I need advice from some of the wiser MR users

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ghall, Jul 28, 2007.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I'm emotionally distressed. When the iPhone came out, and now don't go thinking I'm emotionally distressed because of the iPhone just bear with me, I made a promise to myself that I would get a job and work for the money to buy one, but I was unable to get a job, and at this point there is no way I can get a job since I have about a month left of summer break. So I have no way of meeting my goal. Again, I am not distressed because of the actual iPhone, I could live with out one, I am emotionally distressed that I was unable to a achieve my goal of getting a job and working for the iPhone.

Now, I'm watching what I have saved up dwindle away, bit by bit, which is depressing me even more. I don't know what I can do. I promised myself an iPhone by the end of July, but I realized a week ago that that's probably not going to happen. So now the goal is by the time I start school, which is now looking impossible as well. I can't get a job at this point, who's going to hire somebody for less than a month? I have nothing of value to sell, except my laptop, which I'd only give up if someone's life depended on it.

Again, I'm not distressed about not getting the iPhone itself, I'm not a materialistic brat. I'm more distressed about not being able to meet my goal.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Not meeting a goal and growing from the experience is character building.

Now it's time to move on to your next goal.

3. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Well, my next goal is to have as much fun as I can fit in before school starts again. :eek:

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i agree. failures should become learning experiences. figure out why you didn't get a job, and think about how you can make the situation better. are you going to work during the school year? if not, make a new goal. it's important not to beat yourself up too much about it. make a new goal and move on.

5. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

I actually can't. My parents think I should concentrate on my school work during the school year. I guess that makes sense, since this is my senior year of high school, and I'm going to be up to my neck in work. That's why my goal is pretty much unattainable at this point.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Put that goal behind you, and move on. Dwelling on the past can't get you anywhere; rather, learn from your past and use that experience next time. :)

But think about this carefully: are you sure your not upset about this goal in particular because it meant getting (or not getting) an iPhone. ...We set goals for ourselves everyday, and many we never accomplish, but it's no big deal. What makes this goal so different?

PS - Your parents sound very wise.

7. applecrag macrumors regular

You could try getting an "under the table" job or something along the lines of cutting grass. Just learn from this mistake and next summer line up a job in March or even February for the summer. Remember to never make promises you might not be able to keep. Most importantly, stay in school and make good grades...that can bring you a job that can easily pay for an iPhone. :)

8. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Well, yes, a bit of it has to do with the iPhone. I've never wanted a little gadget so much in my life. But I think it mostly has to do with all the time and effort I put in trying to get a job. I'm sure the fact that it's the iPhone played a part, but it's not a very significant part.

I had thought of that...my uncle has a landscaping business I wonder if he needs any help with that?

See, all I need when I'm down is some wise words to get me motivated and thinking again. I will give him a call tomorrow!

9. applecrag macrumors regular

Just out of curiosity what kind of job did you apply for?

10. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

You name it, I probably applied there. :)

...well, unless there's not anything like it in Rhode Island. :D

11. applecrag macrumors regular

By the looks of your website, you obviously know a lot about Macs and computers in general. Ever think of putting an ad in the paper for web designs or computer help or something? Might sound dumb, but hey, it's an idea.

12. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

I always thought it was a silly idea, but I guess it's worth a shot. I'll look into that as well.

Oh, and BTW, thanks. :D

13. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Quote "End of the World" by Stimulator

The end of the world is upon us
    Sooner or later we're all gonna turn to dust
    So get up! Forget the past
    Go outside and have a blast

So in conclusion, don't beat yourself down because you failed to achieve one of your goals. Use this to work harder to achieve your future goals. Thinking positive is key to living a happy life. (Although I may be a hypocrite saying that :p)

14. applecrag macrumors regular

No prob man. I was in your position this summer (Except I graduated), but with some friend's help, I got a place as a server at Outback Steakhouse. Best of luck to you and I hope you get that iPhone. :)

15. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I was disappointed when I couldn't get a job for an Alltel reseller because I like working with technology, but I actually found something else.

Do you have some sort of journalistic/writing abilities? If so, you might want to look for a blogging/writing job on something you are passionate about. I'm 15 and I have two of these right now (one paid, the other volunteer) with another one lined up when I turn 16 next week. I mean, the pay isn't very good ($50/month or so), but it's something to bring in and give you a little extra cash on the side. Plus I think it's fun to write about something you enjoy. I mean, it'll only take 30 or so minutes out of your day to write one entry.

If you are interested, I'll post a few links back up here to sites where there are new listings often.

I don't know if you'll have this kind of time, but perhaps eBay things for people? I'm also doing this and while it's a lot of work and sometimes quite boring, it'll get you through.

Also, like applecrag said, maybe do a web design for somebody or whatnot.

Best of luck to you.

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Someone famous (Sorry I forgot who) said that if you attain all of your goals, then they are not set high enough, or words to that effect.

Failure is part of life. The key is to learn from our failures, move on and keep trying.

Looking back on life, some of my most major accomplishments were those that others said that I could not do for whatever reason. Now that I think about it, I should thank them for if I had heeded their guidance I would have not done even a small part of what I have accomplished so far. So thank you to all the nay sayers! :)

17. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

I'd like to see those links as well. Extra cash in college is always a plus.

18. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I wouldn't say i'm one of the wiser MR users, but i'll voice my opinion anyways :D
    I can totally relate to your situation. I told myself, after i quit Best Buy, that i was going to get a job this summer. Before i knew it, i had my heart set on working apple retail, but i'm 17 and you have to be 18. While i'm waiting for this to pan out, i realize that i still don't have a job, and school starts in the beginning of september. I currently have no income coming in, and i'm going into my senior year, and i really wanna buy a car. I will probably work during the school year, wherever i can find a part time job.
    Could you find a job that has limited hours to keep during the school year?
    My best advice would be to just try to find a job, even if it is only for the last month before summer. Having a little money saved up is better than earning nothing all summer. If you worked full time for a month, you could have your iPhone in no time. The important thing is to not get down on yourself. I have been rejected or not responded to from a ton of jobs this summer, but i keep trying.
    And if you can't get a job, you can always try the summer after you graduate :)

19. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I completely agree with you. Failure is part of life, as you said, because we learn what to do, what to improve on, and what not to do. People said I couldn't do things, but you know what? I did them, and much better than I thought I could.

Alright, here's five sites that I frequent.

Deborah Ng - Deborah posts almost everyday with more than 15 links to Craigslist sites all across the country, you'll want to check out the details of the site before you try and get them. Also, people will "flag" them for removal, so they can have first dibs.

ProBlogger - ProBlogger has at times some really good paying jobs on here. It is mainly targeted towards tech blogs, but there are the occasional ones.

FreelanceSwitch - This hasn't been updated as much, probably because it doesn't recieve that much traffic, but I got my latest gig from here.

Performancing
    - Once again, this hasn't been updated since a week ago listing wise, but they generally have some really good job options.

Your local Craigslist site
    - They may not be the biggest jobs, or not that many jobs at all, but sometimes you will be able to find a good one and get it. I got the other gig from here.

I wish you luck and ghall, I hope you get that iPhone.

20. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Those look interesting. Thanks. And so do I. :)

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That is a good reason not to get an iPhone, more time to study.:)

22. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

That's crap. You do like no work senior year, and once 3rd quarter comes you're pretty much done. :p You did your most work junior and sophomore year, senior year has way less.

I worked 2 nights a week at a local restaurant my senior year and it was enough work to give me some cash but not too much that I couldn't handle doing my homework (I hardly ever got any by like February anyways and I did the little bit that I had in study hall).

Talk to your parents and see if you can get them to agree to 1-2 nights a week. You could even work a weekend night so it wouldn't interfere with school. Yeah, I know that sucks because you won't be able to go out because you have work instead, but if you need cash it's not a big deal. Plus you still have the other weekend night to go out.

23. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

I agree with the above - possibly working one evening a week really isn't going to kill you, and it gives you money to be independent and survive on your own money (not savings!) during term time too.

I wouldn't get an iPhone however. I know it's beautiful, and I too would love one, but they're seriously expensive for somebody who isn't working, is in school and is going to be legally bound to a contract for two years. There are much better things to spend your money on - don't get locked into a contract cuz' for two years, a whole chunk of your money is already taken for.

24. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

You can still look for a job and keep the job when you start school. You will have to cut down your hours during school, but why not also have money during school. It would be easier to find a job as so many students will just quit their jobs when returning to school.

25. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

Hmm...

Mow people's grass
    Give out weekend papers (with bike or car)
    Babysit
    Help older people around the yard (They pay BIG :D )

Thats all I can think of. How old are you though?

EDIT: I see your 17, you are old enough to work anywhere (unless your hundreds of miles away from civilization). Here is a quote from a wise old man: "Anyone willing to work can find a job"