Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smokechaser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Kansas City
I hear this all the time around the office: What urges people to buy iphones over android phones?

I've owned every single iphone since the original and my arguments never seem to shut these people up. They don't understand "its the overall package" , "it just works", "reliable", etc.

I ask the android people the same thing, why do they go android and the most common response I get is "Apple is evil".

Thoughts?

smokechaser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Kansas City
You don't hear people getting so heated about why a Toyota is better than a Honda, or why an LG dishwasher is better than Whirlpool. Who cares lol. You enjoy your phone, what more do you need to prove?

Exactly. But they start it not me. Such a troll response. I swear the quality of responses on this forum have changed.

Reactions: Broadus

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
When I ask someone why they like Android, I usually get how they like being able to customize a lot of the features. Valid point but they don't seem to understand that customization and "tweaking" is not for everyone. Also, at least for me, using Android is like using the generic brand of something. It's a great attempt at a copy but still not the real thing.

sketdansuu

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2014
for me, I like iOS because of the support it gets from Apple and third party developers. Most if not all apps almost always comes to iOS first or gets updates much quicker. (Even Google updates its apps faster on iOS than Android)

Reactions: AngerMGMT and flur

DravenGSX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
I tell them "Because I like it. It's not for everybody. The great thing about the world we live in today, is that we have a choice! The innovation lately has been awesome, hasn't it?"

Seriously, the fanboy wars are pointless. So much negativity over what device somebody else likes to use.

koulmj

Suspended
Mar 18, 2013
I will say my one solid argument, Apple makes iPhones and IOS work with Laptops and Desktops. Android makes stuff that works with Android, but I never felt like moving information from the Windows or OS X platform to a Droid was as easy as working with the total apple solution of OS X + IPhone...infact, OS X to Adroid sometimes required a 3rd party app.

Reactions: aesc80 and Broadus

potassium404

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2009
Exactly. But they start it not me. Such a troll response. I swear the quality of responses on this forum have changed.
I find that there's two reasons for this. 1, they are trying to justify for themselves why they are using the device they are arguing for. Or 2, they feel that they've made the right decision on what they purchased and they feel that their decision is what others should believe as well.

It's honestly silly and goes both ways, but it really should be try both, decide what you like best and stick with that. Their opinion may not be yours but it's funny to hear when they try to convince you that they are right. This goes both ways.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011

Not sure where you even get an inkling of trolling in my response. I am basically saying enjoy your phone and don't get baited into arguments like a child.

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
The customization argument usually can work in your favor. Oh so what do you like to customize? I can change the icons, colors, and fonts! Oh....ok......have fun with that.

derekshank

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
There are all sorts of pros and cons on both sides of the argument. There is no smoking gun argument, or else the competition wouldn't exist.

I get annoying Apple haters every so often... and I just tell them "I like my phone. It is a good phone. Do you like your phone? I'm sure it is a nice phone. Why do you care what I buy?" That usually ends those annoying conversations.

If you're interested having an actual conversation with your coworkers though, here are a couple of my "go to" responses:

1) Having one company that designs both the hardware and the software to work seamlessly together creates a smoother overall experience. There is all sorts of data out there that shows how iPhones, despite their "lower specs" are faster and more efficient than the competition.

2) iOS is far safer than Andriod when it comes to malware and the like.

3) Apple doesn't sell my information. Why is Apple considered "evil", compared to Google?

4) I like Apple's integration through my other Apple products (OSX, AppleTV, AppleWatch), that an Android phone doesn't offer me.

5) I don't need a fully customized operating system. I need something that works reliably. iOS offers that. I'm very familiar with it, and I don't see many incredibly useful advantages to switching at this point.

At the end of the day, there are nice products out there that don't have an Apple logo on them. If some of the features in those other products make someone want a non-Apple product, good for them. But I've never understood the need to argue, or to convince other people that they've chosen the "wrong" phone... so that's why I usually stick with the initial response.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Honestly? I just say that they're all great phones and that I simply have a preference. If someone feels the need to argue about their phone and get worked up about it, it's probably because they're not secure in their choice. I'd even tell them that. Also, cognitive dissonance requires a person to talk down whatever they didn't choose because they need to believe that it's the best and that there are no other options. The other day my friend said to me that she wished that Apple would 'wow and excite' her again, so I asked her what Android had done recently that wowed and excited her. Answer? Nothing, lol. Truth is, both sides have their pros and cons and they're both developed well enough to be a legit choice and not demeaned.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
For me it is mostly the polish of the apps. For example, the amex app on the IOS is superior to the amex app on Android. There is toucdID, and the resolution is actually optimized for my display. This happens with a lot of apps I use on a regular basis.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
My main reasons for using iOS
1) Tight integration with my Macs (instant hotspot, handoff, continuity, iCloud Photo Library, etc, etc)
2) Apple Watch
3) Apple music
4) Apple Pay (or at least I will once Barclays get their fingers out!)
5) Form Factor
6) Messages and Facetime
7) General "fit and finish"

However, for me, the biggest thing is this: I used Android for 2 years during the 5/5s release as I didn't like the form factor and for those 2 years I found myself having to "tinker" with it to get things to work how I wanted them to. Back on the iPhone for a year and I haven't had to do that once: It really does "just work".

Also, as all the main google android apps are also available on iOS there's very little you can do with an Android phone (beside customisation which I can't be bothered with) that you can't do on an iPhone

Reactions: ckurt25

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I hear this all the time around the office: What urges people to buy iphones over android phones?

I've owned every single iphone since the original and my arguments never seem to shut these people up.
Maybe instead of a solid argument, you should just ignore the bait they're trolling you with.

If the pattern is "no matter what I say, they never shut up", a new/solid argument isn't going to help you, because chances are, they're only doing this to see your reaction.

So why keep reacting?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
The reason why I buy an iPhone isn't likely to satisfy someone who made a different choice
Any more than the reason I bought a Ford F150 4X4 would satisfy someone who chose a Chevy Z71 or Ram or Tundra
Or my reasons for a rMBP over a Windows 10 computer
Or anything else

Point is, I don't feel the need to justify my purchase choices to anyone
Nor do I feel the need to convince anyone of a choice they should make

There is no "solid argument" to be made
If you know why you bought an iPhone, who cares what an office buddy thinks?

I'd rather talk trash about sports than mobile devices :)
Cause in the end, that's all iPhone v Android is... trash talking

Reactions: aristobrat

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Slap them and yell "it's a question of OPINIONS, you b****".

Seriously, if you see haters and fanboys, you yell at them. You won't convince them otherwise.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.

I've owned every single iphone since the original and my arguments never seem to shut these people up. They don't understand "its the overall package" , "it just works", "reliable", etc.

I ask the android people the same thing, why do they go android and the most common response I get is "Apple is evil".

Thoughts?

I'm sure this has been said already, but you don't need an argument. You need to stop trying to convince people that your desires/preferences are valid. If someone can't accept that, how exactly is that your problem?

AYNOM

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
Neither platform is absolutely better than the other, there's trade-offs, who cares.

As far as the actual phones go, I bought my Galaxy Note 3 because it was superior to the iPhone 5 in every possible way, since I was not invested in the Apple ecosystem. Apple has finally caught up with the 6S, so I'll move back to iPhone (after owning the 3G/S/4/S prior to my Note 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.