I need Advice too~~~~~~~~ (2.6 vs 2.8 15" MBP)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by daniviva, Jul 9, 2009.

1. daniviva macrumors newbie

hi, everyone~

I am gonna buy a 15" Macbook Pro soon. Right now, I am considering the 2.6 Ghz and 2.8 Ghz model..... and I am gonna run Photoshop, Adobe CS 4, and Painter X on it.

the difference between the 2 models is the CPU speed (2.66 / 2.8 Ghz) and the GPU's Ram (256 Mb / 512 Mb),( and I am gonna upgrade the hd to 7200 rpm anyway) so I want to know if the 2.8 Ghz model 's performance really shows a big difference than the 2.6 Ghz one ? Which one will you guys suggest to buy?

Thx a lot~!!

-Dani

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The extra GHz always is welcomed across the system; however, for the things you need (Photoshop and similar programs), more RAM is what is needed. In this regard, I recommend getting the 2.66GHz machine if all you need is normal usage + Photoshop and similar programs. However, if you plan to do some gaming and movie editing, then I suggest getting the 2.8GHz machine.

BTW, the GDDR3 memory amount (256MB v 512MB) has no impact on real world performance.

3. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Go for the 2.8 GHz if you can afford it, because you can't upgrade processor speed after you buy the MBP. 2.8 GHz will definitely help you with with your programs' abilities to render their drawings.

As stated, focus on upgrading RAM if you can, although RAM is pretty expensive.

4. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

I have the 2.66GHz MBP with the 9600M GT. Even with the 9400M Photoshop CS4 is snappy enough. But with the 9600M GT enabled it's maybe a little faster but I complain about the speed of Photoshop on either GPU. IMHO you'll be very pleased with the 2.66GHz MBP, the extra 256MB on the 9600M GT on the next MBP up is of negligible importance. :)

5. joehahn macrumors regular

the general rule with computers, is to get the best that you can afford. If you have the money for the upper model and are willing to use it, go right on ahead and get the 2.8ghz model

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Not really... Why would someone get a computer which power you're not using. I think it's more how important computer is to you, how much you use it and what for. Many people could afford Mac Pro or high-end MBP but are they needed for paying bills and checking e-mail few times a month.

7. kemo macrumors 6502a

kemo

Yep, I think, 2,66 is enough mate, Im running PS on my Penryn 2.4GHz, and all is running fast and smooth, Ive never noticed some lagging...also have 7200rpm WD Raptor and 4GB of RAm, all is fine,..so as mentioned above, when you wont need it to playing or so, why buy 2,8Ghz...

8. daniviva thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys~!!

Your suggestions definitely help me to make a decision!!

:)

9. Halvdan macrumors newbie

Short answer: Unless the added speed saves you valuable time (time does equal money if you're using it for a living) in compressing or rendering time etc. - never go for the top spec. It's just not worth it.

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I mean it sort of is understood that comparing between two processors, go with what you can afford with that is the best. It doesn't hurt by any means.

11. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

buy the better processor if you can afford it especially with Laptops as you can't really upgrade that after the fact. This should allow you to squeeze more life out of it in the long run.