorry for your water problem. My iPhone 3G got dropped in a toilet so I can kinda feel your pain.
    With that said, I agree with taking to another shop.
    It's like walking into an auto repair and saying my BMW has this problem. The parts cost about the same as a Toyota, but just saying BMW has a shop seeing $ signs. Good luck getting it repaired.

13. Bleak5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Got to say I am over the moon with all your positive responses,thanks peeps. If it helps the diagnosis then I'd like to point out that when I took the 'broke' machine back from the shop it all worked fine, screen included, I worked with it for a couple of hours before the screen blacked out again. Now it is permanent although there is still keyboard back lighting, battery charging OK and audible start up sounds. Just incase you are wondering why I don't just take it another shop or expert...where I live is pretty rural and the nearest apple dealer is an all day trip! also french customer after service is appalling! I am looking around for an external monitor then maybe I can narrow things down a bit.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 26, 2016 ---
    Thanks for the link palooza, I am checking this.